If Pillars of Eternity had romances

C. S. Lewis wrote about the four types of love.  He considered friendship to be love.  I agree with him.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You, too? Thought I was the only one
  • Like 2

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

C. S. Lewis wrote about the four types of love.  He considered friendship to be love.  I agree with him.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You, too? Thought I was the only one

The party is a group of well armed dangerous people who are also friends with each other.

So does that mean they are an... Army of Lovers?

:dancing:

• Like 1

It's good to criticize things you love.

The party is a group of well armed dangerous people who are also friends with each other.

So does that mean they are an... Army of Lovers?

:dancing:

I approve this because you didn't go where I thought you were going...

"The party is a group of well armed dangerous people who are also Friends with each other."

Edited by kaiki
  • Like 1

Are you saying that you believe that love is purely an excuse for sex and nothing more?

Oh, come on. There's got to be a sexual element, I think. I'm no love expert. 

So if someone is incapable of having sex they can't have love?

I would assume that without the right equipment they would also lack certain feelings.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Maybe romance is a little unrealistic considering the setting, but what about just sex? I find it odd that in a world where there is little to do in your down time there isn't even sex. Witcher seems to work this into the game fairly easily. Not talking wife, kids, house with a white picket fence, just "hey we might get killed tomorrow ... wanta bang tonight?"

Snip

I would assume that without the right equipment they would also lack certain feelings.

Are you saying that you believe that love is purely an excuse for sex and nothing more?

Oh, come on. There's got to be a sexual element, I think. I'm no love expert. 

No there doesn't.  That is a very narrow definition of love.   It excludes Parents and children, love between siblings, between close friends.  the Biblical brotherly love.   You can have love without sex and sex without love.  

This thread sure needs some Caravan of Love!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1__6ft9y5c

I think that is beautiful.  Thank you for posting it.

Edited by Nakia

nakia_banner.jpg

I really wish this forum had a dislike button.. honestly, calling someone a troll because they ask about romancing?  Saying female gamers ruined the female chars in Inquisition?  Speaking of trolling!

I think any of them have the potential for "romance".  They don't all have to lead to some form of marriage - romance can be as mild as flirting, all the way up to the physical demonstrations.  That said, a full-blown romance usually detracts from the game, and I think they have their hands full fixing the content they've given us.  I am, however, a bit disappointed they limited their creative freedom to NPC's using the work f--k and Durance constatly referring to Magran as a whore.

Seeing the fine work that's been done by modders with the Infinity Engine, I'd like to see them give us mod tools.

• Like 1

Snip

Have you ever heard of a eunuch being in love?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Snip

Yes, I have known disabled people who were "in love" but there again we have a specific narrow usage of the world love.   It is quite possible to love someone without being "in love" with them.  

nakia_banner.jpg

Meh, I do enjoy that aspect of Bioware games, but not every game needs to have everything in it. PoE can be a pure adventuring old-school dungeon-crawling fun time, and Bioware can make the 'personal' story type games where romance is a better fit.

Snip

Yes, I have known disabled people who were "in love" but there again we have a specific narrow usage of the world love. 

Were they straight up born without reproductive organs?

It is quite possible to love someone without being "in love" with them.  

I guess that's true. Romantic love and familial bonds should really use different words rather than share the word "love".

Edited by Namutree

Snip

Yes, I have known disabled people who were "in love" but there again we have a specific narrow usage of the world love. 

I guess that's true. Romantic love and familial bonds should really use different words rather than share the word "love".

Moving the goalposts... you asked if people had heard of eunuchs being in love and now add in "But they must be born it!" when people responded in the positive.  Many eunuchs were made eunuchs before puberty, effectively preventing them from developing into men and yet they still could have sexual desires for others (which seems to be what you really mean when you say love, not love itself), close enough?  People can also have romantic love without engaging in sex as well, some people just mistake sexual desire for love.

Sexual desire seems to be the different word for the kind of love you are thinking off, so there's the different word for ya, desire.

I can totally see a Godlike travelling the world for another like themselves who can love the way they do.  Maybe they even feel emotions differently from the others?

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

If have no idea what people consider friendship if they don't consider it love.

• Like 2

Snip

Moving the goalposts... you asked if people had heard of eunuchs being in love and now add in "But they must be born it!" when people responded in the positive.  Many eunuchs were made eunuchs before puberty, effectively preventing them from developing into men and yet they still could have sexual desires for others (which seems to be what you really mean when you say love, not love itself), close enough?  

Close enough. 

Seeing the fine work that's been done by modders with the Infinity Engine, I'd like to see them give us mod tools.

You mean, like the mod that lets you bang your sister?

http://imoen.blindmonkey.org/

That mod sucks.

I thought it was refreshing to not see romances. Games that have them always have that one cringe worthy conversation that comes out of nowhere before the final battle to make love or something that always felt forced. Well I tend to play for story and not romantic subplots.

• Like 1

If have no idea what people consider friendship if they don't consider it love.

As far as the Greek term goes I've only heard of the these:

AGAPE which is the complete giving of love to another person. Brotherly love. Love thy neighbor type of thing.

PHILEO which is the affection, emotion, a fondness one person has for another. Friends, family, being treated as equals.

STORGE which is the natural affection. Parent/child love.

EROS which refers to love between a husband and wife. Sexual, passion.

So I suppose the game could use a little philia and eros.

• Like 1

CybAnt1, on 04 May 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

There also was a slight creep factor to the Jaheira romance, as it's literally right after the death of her husband, for which you're indirectly responsible, and in the first game, she was sorta your relative (your auntie) although not truly by blood. 

The forbidden fruit is the sweeter, no?

*throws smoke bombs in the thread and vanishes into the dark corners of the forums*

Moving the goalposts... you asked if people had heard of eunuchs being in love and now add in "But they must be born it!" when people responded in the positive.  Many eunuchs were made eunuchs before puberty, effectively preventing them from developing into men and yet they still could have sexual desires for others (which seems to be what you really mean when you say love, not love itself), close enough?  People can also have romantic love without engaging in sex as well, some people just mistake sexual desire for love.

Sexual desire seems to be the different word for the kind of love you are thinking off, so there's the different word for ya, desire.

I can totally see a Godlike travelling the world for another like themselves who can love the way they do.  Maybe they even feel emotions differently from the others?

I know I missed most of the boat on this, but if memory serves me, castrato Giovanni Velluti was well known for his sexual misadventures (often with wives whose husbands didn't realize that him having been castrated before puberty didn't mean he couldn't have sex).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man