I need a true map of the world, or something

I´m lost with the lore of this game. This multicultural thing of countries with mixed races is killing me. I know there are old empires beyond the seas and new countries in this part of the world that gained independency recently, but for god´s sake, each time I think I got it, some random dialogue with NPCs about their background makes me think I´m missing the point entirely. Now I´n not even sure if the vailian republics are actually in this part of the ocean, wich race are the natives or where the feck is Readceras. I´ve read the diary but they are isolated dots of information, I can´t draw the line between them. A basic lesson from an expert, please?

Edited by Vanant
  • Like 1

Raedceras should share a border with drywood since they invaded it, not sure about the rest

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

Raedceras should share a border with drywood since they invaded it, not sure about the rest

Are they natives or colonists? If they are colonists, from wich empire?

My character isn´t an amnesiac moron, I think a basic historical context should be clear for the player from the begining, since this is an adult game with a deep political background. I´m a noble from Old vailia and until today I though that it was one of the vailian republics. I´ve been working for that embassy and helping pallegina like a retard. :getlost:

• Like 1

I beliee both countries were colonies of aedyr

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

My character isn´t an amnesiac moron, I think a basic historical context should be clear for the player from the begining, since this is an adult game with a deep political background. I´m a noble from Old vailia and until today I though that it was one of the vailian republics. I´ve been working for that embassy and helping pallegina like a retard. :getlost:

Both (natives and colonists, think about modern people of South America, it's pretty close what happened with Readceras through years). Readceras is north east of Dyrwood and geographically part of southern Ixamitl Plains  colonised by Aedyr Empire. Republics are south of Dyrwood and were colonies of Old Vailia which is north-west from Republics. Dyrwood is surrounded by Republics, Readceras and Aedyr if we consider maritime border. Other  major civilisations are located north of Dyrwood (Rauatai, Living Lands, Ixamitl). South we can find less urban nations like Naasitaq or White That Wends. I'd say that Eora's cultures are strongly concentrated North than South (exception for Eastern Reach cultures like Dyrwood, Readceras and Republics).

Edited by White Phoenix

Both (natives and colonists, think about modern people of South America, it's pretty close what happened with Readceras through years). Readceras is north east of Dyrwood and geographically part of southern Ixamitl Plains  colonised by Aedyr Empire. Republics are south of Dyrwood and were colonies of Old Vailia which is north-west from Republics. Dyrwood is surrounded by Republics, Readceras and Aedyr if we consider maritime border. Other  major civilisations are located north of Dyrwood (Rauatai, Living Lands, Ixamitl). South we can find less urban nations like Naasitaq or White That Wends. I'd say that Eora's cultures are strongly concentrated North than South (exception for Eastern Reach cultures like Dyrwood, Readceras and Republics).

Ok many thanks. And regarding Glanfathans, Do they have a country with proper borders or they are considered like tribes living inside Dyrwood?

Edited by Vanant

I'd say that Eora's cultures are strongly concentrated North than South (exception for Eastern Reach cultures like Dyrwood, Readceras and Republics).

i think thats because all of the 'known' Eora is south of the equator (it mentiones Aedyr being equatorialy and north(west) of drwood

Ok many thanks. And regarding Glanfathans, Do they have a country with proper borders or they are considered like tribes living inside Dyrwood?

They are tribal, and seem to have their own teritories acording to map on google search, but i think their teritories are considered a part of drywood

I'd say that Eora's cultures are strongly concentrated North than South (exception for Eastern Reach cultures like Dyrwood, Readceras and Republics).

i think thats because all of the 'known' Eora is south of the equator (it mentiones Aedyr being equatorialy and north(west) of drwood

Yeah, I think that this is for engine/art reasons.  Presuming that you keep "up=north" as the standard orientation, isometric-perspective maps look nicer when the sun is in the northern sky.  The shadows falling 'forward' towards the camera help the viewer perceive the objects' height. 

The multicultural thing isn't really as pronounced as you'd think. I think it's a drum too oft beaten on in the game, but ultimately, the various groups are rather homogeneous. For example, the descriptions for elves plainly state that Eir Glanfath is mostly elves, and the description for Aumaua mention Rauatai as "theirs". And for example the White March is clearly a (fallen) dwarven settlement, despite it being sponsored by the Grand Empire of Vailia (Old Vailia, not to be confused with the Vailian Republics).

The only thing that throws it off for me is that South is what is traditionally the North (frozen tundra, colonized, etc) and the North is jungles and stuff, the Living Lands, afaik. I realize it's not hard to imagine on an alien world, but it just.. throws me off.

Ok many thanks. And regarding Glanfathans, Do they have a country with proper borders or they are considered like tribes living inside Dyrwood?

They are tribal, and seem to have their own teritories acording to map on google search, but i think their teritories are considered a part of drywood

Maybe by the Dyrwoodans, formally, but it's very clear that they are functionally separate, once you get to Twin Elms, especially if you're doing Pallegina's quest. For all intents and purposes, Eir Glanfath is a separate nation of tribal forest nomads, reaching from south of Twin Elms up to and including parts of White March.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

The only thing that throws it off for me is that South is what is traditionally the North (frozen tundra, colonized, etc) and the North is jungles and stuff, the Living Lands, afaik. I realize it's not hard to imagine on an alien world, but it just.. throws me off.

thats because we live in Euro-USA centric culture, i imagine its more natrual for someone from south of equator

The multicultural thing isn't really as pronounced as you'd think. I think it's a drum too oft beaten on in the game, but ultimately, the various groups are rather homogeneous.

I think it´s more the lack of background than political correctness. When I play Skyrim, I can see Orcs living in cities, working as smiths or drinking in taverns. Then, I can travel to an Orc fortress and I see where did they came from and how is their culture. But when I see Orlans in this game, I can´t tell for my life what´s the matter with them. Are they civilized natives?  former slaves? colonists?... :blink:

If you have the Pillars of Eternity corebook, it's all there. 

it does poor job to describe world outside of Dyrwood area.

I'd say that's intentional. For Obsidian it's better to be vague now so they can adapt the setting as the games progress.

If you have the Pillars of Eternity corebook, it's all there. 

it does poor job to describe world outside of Dyrwood area.

I'd say that's intentional. For Obsidian it's better to be vague now so they can adapt the setting as the games progress.

Yeah, but my message was only to point out that if you are interested about other parts of Eora, than Dyrwood region, then that book will not help you much.

It's been said that it's deliberately muddled, so that those that develop stories in other parts of Eora are free to fill things up, without being constrained too much by what has been said. If you all think about it, there's a lot we don't know about even the places that do come up a lot, like the Vailian Republics and the Aedyre Empire. How are they ruled? What are their major cities? There's a lot of freedom for interpretation.

I know it feels like a lack of stuff to us, the players, at this time, but this approach is actually very common in PnP RPG:s, except that a lot of the very-most popular ones have been around for so long that all the bits and pieces have been filled out, thrown out, rewritten and filled out again a dozen times over by now.

t50aJUd.jpg

It's been said that it's deliberately muddled, so that those that develop stories in other parts of Eora are free to fill things up, without being constrained too much by what has been said. If you all think about it, there's a lot we don't know about even the places that do come up a lot, like the Vailian Republics and the Aedyre Empire. How are they ruled? What are their major cities? There's a lot of freedom for interpretation.

I know it feels like a lack of stuff to us, the players, at this time, but this approach is actually very common in PnP RPG:s, except that a lot of the very-most popular ones have been around for so long that all the bits and pieces have been filled out, thrown out, rewritten and filled out again a dozen times over by now.

I have feeling that those things were poorly explained or left for collector's book. It's a shame after beating the game I learned nothing new about Aedyr. Only Rauatai was well done in conversation with Kana, Vailian Republics partially and Naasitaq. Zero objective information about Readceras, its colonial history, people and habits in game, it went to collector's book (Durance is too subjective and serves as opinion like Eder).

About political system:

Aedyr is kingdom (hereditary monarchy) ruled by king and queen

Vailian Republics are cities-states ruled by ducs, have five grand cities as 'capital cities'

Readceras is theocratic regency ruled by priests (former kingdom)

Edited by White Phoenix

I think living lands is really far north. If the landmasses were more or less equal in the north and south hemispheres then both hemispheres would be nearly as seasonal as our northern hemisphere. With the way the world is described I get the feeling that both sides are very islandy, so it might just be a warm planet.

It's good to criticize things you love.