Autoleveled companions got their talents and abilities according some scheme, but does that fit your idea of their builds according to characters?

I don't mean optimized or some tricky build, I mean - which talents / abilities / powers are most fitting lore wise?

Edited by ErlKing

I haven't given it much thought, because I try to beeline for CNPC:s so I don't have to deal with the enormous experience bonus you get for smaller parties, but Edér stands out as gaining something that I think is downright weird. Weapon Focus (Ruffian). He's a peasant that was a soldier in a war - why he gets Weapon Focus (Ruffian) I'll never know - he should've gotten Weapon Focus Peasant or Soldier, imo.

But I don't think that Obsidian attaches any value to the mechanical representation of characters at all, so it was probably entirely a build decision. Weapon Focus (Ruffian) is easily one of the best ones (Sabre, Stiletto, Blunderbuss and Pistol? Yes please.). This is further supported by the changes they made to Attributes first in 1.03 and then now in 1.05. The builds and attributes Obsidian has given them has absolutely zero to do with the characters themselves, sadly.

t50aJUd.jpg

I haven't given it much thought, because I try to beeline for CNPC:s so I don't have to deal with the enormous experience bonus you get for smaller parties, but Edér stands out as gaining something that I think is downright weird. Weapon Focus (Ruffian). He's a peasant that was a soldier in a war - why he gets Weapon Focus (Ruffian) I'll never know - he should've gotten Weapon Focus Peasant or Soldier, imo.

But I don't think that Obsidian attaches any value to the mechanical representation of characters at all, so it was probably entirely a build decision. Weapon Focus (Ruffian) is easily one of the best ones (Sabre, Stiletto, Blunderbuss and Pistol? Yes please.). This is further supported by the changes they made to Attributes first in 1.03 and then now in 1.05. The builds and attributes Obsidian has given them has absolutely zero to do with the characters themselves, sadly.

Using Obsidian logic explanation for Ruffian and Eder would be : We didnt want eder to be too good or stronger than random Fighter you made on your first playtrough so we put useless talent on him to keep "balance" intact

Edited by Atchod

Using Obsidian logic explanation for Ruffian and Eder would be : We didnt want eder to be too good or stronger than random Fighter you made on your first playtrough so we put useless talent on him to keep "balance" intact

What are you talking about? First of all, if you pick up Edér at the "right" level (or "wrong", depending on how you want to cut it), Edér starts with both Weapon Focus Ruffian and Rapid Recovery, despite only having enough levels for either one, and second, Weapon Focus Ruffian is one of the best Weapon Focus Groups there are. Sabres are easily one of the best medium weapons, Stilettos are easily one of the best small weapons, and you get two different firearms, Pistols and Blunderbi.

The only thing that speaks against Edér is that his stats are split in twain between Might and Constitution, but it doesn't really stop him. I know they changed his Attributes around in 1.03, when they decided that there is no overlap between Attributes and roleplay anyway, which arguably nerfed him a little (Res/Per instead of Int; I'm surprised they aren't switching his Might and his Int, similar to how they're switching Grieving Mother's Per and Int in 1.05) but he's easily nearly as good as anything the player puts out (but nothing overshadows the main character, what with unique talents and such).

t50aJUd.jpg

Because you need a weapon focus ruffian early on eder Yeh right oh wait u DONT!

Early or late, alright, a fair point, but whether you grab it at level 2 or 6 isn't a big deal whatsoever. If you're a (good) Fighter, you're going to grab a Weapon Focus very early on, and out of the Weapon Foci, Ruffian is easily one of the best.

t50aJUd.jpg

Autoleveled companions got their talents and abilities according some scheme, but does that fit your idea of their builds according to characters?

I don't mean optimized or some tricky build, I mean - which talents / abilities / powers are most fitting lore wise?

Well, I do think the scheme fits with Obsidian's idea of the characters.

For instance, Eder is a skirmisher (not a tank), Aloth is a crowd control caster/battlemage (not a pure caster), Durance is a pure support caster, Pallegina and Kana are off-tanks (especially effective when used together to gang up on a single boss), Sagani is a monster against single, high-value targets, and so on.

Since you seem to be after lore-friendly builds, here are the Ability/Talent schemes I use:

Aloth (Level 2)

Weapon Focus:Noble

Penetrating Blast

Arcane Veil

Grimoire Slam

Deep Pockets

Durance (Level 3)

Interdiction

Brilliant Radiance

Painful Interdiction

Scion of Flame

Bonus 4th Level Spell

Eder (Level 2)

Confident Aim

Weapon Focus: Ruffian

Weapon Specialization: Ruffian

Vulnerable Attack

Into the Fray

Weapon Mastery: Ruffian

Clear Out

Bloody Slaughter

Unbending

Bonus Knockdown

Grieving Mother (Level 8 )

Still working on her. I just pick the recommended class Talent at levels 10 and 12

Hiravias (Level 8 )

Wildstrike Burn

Greater Wildstrike Burn

Kana (Level 4)

Weapon Focus: Adventurer

Two-Handed Style

Deep Pockets

Beloved Spirits

Pallegina (Level 8 )

Deprive the Unworthy

Critical Focus

Interrupting Blows

Deep Faith

Sagani (Level 5)

Penetrating Shot

Predator's Sense

Marksman

Takedown

Brutal Takedown

Stunning Shots

Resilient Companion

Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."