Boxing : Mayweather vs Pacquiao

BruceVC

Congratulations to both boxers for stuffing their wallets. One may have lost, but they are still both world champions of hype. :biggrin:

Laughing all the way to the bank .....

New estimates show Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s payoff for fighting Manny Pacquiao could easily be $180 million, up substantially from earlier predictions of $120 million. Pacquiao gets the short end of the purse, but even that is expected to be well over $100 million by the time everything is tallied up.

kgambit lets be honest for a second....when you see how much money Mayweather makes don't you think " I wish I had become a professional boxer instead of my current career " ?

No because I suck at boxing and there's no way I would get into a ring with a trained professional boxer to take a pounding.  Besides my wife would hate it if this pretty face got all disfigured.  :biggrin:   And my RL job is quite lucrative thank you very much.   :grin:

Actually my comment was aimed more at the suckers who actually BOUGHT the PPV and watched the fight.  Or the idiots who paid 20k$ to 40k$ per ticket for ringside seats.   My hats off to the hype machine.  LOL  

Edit:  The current record for highest-grossing pay-per-view fight involved Mayweather and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in 2013 with around $150 million.  This fight destroys that.  Well played.

You funny, good post  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm not sure what you people mean when you say that this fight was overhyped. From reports and what I'm hearing, the promotion of this "fight off the century" was that this was actually under-hyped and not optimally promoted.

At least that's what Bob Arum and Oscar De La Hoya are asserting. Of course, they were essentially shut out by Mayweather's group so there's significant butthurt from that...

Still, lots of folks are happy and the business was lucrative --especially for Vegas. Lots of action all around behind the cage and plenty of bets going against the house --even last minute with Pacquiao at +170.

Personal misgivings aside, Mayweather is still an all time great fighter and an absolute clinician between the ropes. This fight solidifies his legacy and in many ways legitimizes his 48-0 record. And Pac is still a national treasure in the PI with hundreds of millions - if not billions firmly backing him.

I watched the fight at a house with 20 others (including rabid Filipinos) for a good day of sports --beginning with the ridicule of the NFL Draft, to the Kentucky Derby, then the Clippers upset of the Spurs, and capped with Main bout itself. Excellent day for prop bets all around.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Or the idiots who paid 20k$ to 40k$ per ticket for ringside seats.

No one paid $20K to $40k for ringside seats. They either got in for free, or they paid $100,000+. In fact, for the Opportunity to sit next to Evander Holyfield and Jay-Z in, like, Row 10, you had to shell out about $350,000.

As far as I know, not even the last row of the bleachers was $20k to $40k, unless you were one of the super lucky sods who managed to snag one of the 1000 tickets that went on sale about 2 weeks ago....and sold out in 60 seconds.

Edited by Stun

...and I thought Warriors playoff tickets broke my budget...

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

As far as I know, not even the last row of the bleachers was $20k to $40k,

No, that is BS.   There was a ticket offered for sale on Stub Hub for just a hair over 350K$ and it didn't sell.  Tito Ortiz "teased" about paying over 250K$ for tickets and then recanted.  The highest recorded ticket price was considerably less (see below). 

The live gate was announced at 74 mil$ for 17,000 seats.  Do the math.  That puts the avg price paid at just over 4000$ for a full house and less than 7000$ for 2/3 occupancy.   And by all accounts it was a packed house.

More than 30 tickets sold early Friday on StubHub, as of 9:45 a.m. ET, for an average price of $3,899. That's compared to 156 tickets that sold for an average of about $800 more on Thursday ($4,693). Perhaps the most troubling sign for those selling tickets is that 10 tickets sold for less than the investment in the ticket, after fees. 

"The median price at secondary ticket marketplace, SeatGeek, reached a peak of $13,152 on April 24, a day after tickets officially went on sale for the much-anticipated bout. They are down 52% to $6,345 as of today for the nearly 945 tickets still available on the site (see chart below). It is the same story for the cheapest tickets at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. The get-in price peaked at $6,332 on April 21, but has dropped every day since then to a low of $2,586 as of today."  from Forbes

Only 500 or so tickets were made available to the public via Ticketmaster . They were priced at $1,500, $2,500, $3,500, $5,000 and $7,500. There are also $10,000 "ringside tickets", but they were not part of the public sale. According to Bob Arum and Leonard Ellerbe, there were no comp tickets but Bob Arum allegedly bought and gave one  ticket  to Ronda Roussey.   

According to Stub Hub, the range of ticket prices was from $2,959 to $40,955 with the "get in price" dropping below 3000$ on Thursday.  At that time the average price paid was $6,268 with ~1000 tickets still remaining just at stub hub and prices declined right up to the fight.

Here was the pricing breakdown:

Ticket price / Number of tickets

$10,000  / 1,100**

$7,500 / 2,500

$5,000 / 2,500

$3,500 / 4,000

$2,500 / 2,500

$1,500 / 2,500*

**Were not offered to the public

*Only 500 seats at 1500$ were offered to the public.

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 2