Boxing : Mayweather vs Pacquiao

BruceVC

Okay who is watching? Its about to start, I am not an avid  boxing fan but I do watch the big matches like this one

Predictions for who will win? I want Pacquiao to win as I see him as the underdog  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Everyone wants Pacquiao to win but he's been out of practice for a while and Mayweather has momentum. I still want Pacquiao to win though.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Everyone wants Pacquiao to win but he's been out of practice for a while and Mayweather has momentum. I still want Pacquiao to win though.

So far Pacquiao is holding his own..also the boxers seem rather friendly to each other, unusual but nice to see 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Meh....I don't know...was the fight what you expected? I'm a little disappointed .......

John Milton 

Meh....I don't know...was the fight what you expected? I'm a little disappointed .......

You can't really expect reality to match that kind of hype, it was what I expected because I knew that it would come down to the judges. Which means everyone in the world gets to talk **** about who really won and how it was rigged. Please, begin.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

It went exactly as expected. Those who thought Pacquiao would win a decision, or unbelievably, by knockout, were, understandably, thinking with their hearts. As he's the 'courageous' aggressive type and always the crowd favorite.

But tonight, Mayweather was....Mayweather. As usual, he made the guy in front of him miss 75% of his shots. He wins one round at a time without any fanfare or drama. And by round 12, you look at your scorecard (yes, I'm one of those nerds who keeps a scorecard in one hand, and a drink in the other lol) and you suddenly realize that the fight wasn't close at all.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

You can't really expect reality to match that kind of hype,

Agreed. And that's not a knock on the fight. (the fight was actually fairly entertaining). It's just that The level of hype for this fight was surrealistically high. Had it lived up to the hype it would have had to have been the greatest fight ever. And someone would have had to have died at the end of the 12th round or something.

But again, It's was fairly good, even if it lacked the Drama of Ali-Frazier or the brutality of Hagler-Hearns. And more importantly, it was *decisive*. None of that bad scoring, premature-stoppage nonsense that often plagues big fights. Instead, we got 2 guys with contrasting styles, who fought the way they typically do, and we found out who wins such a match up. And really, That's all I personally wanted from this fight. For the better part of a decade we've been debating the topic of "who would win between Pacquaio and Mayweather" and tonight we found out.

And, a sidenote. Mayweather is a better fighter than most people give him credit for. A lot of people don't like him because they think he's "boring". But for me, I've grown to admire his style. His defensive skills are almost non-human, and from a student's point of view It's neat to watch him make his opponents miss by a mile....or by an inches....constantly.

Edited by Stun

It was a typical Mayweather fight.

What I saw was an opponent with no plan and wasn't able to make it competitive for Floyd, but I agree with you though. This was a boring fight, but that's how Floyd fights. He's a boring fighter. lol

• Like 1

Agreed. And that's not a knock on the fight. (the fight was actually fairly entertaining). It's just that The level of hype for this fight was surrealistically high. Had it lived up to the hype it would have had to have been the greatest fight ever. And someone would have had to have died at the end of the 12th round or something.

But again, It's was fairly good, even if it lacked the Drama of Ali-Frazier or the brutality of Hagler-Hearns. And more importantly, it was *decisive*. None of that bad scoring, premature-stoppage nonsense that often plagues big fights. Instead, we got 2 guys with contrasting styles, who fought the way they typically do, and we found out who wins such a match up. And really, That's all I personally wanted from this fight. For the better part of a decade we've been debating the topic of "who would win between Pacquaio and Mayweather" and tonight we found out.

And, a sidenote. Mayweather is a better fighter than most people give him credit for. A lot of people don't like him because they think he's "boring". But for me, I've grown to admire his style. His defensive skills are almost non-human, and from a student's point of view It's neat to watch him make his opponents miss by a mile....or by an inches....constantly.

The thing is that his style doesn't win the crowd an it doesn't lead to any decisive victory, so people get to talk  **** because it is unclear who won. Technical wins might as well be draws since no one will accept the judge's decision unless it gives them a reason to brag.

That said Mayweather is overrated and the fight should had gone on longer, we should go back to the times of no round limit and have them fight until a decisive conclusion.

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif

What I saw was an opponent with no plan and wasn't able to make it competitive for Floyd,

Yep. Which just lends weight to something I've been saying for years but no one in the boxing world ever wants to admit: There is Nothing special about Freddie Roach. This is not the first time he's had an extremely talented Overachiever in his stable, and then sent him out against an equal, only to see his fighter lose because he had a crap game plan, or he had no game plan, or his fighter was woefully undertrained, or he gave his fighter bad instructions in between rounds.

If real boxing is like fight night 2003 then the winner will be whoever wiggles their upper body more to deliver epic hook counter attacks.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The thing is that his style doesn't win the crowd an it doesn't lead to any decisive victory, so people get to talk  **** because it is unclear who won. Technical wins might as well be draws since no one will accept the judge's decision unless it gives them a reason to brag.

That said Mayweather is overrated and the fight should had gone on longer, we should go back to the times of no round limit and have them fight until a decisive conclusion.

Yeah I was hoping for something dramatic, like a KO from Pacquiao.But it was wishful thinking 

But as others mentioned Mayweather boxed strategically, it wasn't suppose to be exciting :blink: 

Also I have never seen boxers being so complimentary to each other....whats the world coming to where boxers keep telling each other " how tough there opponent is "...SJ influence methinks :biggrin:  

John Milton 

Vegas originally had the line with Pac as a 5 to 1 underdog on announcement to get action on Pac, but tightened up to a more sensible Mayweather as 2 to 1 favorite. I almost bit with Mayweather at -201 yesterday but decided against it as I couldn't stand betting on the wifebeating scumbag, let alone putting $$ on a favorite. Pac was at +170, which my heart wanted me to still take, knowing full well it's a fool's bet.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Also I have never seen boxers being so complimentary to each other

It happens. a lot.

Are you surprised? Look at how much money they're making off each other. For $180 MILLION, I'd be complimentary to my opponent too.

• Like 2

^Which makes him par the course for Boxing "greats". Really, Boxing and Women don't mix. Ever. Off the top of my head:

Mike Tyson (Raped a 19 year old)

Carlos Monzon (Beat the sh*t out of his first two wives; Murdered his third wife)

Joe Louis (Spousal Abuse)

Sugar Ray Robinson (Spousal abuse, and he was a notorious womanizer)

Marvin Hagler (Spousal Abuse)

Deigo Corrales (Brutal Spousal Abuse....and she was 8 months pregnant)

Jake Lamotta (Spousal Abuse....and he used to Brag about it)

Arturo Gatti (Yes, the celebrated Real life Rocky that everyone loved.... Spousal abuse)

Pernell Whitaker (Spousal Abuse. And Wife was pregnant)

Evander Holyfield (Beat his wife, over a disagreement about a church donation)

The list goes on and on. Generally speaking, Boxers aren't Role models. Mayweather isn't anything special.

Edited by Stun

Bruce, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned what a misogynist Mayweather is.

http://www.businessinsider.com/floyd-mayweather-domestic-violence-history-2015-4

I wasn't aware of that, I am not huge supporter of boxing so I don't know the history of all the boxers . Very disappointing....very disappointing 

John Milton 

^Which makes him par the course for Boxing "greats". Really, Boxing and Women don't mix. Ever. Off the top of my head:

Mike Tyson (Raped a 19 year old)

Carlos Monzon (Beat the sh*t out of his first two wives; Murdered his third wife)

Joe Louis (Spousal Abuse)

Sugar Ray Robinson (Spousal abuse, and he was a notorious womanizer)

Marvin Hagler (Spousal Abuse)

Deigo Corrales (Brutal Spousal Abuse....and she was 8 months pregnant)

Jake Lamotta (Spousal Abuse....and he used to Brag about it)

Arturo Gatti (Yes, the celebrated Real life Rocky that everyone loved.... Spousal abuse)

Pernell Whitaker (Spousal Abuse. And Wife was pregnant)

Evander Holyfield (Beat his wife, over a disagreement about a church donation)

The list goes on and on. Generally speaking, Boxers aren't Role models. Mayweather isn't anything special.

Geez...that list is depressing...I didn't realize it was quite that bad  :blink:

John Milton 

Boxing needs Don King back.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Congratulations to both boxers for stuffing their wallets. One may have lost, but they are still both world champions of hype. :biggrin:

Laughing all the way to the bank .....

New estimates show Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s payoff for fighting Manny Pacquiao could easily be $180 million, up substantially from earlier predictions of $120 million. Pacquiao gets the short end of the purse, but even that is expected to be well over $100 million by the time everything is tallied up.

• Like 2

Congratulations to both boxers for stuffing their wallets. One may have lost, but they are still both world champions of hype. :biggrin:

New estimates show Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s payoff for fighting Manny Pacquiao could easily be $180 million, up substantially from earlier predictions of $120 million. Pacquiao gets the short end of the purse, but even that is expected to be well over $100 million by the time everything is tallied up.

kgambit lets be honest for a second....when you see how much money Mayweather makes don't you think " I wish I had become a professional boxer instead of my current career " ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

kgambit lets be honest for a second....when you see how much money Mayweather makes don't you think " I wish I had become a professional boxer instead of my current career " ?

No because I suck at boxing and there's no way I would get into a ring with a trained professional boxer to take a pounding.  Besides my wife would hate it if this pretty face got all disfigured.  :biggrin:   And my RL job is quite lucrative thank you very much.   :grin:

Actually my comment was aimed more at the suckers who actually BOUGHT the PPV and watched the fight.  Or the idiots who paid 20k$ to 40k$ per ticket for ringside seats.   My hats off to the hype machine.  LOL  

Edit:  The current record for highest-grossing pay-per-view fight involved Mayweather and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in 2013 with around $150 million.  This fight destroys that.  Well played.

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 2