An old but endless discussion...the Backer Achievement

I think 'who gives a crap?' If people are bent out of shape about a bloody achievement on Steam, they need to step back and take stock of what's actually important in their lives.

• Like 29

I am afraid I do not understand.  Is the question that there should not be a Kickstarter achievement?  These are Steam achievements correct? Hokay I am a backer so I am biased but there would not have been a game if people hadn't backed it from day one of the Kickstarter.  

I fail to see the point of this.  There are Steam achievements I will never get.  It is highly unlikely that I will play PotD, I won't play an iron man game or a solo game.  

By the way what does anyone get if they achieve all the achievements?

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

In-game backer and preorder exclusives suck. Period. Even cosmetic stuff.

And an exclusive backer achievement that prevents later buyers from getting 100%? That's f***ed up.

I say that as a backer and someone who doesn't bother with achievements in most games.

• Like 2

I get the idea that having a KS one means "completionists" who weren't backers see themselves blocked out of being able to get all achievements, but I haven't heard what getting all of them actually does, if anything. If Steam is giving cards away or something and you can only get one if all Pillar achievements are done, including the KS one, that might seem unfair, but I'm not sure Obsidian has anything to do with that process?

If there's nothing like that going on ... then I'm pretty much in the "so?" camp. Don't see that it's something to make a big issue over.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well in my opinion, this was not the best way to recognize all you guys as backers. Im not a completionist myself, but I understand people have diferent motivations in games as in life. For many, they will never get past that visual misconception that 30 is completion even if you dont get the 31st achivement. And I understand and respect this. As I respect all backers (without them we would not have our game) maybe this particular pixel was not well thougth. I mean think about, does it have anything to do with the in-game experience. No. Will anyone that really cares ever get this after the 77k backers? No.

This was not the fairest option imo, should have been something else guys. C'mon, take Warframe for example, The founders (Warframes version of backers) have exclusive content in game but not an exclusive badge and everyone is happy because they can unlock every badge. So many ways this could have done, in game exclusive quests, items...but a badge for an outside experience of the game? If one year from now an expansion becomes a big game seller and have 4 more times the sales, everyone will hold a grudge. This was not the best way to remeber you guys. Even a badge for meeting all in game backers would a been a better idea, just sayin :biggrin:

Who decides what the Steam achievements are? The developer, the publisher or Steam?

As a Backer and a Kickstarter I could care less about the achievement.  In fact I am not interested in Steam achievements.

nakia_banner.jpg

And an exclusive backer achievement that prevents later buyers from getting 100%? 

Um, what?

As far as I know, achievements don't stop you from doing a competionist run.

I've never understood completionists, nor Achievement Completionists.

• Like 2

I could care less about achievements

I agree completely, but the sheer butthurt of OCD completionists is hilarious.

"But if I don't see the two seconds of Shepard breathing post-credits, I won't have gotten the best ending!"

• Like 2

And an exclusive backer achievement that prevents later buyers from getting 100%?

Um, what?

Don't be dense. 100% achievement completion. Not possible if not a backer.

Doesn't matter that it's not important to you or me. Some value it, and there's no good reason to deny it to them.

Edited by ddillon

I could care less about achievements

I agree completely, but the sheer butthurt of OCD completionists is hilarious.

"But if I don't see the two seconds of Shepard breathing post-credits, I won't have gotten the best ending!"
I don't know how breathing made anything better, there's 0.01% chance anyone will find her, so she'll slowly bleed/burn/starve to death. I'd prefer her to die outright, tbh.

On topic: I think the achievement was unnecessary. Many backers couldn't care less about getting it, including me (I have Pillars on GOG), but it punishes people who bought the game later. Some of them actually care about getting 100% achievements, even if only for bragging rights (a profile display can look really nice with a few of those, I have to say), and I believe they shouldn't be excluded. It sours their opinion of the game. Legitimate buyers shouldn't be denied any part of the game experience. And I completely agree with the person in the linked Steam discussion who said that all achievements should be achievable in the course of gameplay. I think it's a good rule to follow.

Edited by Rosveen

It oughtn't be a big deal either way, but the principle "all achievements must be physically achievable by all players" is a good one. Actually I'd probably strengthen that a bit to get rid of achievements like "post something from the game on Facebook!" which is also an annoying type of achievement. Achievements should be completely in-game in all ways, that seems reasonable.

If one of those completionists knockes on my door with all of them (including the Sawyer one) but without the KS, and didn't cheat... then we can talk.

But since that will never happen, who cares. There are more than that one that prevent you from 100%ing. And we all know if you care that much you cheat anyway, since "e-peen justifies all"

Me, I just stand at the sideline and laugh at you guys. Sure, I like going for achievements too, but I have barely any 100% games... it's just not worth going for those that are annoying, just those that add to your gameplay by trying something different. *shrug*

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Using the console to cheat in-game disables achievements in PoE I have read.  You can cheat in Skyrim though I think.

nakia_banner.jpg

Play the GOG version.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The achievement is actually quite useful: it allows somebody without access to sales statistics to estimate the number of PoE sales to non-backers as well as the number of sales in general. For example, if you trust SteamSpy's estimate of 347k sales on Steam, the fact that 14.8% have that achievement means that only 51.4k of those sales are backers and the other 296k are normal sales. If you don't trust SteamSpy, you can make your own estimate since you know the number of backers (and, if you really want, can even estimate the number of copies per backer).

• Like 1

@whoever authored that Steam discussion:

1. You have got to be joking. I really can't believe you could be upset about not getting one achievement.

2. Entitlement.

This whiny, bitchy attitude is what punishes companies for having customer loyalty programs and allows and even encourages them to treat their customers with as little appreciation as possible. Why do the backers get a special achievement? Why do the five-year customers get a discount that I don't get? I'm not supporting your company if you don't take away the things that they have that I don't have!! And there are always more potential customers than current customers, so companies gladly discontinue any such appreciation programs and feel vindicated in doing so because of you ridiculous whiners. Guess what, supporting a company or their project before they've fully proven themselves or continuing to support them throughout the years is deserving of special appreciation. Your whining doesn't entitle you to jack ****.

• Like 4

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Um, what?

For me atleast it will be a bigger victory when I do the Triple Crown SOLO, thats a badass one :devil:

Just to summarize, bottom line is, that like the people in that link I posted, not everyone will be happy and understand that that 31st badge is just a visual misconception of a true 30 unlock achiever. Its the other ones that present a chalenge, not that one. Also nobody is going to be called a noob because of this one, because its not even a chanlenge in game. But like ive said before, to each their own...and many are not like me or you and will always rage about this. Maybe next time it will be diferent...I just opened this up to make a point nothing more.

Anyway, must thank the backers for this awesome game mates, because if weren't for you guys I would never see this awesome game surface :biggrin:

Now if youll excuse me...I have a rogue to create :devil:

• Like 2