Six rest-spamming Wizards. High Might, Dex, Intellect. A few Wiz keep the enemy pack permanently Prone, Confused, or otherwise crowd controlled, while the others rain down an overwhelming amount of AoE damage. Healing potions work great for a high Might party. Wizards can provide their own defensive buffs, casting speed buffs, Accuracy buffs...

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Now or with 1.0.5 patch? If now- still Retal Barbarian with OSA. After patch- melee wizard with all defensive buffs.

Cipher in party is bit OP due to Focus gaining and Mind Binding/Mind Lance spam.

Anything else? No. I'd say some classes need more love.

So.. Wizards have received a bit more HP and their armor self-buff was improved (but still has the same short duration) and now they're cream of the crop? Strange how that worked out..

If you want powerful go Cipher. Preferably offensively statted. So max out Might, Dexterity, Intelligence and distribute the remainder of your points as you please. Then just do whatever feels the most powerful to you - almost no way to go wrong with a Cipher

+75 Deflection is a real thing tho , i bet this is more than you get from starting with 19 perception and 19 resolve :D

and what if you do start with max resolve and perception with wizard and pop +75 deflection , who is gonna hit you then ? Adra Dragon? Maybe if it gets lucky ! 

Edited by Atchod

+75 Deflection is a real thing tho , i bet this is more than you get from starting with 19 perception and 19 resolve :D

and what if you do start with max resolve and perception with wizard and pop +75 deflection , who is gonna hit you then ? Adra Dragon? Maybe if it gets lucky ! 

lets not forget that his summon weapons got buffed, so it can be maybe build around them right now. Not for solo but in party melee wizard will be boss.

That is why I don't like this MMO balancing. Now you nerf to useless one class which was great on soloing and buff too much (IMO!) other which was good and there was nothing wrong with it (Wizard).

I will stay forever with 1.0.4- I like it, I don't need more "balancing".

Spirit lance is pretty cool for solo tbh. ~50 dmg per hit in aoe per swing is pretty good. Never bothered with it unless for "cool" factor as blights were better, but now it's the best weapon in the game by far.

Edited by MadDemiurg

For 10 (+/- will) seconds, twice per rest, yes. 

its more if you got proper INT right ? 

Per rest is not an argument please dont shame the developers any more , per rest means 4 loading screens away . 

10 Seconds is a ton by itself tho , dont forget this is RTwP where after pause is released game runs on Slow Mode usually , and 12~ seconds of being god is a won fight in PoE , How many fan of flames wizard can do in 10 seconds ? Atleast 5 ! 

Another day another fail Tigranes :(

yesterday it was something about it being hard to pull off ( Using 1 skill he Meant ) 

Edited by Atchod

Realistically it's 2x15+ sec, because who in their own mind wouldn't max int on a wizard. As I said in another thread, it mostly matters for solo though, or if you screw up really hard in a party.

As for OPs question, there's no definite answer:

• Wizard, Priest and Druid are going to feel very powerful in big decisive encounters/boss battles, but a bit underwhelming for trash mob fights, at least until level 9+. If you want to "deal the most dps" as many seem to be so obsessed about Priest is probably the worst choice out of 3, even though he has the most powerful abilities that can turn the tide of battle for any party.
  • Chanter is very powerful, but you won't feel like it in a party most of the time
  • Fighters and Paladins can feel "powerful" from a standpoint that they are hard to bring down, but you won't be doing a lot of killing
  • Cipher is a middle ground between casters and fighters and quite powerful overall. Not as powerful in boss fights as a Wizard but better in trash fights. Got somewhat less flashy with 1.05.
  • Monks can make a reasonably tanky highly mobile dps. If you look at their skills initially they don't seem like much, but they are good and feel powerful when you get into it.

That's from PotD no exploit 1.04/1.05 perspective.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 1

Yeh MadDemiurg is right as usual , atleast someone here is sane . 

And Tigranes is just defending the patch with tooth and nail , respectable loyalty , but do you take us for retards or?

Edited by Atchod

Yep, 18 INT is 14s. It definitely is gamechanging for solo wizards, and otherwise, it again shifts Arcane Veil from a "mage might die, or not, who knows" to a situation where if you build in spells for it, you can reliably say that the mage will make it out of that sticky situation. It makes the various "DR / deflection until damaged" spells and potions worthwhile as well. There wasn't that much point to taking AV previously, now you know that it gives you the time to put out 2 or 3 spells. Melee wizards become a big option.

Anyway, 'best class' has way too much to do with difficulty, party composition, solo/not, etc. Monks and rogues can slice up enemies at a rate of 1 per every couple of seconds, almost rendering defense irrelevant under the right conditions. Cipher is probably still the best "pick up, don't think too much, get mileage" class for typical first timer parties.

TLDR : Caster Mage's being one of those few classes that are dying in combat(High Risk High Reward  anyone?)was a major problem in PoE . We decided to change this nonsense . 

P.S. Score free football game next saturday . 

Edited by Atchod

I'm gonna say wizard because having run most of the classes up through act 2.5 aka the hardest parts of the game IMO, they get multiplicative in a way druids and ciphers can't even versus trash mobs.

Arcane Assault 2/enc = RAW damage, proper wizards will deal ~20 dmg and ignore DR with this at lvl 1.  It also spams extremely fast when cued up by shift click so the dps is through the roof, and daze is okay too.  Stacking Aloth and a main PC mage, the above was a breeze not to mention I had enough game changing spells being a wizard... Slicken + Chillfog alpha is and always will be amazing.  Also Arcane Assault hits REFLEX, which is huge for the early game or shades.

Druid's spiritshift has some power, but as others have mentioned they sort of lose steam, and melee is dangerous or in most cases, it was just annoying for your 'caster' to have to run to a position or bump into other melee.  Spell for spell, I felt like druid was about the same as wizard in terms of battle changing effects, but they had less durability on demand (oddly, arcane veil will make enemy AI just go for someone else if the backline gets hit) even tho technically, the forms have 8 DR... The gear loss later = fail as well.  And no rings of wizardry = less casts.

Cipher much like the wizards was good for trash encounters, but due to the recovery time of their powers or "average" casting for much of their effects, it felt slow paced next to my wizard play.  YMMV, but cipher had even before 1.05 about 3 to 4 casts of the good stuff aka mental binding, but then a wizard was doing all the damage via chill fog or fan of flames for lots of monsters, and the other classes provided the dps since they were busy casting CC all the time without damage effects.  They had a lot of either or with debuffs to me, rather than debuff + dmg like chill fog had, or aoe +dmg like crackling bolt was.

Darcozzi Paladin (Moon) was probably my safest play which basically consisted of face tanking any of the hard encounters and letting their fireshield do all the work for the beginning hard parts.  Later on every other class will beat this sorry one into the ground at 5+... so... yeah, for the "long" term, they're terribad.  Interestingly though I could send them in for a chillfog, and due to their high saves they didn't care about the ally aoe and saved a cast of slicken due to the fact they could "engage" enemies.  (Note, I didn't use +engagement on them and kept em far away).

Edited by MoxyWoo