What's the point of looking into NPC souls?

I find that 90% of the time, looking into someone's soul does not touch the story or a quest of any kind. Once in a while, you reach into someone's soul and you can do things or something interesting happens. What's the point of digging into other NPC's souls? I read a few, but then I realized it doesn't matter and stopped reading... Those NPC's actually have names, so they are not generic, but neither do they matter...

Oh, so if you haven't gotten the edition for backers of the game, then those NPC's do not exist or simply cannot be talked to or just carry generic name, like Noble?

Off-topic, but how do I add money to treasury? I found the Treasury box and it can store items, but I cannot figure out how to put money there!

Edited by MonarchX

Oh, so if you haven't gotten the edition for backers of the game, then those NPC's do not exist or simply cannot be talked to or just carry generic name, like Noble?

Off-topic, but how do I add money to treasury? I found the Treasury box and it can store items, but I cannot figure out how to put money there!

No anybody can talk to them, backers named them and wrote the little "memory" that you tap into when you reach out for their soul.

It's good to criticize things you love.

ARRRR you suggesting that you think you might be playing a version for backers? :verymad:

There is no different version for backers, but those gold-labeled NPCs all have stories written by Obsidian based on ideas submitted by backers. You don't need to talk to any of them if you don't want to, none of them have quests or anything.

You can't add money to the treasury, it's only a place from which you can get items that you earned through stronghold quests. There's no point in storing items there, your stash can hold infinite items.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

If the name plates are yellow, create a black hole in your mind that swallows them up and pray to the satanic gods that Obsidian will one day release a patch that replaces them with generic NPC:s and fixes all the memorials.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

If the name plates are yellow, create a black hole in your mind that swallows them up and pray to the satanic gods that Obsidian will one day release a patch that replaces them with generic NPC:s and fixes all the memorials.

Either that or just pretend that they are generic NPCs (commoners, nobles, tavern patrons etc.) who just hang around. At least that's what I do. The world of PoE needs population anyway. At first I started reading their stories, but there's just too many of them and (unlike books) they do nothing to establish the setting, so I got bored after some time. I also started out reading the memorials, but after reading a hundred of them and getting only 1 (one) that was actually funny, I dropped this too. The game offers you a lot of stuff to see and do anyway.

EDIT: No, not THAT one. It wasn't funny before and it's not funny after.

Edited by Gorbag

Nothing gold can stay.

You can kill them when no one sees you and gain some loot!

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!