UK election special

Walsingham

It's called a secret ballot for a reason. It's a pretty big deal in this country not to have to disclose who you voted for if you don't want to. And it's bad form to ask.

I hold centre-right, libertarian views. None of the parties represents me and I'm not minded to compromise. I voted this morning. Who it was for was based on a personal and perhaps not entirely rational set of factors I don't feel like sharing on the internet.

But the two main parties are like either cheek of the same arse.

I thought about it afterwards and I realized my question was a little rude and presumptuous. The English are more reserved about this type of thing, you guys aren't like the Americans and me who openly state who we will be voting for, so my bad  :blush:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You guys are going to love this one because The Reds Really Are Coming. [...]

Iceland proposes bill to abolish fractional reserve banking

"The Reds"?

It seems you don't realize that the harshest critics of fractional reserve banking, are Austrian School libertarians.

They believe that it's fraud and that it could not exist in a society with a minimalist government that respects property rights.

So yeah, abolishing it is not exactly the hallmark of Communism.

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Continuing the theme of me copying Monte, I agree. It is poor form to ask, even among friends.

I should apologise to Numbers for not having been clearer earlier. I know Miliband isn't one Beria short of a gulag. However, I do think there are a lot of things which many Britons would accept which abrogate their freedoms pretty seriously. Which _might_ be OK if I thought for one second that the intended benefits would be felt. They won't. You might as well try to legislate away ageing.

Further, I accept that there are some freaks in banking, and they get adulation and prizes. But can you honestly look at most big enterprises and say they aren't run by nutters? The trick is simply to enforce the laws which already exist, and to amp up the punishments. Destroying a pension scheme should not have a lower tariff than burning down a house or stealing some cars.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Supplemental:

Muslim voters being told not to vote in London.

Londonistan indeed.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Supplemental:

Londonistan indeed.

Why do they even want to be in the UK  when they are not participating in what many consider one's civic duty + all those lose women, alcohol and bacon?

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Supplemental:

Londonistan indeed.

Seems like random cranks. Expecting to see that kind of stuff here during our next election. Either done by people believing that crap or people wanting others to think they did, heh.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So will Scotland finally get FREEDOM!?

Supplemental:

Londonistan indeed.

Why do they even want to be in the UK  when they are not participating in what many consider one's civic duty + all those lose women, alcohol and bacon?

The weather.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The SNP have 'taken Scotland'. Bloody worrying.

I give it 18 months until Russians begin buying Edinburgh. Wait a minute... they already bought London!

-Elwood Blues

George Galloway defeated!

Best news so far. Although I'm sure the carpet-bagging fethwipe will only turn up in some other borough peddling race hate.

-Elwood Blues

So Conservatives will govern again, do they need a coalition partner?

Its not a bad result, from an outsiders perspective this doesn't seem like a bad outcome. They have done a good job overall, the UK  economy has recovered for example?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How did UKIP do?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Morning news said about 12% of the popular vote, but only 2 seats.

The joys of FTFP-system.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

1 seat, if Farage doesn't win. That's 12% of popular support, and 0,0015% of the representation.

That said, UKIP probably have a bit more support, people who aren't completely retarded and know how to game the FTFP system. A UKIP vote only makes sense either if you really don't care if Labour or the Tories win (since you're essentially throwing away your vote), or if you're in three or so districts where UKIP can realistically be the largest party.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Best news so far. Although I'm sure the carpet-bagging fethwipe will only turn up in some other borough peddling race hate.

I'm sorry, but Ed Balls losing his seat was a moment of almost perfect sweetness. The smug bastard helped crash the economy and was utterly shameless in denying it. A study in entitlement, condescension and hubris, he is no loss.

I hope he takes the opportunity to return to the stone from under which he crawled from.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I give it 18 months until Russians begin buying Edinburgh. Wait a minute... they already bought London!

I can see it for me... Scotland is going to be the next "Cuba Crisis" when Scapa Flow gets rented to the Russians to use as a forward naval base :lol:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm sorry, but Ed Balls losing his seat was a moment of almost perfect sweetness. The smug bastard helped crash the economy and was utterly shameless in denying it. A study in entitlement, condescension and hubris, he is no loss.

I hope he takes the opportunity to return to the stone from under which he crawled from.

Gordy didn't.

-Elwood Blues

I can see it for me... Scotland is going to be the next "Cuba Crisis" when Scapa Flow gets rented to the Russians to use as a forward naval base :lol:

The forty-plus horsemen of the Ajockalypse are heading south, swords bloodied and fire at their heels.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

I pity the people in Brussels who will have to put up with Farage. It appears he couldn't manage to get elected. 1 seat for UKIP it is then.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I pity the people in Brussels who will have to put up with Farage. It appears he couldn't manage to get elected. 1 seat for UKIP it is then.

So, about 3,8 million votes and only one seat.

Huh.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Huh.

Yeah, it's completely ****ed up, I'm telling you.

Huh.

Yeah, it's completely ****ed up, I'm telling you.

What the hell is so difficult to understand?

Stop trying to force the UK into your limited nationalist mindset for 30 seconds.

FPTP makes elections fundamentally between candidates at a local level. 

_As we've just seen_ FPTP deprives top party hacks of the comfort of knowing they'll always be in power. Even the Prime Minister.

Further, prop rep means coalitions where a majority party has to pander to the fringes.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues