Hi, I'm new here, and the title basically explains my question.  I've never played the Baldur's Gate games, but I did play Icewind Dale 2, and NWN and NWN 2.  I wasn't a huge fan of Icewind Dale 2, and NWN 2 never really kept my interest, but I absolutely loved NWN.  Those are probably the only older games I'm familiar with that are similar to this game, so would you suggest this game to me?  Thanks for your input.

That is a difficult question to answer.  What type of games do  you like?  Could you name some of them?

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Depends on what exactly you hated/loved in those games.

NWN had less role playing elements 1 companion and no companions' equipment managing ,this game does have many companions and you have to manage everything.

Edited by barakav
  • Like 1

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Well, ordinarily, things like equipment management are really fun to me.  I love customization, and things like Final Fantasy Tactics, where you can mix and match character skills and gear, but in Icewind Dale, I found it so clunky and difficult to manage.  

The things I loved about NWN was the customization of classes in the same regard.  The D&D ruleset in general lends itself well to making a character what you want it to be.  Also, at that age, I found the stories of NWN and it's xpacs to be engaging, maybe not like a best seller novel, but it was enough to keep me going.  

I think I prefer more of a solo adventurer kind of game when it comes to American RPGs though.  I feel like something gets lost trying to manage too many characters at once, so that aspect of NWN appealed to me as well.  I enjoyed concentrating on the one guy I made, so that I could make him more like something I would enjoy doing at the time, and my npc companion could just back me up, and cover my weaknesses.  I also enjoyed slowly uncovering their back story, to make them seem more real, and more interesting.

I also really enjoy a lot of non-linear side quests that have rudimentary puzzles, or just interesting gear, that if you weren't checking under every stone, or talking to every person in town, you may not find it.  I thought NWN did a good job of that as well.  It was always interesting to be clearing out the main storyline quests, and you come across some item, and you have no idea what it does, and you finish the game and never find out what it's use was.  Then, years later you come back and play the game again, and you come across someone you hadn't spoken to after getting the item last time, and you go on this whole new side quest.  I guess, ultimately, that would just be called replayability, but I enjoy fleshing out the reasons why things like replayability are so important to me.  Also, in that vein, character customization is a big factor to me in replayability, because one day I may feel like playing a fighter, but the next time I play the game, I may want some kind of stealthy magic-caster combination, and the ability to do that, or any other themed character that I wish makes it that much more fun to me.

Lastly, the RP elements weren't really evident in NWN, and I felt the immersion was fine.  I do think however, that if a game does have RP elements, they need to be a big deal, and shape your character, as well as the path you take in the game.  I think that if this game, or any other forces you to make RP choices, they shouldn't be trivial. 

Hopefully this helps to clarify my position on these games, and with your experience in PoE, we can figure out if this is the game for me.  Thanks again for your input.

It sounds like out of the games you listed you enjoyed the games the less party members you had and the less like the IE games they were.  Icewind Dale 2 used the 3rd edition ruleset same as the NWN games did so we can rule out it being an issue with 2nd ed rules you had, so I will have to say it could be a case of you not enjoying the IE type of games.  PoE is great, I am loving it, but to be honest it sounds like from what you have told us that you may not enjoy it.  I could be wrong, and I think PoE is probably the best game to get started on these type of games for newcomers if you do want to try it, but I can't guarantee that you will enjoy it and would recommend instead seeing if a friend has it so you can try before you buy.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Based on your last post, I don't think you will enjoy PoE. It takes its main inspiration from the IE games, like the Icewind Dale games, which had a heavy focus on party-based combat. You can of course solo it (and no party members are forced upon you after a very short tutorial area), but it was not balanced around it.

Also, while PoE still has a lot of options for character customization, there is no option to dual- or multiclass, and I highly doubt it will ever be added.

Edited by Night Stalker

Hmmm, since you actually show the exact opposite profile to me regarding the Games you mentioned (only thing that made NWN 1 worth it, in my opinion, was Expansion 2, which was simply epic), and I am more or less THE Player type targetted by this Game (BG1+ Player, liked them all, loved ToB and Planescape Torment (despite the crappy Rule implementation in it^^) and likes tactical approaches and detailed control of the party), I`d say: Try it, but dont buy it yet.

It is probably not really up your alley.

• Like 1

I  agree that you should try it before buying it.

The game does not fit well to all of your criteria and in some cases people feel different about some of the stuff you mentioned you like. Some like the changes and some don't.

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

1. Well, ordinarily, things like equipment management are really fun to me.  I love customization, and things like Final Fantasy Tactics

2. The things I loved about NWN was the customization of classes in the same regard.  The D&D ruleset in general lends itself well to making a character what you want it to be.  Also, at that age, I found the stories of NWN and it's xpacs to be engaging, maybe not like a best seller novel, but it was enough to keep me going.  

3. I think I prefer more of a solo adventurer kind of game when it comes to American RPGs though....

4. I also really enjoy a lot of non-linear side quests that have rudimentary puzzles...

5. Lastly, the RP elements weren't really evident in NWN, and I felt the immersion was fine....

Hopefully this helps to clarify my position on these games, and with your experience in PoE, we can figure out if this is the game for me.  Thanks again for your input.

Yes it clarifies your position to me...

1.  Go for it.

2.  Go for it.

3.  Go for it (But have in mind to create the NPCs you like to acommpany you...That's you style preference as I understand)

4.  ------  (I can't tell due to not Spoil your game. If you need heavy Puzzle feel or at least Medium...so far I would say No, from my experience. Quests yes have outcomes and stuff...and that impacts your "alignment" let's say. So apart from story outcomes, your renown differs the way you experience the game)

5. Go for it. If you need more RP elements from NWN it's a yes for me. No big deal in NWN anyway. Mind though that the feeling of the story is different. Read some introduction reviews first.

keep playing CoD that will make us all happy!! :ban:

If this is meant as derogatory, I'd say it's a bit rude, and an unfair judgement. The last fps I played was CS 1.6.  

To everyone else, thank you for your candid answers.  I unfortunately do not know anyone else playing it at the moment, but I will look up more gameplay videos.  

• Like 1

Hi, I'm new here, and the title basically explains my question.  I've never played the Baldur's Gate games, but I did play Icewind Dale 2, and NWN and NWN 2.  I wasn't a huge fan of Icewind Dale 2, and NWN 2 never really kept my interest, but I absolutely loved NWN.  Those are probably the only older games I'm familiar with that are similar to this game, so would you suggest this game to me?  Thanks for your input.

based only on that info I would say "No".

Go for it.

Maybe you won't think that it's the best thing since sliced bread*, but I'd say chances are that it'll turn out at least as "not bad".

Preferably to watching Let's Plays, anyway. (Really, why is everyone so obsessed with Let's Play videos?)

* Which is way overrated.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Go for it.

Preferably to watching Let's Plays, anyway. (Really, why is everyone so obsessed with Let's Play videos?)

Yeah, this is why I came here first.  I didn't know anyone who played it, but I would rather hear recommendations for or against it, rather than risk spoiling the game watching other people play it.