Death ring wizard spell.

Climhazzard

Question

Is it just me or is 1120.1 raw base damage a little excessive?  Miss a decimal point or two?  The death ring traps in the endless paths are one hit killing my characters.   This is with 1.05 installed.

zMkHRqS.jpg

k9oAk7l.jpg

08BHxGG.jpg

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

5 answers to this question

That's consistent with 1.04. Seems to me that if you call something "Death Ring" it should probably actually cause death :)

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Yeah the 1000 raw damage appears to be the game's way of creating an instakill mechanism, based on the trap's wording it's a save or die with a +30 bonus for the defender (or a -30 roll on the trap, same thing) vs the fort defense score. Looks like Eder failed his fortitude save in the screenshot and took the instakill.

Now the thing that bothers me about your screenshot, more than how the trap works or anything, is how the combat log obfuscates important information when a single effect, affects multiple actors. Why even bother having a combat log if it doesn't relay pertinent information to the user? If the individual rolls (in your example 2 miss, 3 graze, 4 hit) were logged as individual lines rather than aggregated into one (let's face it, uninformative) entry you/we'd be able to pinpoint exactly what happened and we wouldn't be left wondering how exactly pretty much any AOE move behaves (such as dragon breaths and the like).

Now the thing that bothers me about your screenshot, more than how the trap works or anything, is how the combat log obfuscates important information when a single effect, affects multiple actors. Why even bother having a combat log if it doesn't relay pertinent information to the user? If the individual rolls (in your example 2 miss, 3 graze, 4 hit) were logged as individual lines rather than aggregated into one (let's face it, uninformative) entry you/we'd be able to pinpoint exactly what happened and we wouldn't be left wondering how exactly pretty much any AOE move behaves (such as dragon breaths and the like).

If you click on the line it will expand to show the individual hits in detail. It is kinda busywork in case you want to have the breakdown, but it makes the combat log tidier in most cases that you don't care.

What bothers me is that the description doesn't specifically say when the massive damage is applied. If someone doesn't know about the low endurance thingy, someone gets very different expectations about the spell. 

Edited by BlackAdder