In progress patch notes for 1.0.5- big buff for Wizards and buff for Ciphers (lol...), a lot of strange nerfs to everything else, couple of fixes.

It sounds like you don't like balance, just relying on a few ridiculously powerful mechanics.

I like:

- cipher, priest, wizard getting more health and endurance. Will be easier to make hybrids. Caster classes less pidgeon holed.

- cipher starting with half of current focus (1/4 absolute), hardly a buff. They will have to rely more on generation.

- interdiction is a powerful, powerful talent, it can use a nerf.

- Lightning Strikes buff

- 25% Fan of Flames reduction, GOOD

- watcher abilities have more range, they were quite bad outside early game.

- WOW, Arcane Veil +50 deflection ???

- Scroll of Paralysis nerf. Hard to argue paralysis is too weak in 1.04 !

- Blizzard WAS very strong. A level2 spell I kept using on Adra Dragon.

- Noxious Burst trap WAS the most powerful player trap by far. Lackluster traps improved.

- Marked Prey, Sworn enemy 0 recovery actions

• Like 4

They made a whole lot of buffs to Wizards, which is frankly imo not necessary as they are strong class, able to solo Triple Crown (as was proofed) but still I have nothing against it and good for them, since they seem to be underplayed class.

To be more specific, they improved Wizards that use buffs to become warriors. Wizards that are played as standard IE casters appear to have actually been nerfed in the undocumented changes (e.g. to nobody's surprise, Gaze of the Adragan has been severely nerfed).

RIP one-shotting the Adra dragon. We hardly knew ye.

Yeah, you need 2 shots now! This is unacceptable.

• Like 2

Here are patch notes in progress for 1.05: https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-183-patch-notes-105-in-progress/

- Sanguine Plate's Retaliate mod has been replaced with Spell Holding: Frenzy

This made me really sad and a bit angry. Sanguine Armor was the one item in the game that allowed me to build an (off-)tank for something outside of the "min might/dex, max deflection and HP" meta that currently rules the tanking game. Currently, the most efficient tank is nothing outside of a engagement field placement, that for all other purposes might as well not even be there.

The Sanguine armor on the other hand, allowed me to build an at least somewhat usefull (off-)tank with a decent might and either Tidefall or The Rose of Salthollow, which could hold his own (somewhat) and be usefull in the fight (somewhat) outside of being a static engagement field placement. It allowed me to do something slightly more creative, not to mention immersive. A tank that hits like a leaf in a calm wind, and is awesome at his job while doing so, reminds me way to much about mmo's and breaks immersion for me.

I have not seen a single person complaining about Sanguine armor being OP or needing a nerf. It's certainly popular, but that because you've actually managed to give us a good unique item that we enjoy using. Why on earth would you remove it? I see absolutely no reason whatsoever for this change. I also don't see who would actually use it now. If you want to slap Frenzy on something, then it should be a light or medium armor. 

I am deeply dissapointed.

I agree. Well, just don't install patch like I won't :). Nobody force us to do this :)

Really? I don't see how I can choose not to. In Steam the only update options are

"Always keep this game up to date"

"Only update when I launch it" or

"High Priority - update first"

That is.

GUIDE: HOW NOT TO PATCH YOUR Pillars of Eternity AND PLAY WITHOUT PATCH (For Steam):

You start Steam- you change updates to "Only Update when I launch it", then you start Steam- it wont patch since you didn't start game. You click on "Steam", choose "Go Offline Mode" and from now on your Steam will start in Offline mod- which means no updates and no patches. If you want to play other game with Steam on, just start steam, go Online and it still won't patch PoE since you have "Only Update when I launch it" :).

Simple. It is my game so I will decide if I want to patch it or not.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 2

I agree that the wizard class was actually pretty damn decent before the patch, once you get a few levels under your belt and especially when you unlock 2nd level spells they get damn effective and I seriously wonder if many of the complaints about them were from people who didn't bother to play them past those early levels.  Arcane Veil however did need a boost, it was just not worth taking before previously and the endurance and health boost while won't effect my build will be useful for those who want to play more frontline type mages.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Ok, some first hand experience with the patch:

Cipher:

• Draining whip is now 33% more focus generation instead of +2 per hit. Bye blunder ciphers, hi arbalest ciphers. Carrow golan is still +4 per hit though. So maybe blunder for initial alpha to generate focus in hard fights (still easily pumps you up to ~100 with carrow), switching to pistol/sabers with usual ruffian focus. Quickswitch cipher with 4 firearms also looks much better now.
  • Greater focus adds +10 to starting focus in this build, so it essentially doubles your starting focus at level 2. I still wouldn't pick it, but it became a more viable option. I'd like to see it being less powerful, but scaling better in the next patch. Smth like 2*level.
  • Focus generation on allies doesn't work anymore :). I think I was the only one who reported this, so I'm wondering whether devs found it themselves or it was my post that made them change it. Anyway this was broken.
  • Tactical meld still works out of combat. With starting focus nerf I think it's actually fine this way though.
  • Retaliation still works for focus generation and I think it is fine with draining whip changes and gives melee ciphers extra oomph. You can still supercharge it with carrow though.
  • Amplified Thrust now actually works and is a solid single target fast spell, if a bit too random. Recommended! I think mind blades were nerfed too hard in the previous patch, at least for PotD as they're bloody useless needing to roll again for each jump. I'd give them +5-10 extra accuracy at least, they're trash compared to Thrust or even post nerf soul shock.

All in all good changes, I'd like to see some improvements to greater focus, psychic backlash (who in their own mind would pick it now?) and buffs to trash spells that no one picks (mainly 2nd and 3rd level) though. No nerf to amplified wave is a big surprise to me. I think it needs an aoe nerf for sure. 8m base is just crazy for this kind of spell. 5m would be good.

Wizard:

• Petrify changed to x3 (not x2 as some report) damage and half duration (10s base). It's still super strong.
  • Displaced image adds 50% hit to graze ON TOP of 25 deflection and 20 reflex.
  • Not sure how Safeguard bonuses have been unified but if it stacks with other defensive stuff now it's quite awesome.
  • Both draining staff and spirit lance got MAJOR buffs. Not fully tested yet, but I think they got their base damage increased compared to their normal counterparts. You understand what that means, right?
  • Both scroll and spell fan of flames got toned down. Scroll jolting touch is still the same though. Devs, if you're reading this please bring them in line. Somewhere in between would be good. Spell is useless (esp. with ghost blades being foe only now) and scroll is OP.
  • Freezing pillar and Death ring as foe only are quite awesome.
  • I think Wizard can be renamed into "Armageddon's blade" and is officially my favorite class now. Still hate grimmoire system though (and it makes no sense)
Edited by MadDemiurg

Also tooltips for DoTs have been fixed. My corrosive siphon now says Foe Aoe: Drains 83.9 corrosive damage as endurance in 2.08m for 15.5 sec. Doesn't sound half bad.

If the potion of displaced image works the way spell does, it's almost a hard counter to Adra Dragon now.

50% grazes still leave 50% hits. Nevertheless, it's quite awesome anyway.

Things I don't like about the patch:

• Blizzard nerf - needed a nerf, but was nerfed too much.
  • Stag horn nerf - simply unnecessary imo.

The change to Sanguine Plate makes Retaliation builds dependent on getting Hiro's Cloak.

... because this game needed moar rng amirite?

Cipher's now the only class that has good retaliation synergy imo. Most retal builds are obsolete. Also, there's a shield from main quest ruins which you can get quite early,

Edit: Safeguard bonuses DO stack with other defensive buffs. My glasscanon wizard has 170 deflection, ~130 all saves, 41-62 melee damage in 2.5m radius with good speed, 26 DT with exceptional fullplate, +110% action speed (50 aclaricity 60 dex) and 100 melee accuracy. Lol.  Most buffs last reasonably long too.

Edited by MadDemiurg

Trial of Iron: Loading a game will now force a save to happen to prevent save scumming.

Oops?

I do not understand this one? You cannot load while playing trial of Iron anyway & they cant mean quitting. If you quit during combat it still wont save?

Nerf to fan of flames is going to hurt solo when you try and do Keep vs shades

"There's a new option to reset newly recruited companions to level 1 (without losing the experience). This will allow you to level up companions to your liking" This is very cool. So that means you can finally get rid of Bear's Fortitude on Durance? :) Will this be a retroactive fix? (the wording suggests it is a once off thing the moment they join your party, so if you already have them in your save then....)

Also what does +33% focus generation instead of + an additional 2 mean. It is 2 focus per hit by default +33% of 2 is <1 ???

Edited by Omnicron
  • Like 1

6ej155.jpg

I dunno, +33% cast speed looks good for casters :p. Problem is, you need to get critted first. Cipher looks like he got a buff for solo (starting focus nerf isn't as big of a deal in long fights  and endurance buff is nice, while soul shock is useless solo), but a nerf for party play (50% less for initial alpha, plus soul shock is a bit weaker (still pretty good though)). Melee wizards looks OP with this patch, but seems like the devs really want it to happen. It was possible to make it work before with some effort, now his skillset is just asking for it. Jedi Wizard it is. 

How are wizards becoming Jedi's? I played a fighter/mage in the BG series and it was one of my favorite classes to play. Are you saying wizards are now able to have a similar play style with the most recent changes?

I dunno, +33% cast speed looks good for casters :p. Problem is, you need to get critted first. Cipher looks like he got a buff for solo (starting focus nerf isn't as big of a deal in long fights  and endurance buff is nice, while soul shock is useless solo), but a nerf for party play (50% less for initial alpha, plus soul shock is a bit weaker (still pretty good though)). Melee wizards looks OP with this patch, but seems like the devs really want it to happen. It was possible to make it work before with some effort, now his skillset is just asking for it. Jedi Wizard it is. 

How are wizards becoming Jedi's? I played a fighter/mage in the BG series and it was one of my favorite classes to play. Are you saying wizards are now able to have a similar play style with the most recent changes?

It is. Wizards got a major buff to base health/endurance, heavy buffs on all defensive spells and conjured weapons (staff/lance) are super strong now.

It is. Wizards got a major buff to base health/endurance, heavy buffs on all defensive spells and conjured weapons (staff/lance) are super strong now.

Very interesting. I always liked dual wielding blades and slinging spells in BG. Though I never wore heavy armor and wielded 2H weapons and  it looks like I may need to use the conjured weapons (which are 2H).

Any chance of having a viable dual wield wizard build? I may need to ask the theory crafters.

Also what does +33% focus generation instead of + an additional 2 mean. It is 2 focus per hit by default +33% of 2 is <1 ???

By default focus is smth like damage/4. Draining is now better with anything that deals > 24 damage per hit. And effectively obsolete as a combo with blunderbus.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 1

Apparently some of you already have the new patch? Does this mean it is finished being tested? And although it shows today as release ( If it was positive. ) is this a world wide release all at once, or will it be released on another day here in Europe for instance?

It's beta and its up on Steam.

Ah so it is still being tested and not official yet, would explain why Steam has not updated to that patch so far.

EDIT: Sorry to hear that azmodael. 

Edited by Fessels

Traps can now be passively detected at -4 Mechanics.

Anyone care to explain this one to me? I assume you can get minus mechanics via gear or glitches or something?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Anyone care to explain this one to me? I assume you can get minus mechanics via gear or glitches or something?

My guess is that it means that the trap will be detected at 4 ranks below the Mechs threshold necessary to disarm it.

Either that, or you can now detect traps outside Scouting mode, if your Mechs skill level exceeds the in-scouting-mode spotting threshold for that trap by 4.

They made a whole lot of buffs to Wizards, which is frankly imo not necessary as they are strong class, able to solo Triple Crown (as was proofed) but still I have nothing against it and good for them, since they seem to be underplayed class.

To be more specific, they improved Wizards that use buffs to become warriors. Wizards that are played as standard IE casters appear to have actually been nerfed in the undocumented changes (e.g. to nobody's surprise, Gaze of the Adragan has been severely nerfed).

Lol, this does absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.  You play the game as a "standard IE caster" for a very long time prior to that spell.  Plus, the radius is so small to begin with, and there are very few fights where it truly shined that it wasn't even worth picking most of the time as one of your first two spells at level 11.  Even with it in my book, I almost never used it when I could simply use Amplified Wave with a Cipher and something else on the Wizard.

Its biggest influence was on PotD anyway.

My guess is that it means that the trap will be detected at 4 ranks below the Mechs threshold necessary to disarm it.

Either that, or you can now detect traps outside Scouting mode, if your Mechs skill level exceeds the in-scouting-mode spotting threshold for that trap by 4.

Since it says passively detect, that indicates to me that it's outside of Stealth.  It could mean without any Mechanics investment, but I doubt that's it.

Edited by Sanctuary

Wizard:

• Petrify changed to x3 (not x2 as some report) damage and half duration (10s base). It's still super strong.
Out of curiosity, was anything done about the 5th level Druid spell Embrace of the Earth Talon? It was always a better way to inflict petrification than Gaze of the Adragan because you get it earlier (9th level rather than 11th), it attacks Reflex (rather than Fortitude) and thus has much better synergy with other status effects (including Petrified itself!) and it does damage in addition to inflicting the status effect. The only advantages Gaze had was that it is Foe Only (doesn't really matter much since the radius is so small) and the significantly longer duration (not in 1.05).

Lol, this does absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.  You play the game as a "standard IE caster" for a very long time prior to that spell.  Plus, the radius is so small to begin with, and there are very few fights where it truly shined that it wasn't even worth picking most of the time as one of your first two spells at level 11.

Its biggest influence was on PotD anyway.

It was an example. If you want more examples, Fan of Flames (which you get immediately and is your bread-and-butter damage spell) has also been nerfed and the effectiveness of the Bracers of Spiritual Power has been cut in half.

Uh since I do not play Wizard (I despite grimore mechanic) and I don't like other changes I will pass.

Wizard were strong enough with some of their rotations/combos. Sure, melee Wizard will be fun, but with all their defensive boosts I am afraid that good min-max build will be better tank then Paladin. Still not as good as Fighters, but you get my point.

They could buff Druid Spiritshifts. I am using mods that allow me to stay in animal form till fight end and boost a little their stats, but I wish devs could see how usless spirit forms are in end-game due to its stupid duration (not even stated in description of ability...)

Ah, ok. Makes sense, thanks. The wording confuzzled me.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts