Am I the only one who wonders why Mr Sawyer's vacation or non-vacation schedule should be of any interest to the general public?

• Like 14

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Am I the only one who wonders why Mr Sawyer's vacation or non-vacation schedule should be of any interest to the general public?

He sets style standards, and is followed by paparazzi and appeared on "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" making where he vacations THE destination spot for the next year?

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's an interesting version of events. I wonder if your mind is so warped that it skews reality to convince you that that's exactly what happened, or if you know that you're seriously twisting the story and you just don't care because you want to convert another mindless drone to your cause. It amuses me how sure you are that you and that group of raving lunatics that would not (and still won't, apparently) shut up about the insignificantly benign memorial incident are "the more reasonable people."

Well, at least you're consistent. Carry on.

Luckmann is a troll. This is not something he has tried to hide. Whether or not he's actually an a**hole is sort of besides the point. Whether or not he believes the garbage he spews on this subject has nothing to do with the reason he spews it.

DNFT.

Rehab.

But he said no, no, no.

Toosoon.gif

• Like 4

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

We have a saying in the UK, "he's a Marmite person."

Marmite, lest you are unaware, is a beefy-tasting yeast-extract spread. It has a very distinct flavour that people tend to either love or hate. Marmite is definitely not an "oh, that's kinda OK" phenomenon.

Josh is almost Marmite. Obviously, I don't know the man, only from his online persona, but he can be cold and aloof. He is clearly cleverer than you. And me. He abhors criticism, and even after years of being tossed in the harsh stormwinds of the internet, he can still be wounded.

OTOH he is dry, witty and clearly extremely intelligent. He takes his trade seriously, which can be both a blessing and a curse. He comes across as a person of carefully-considered and genuine beliefs, also a blessing and a curse.

In short, he is an interesting and flawed human being. This is why he finds himself cast, in the hyper-critical culture of gaming geekery, Marmite.

Personally, I'm one of those mercurial people who sometimes enjoys Marmite, and occasionally cares little for it.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 6

sonsofgygax.JPG

am near certain josh is/was posting after poe release, just not as josh.  posting as a developer changes the dynamic o' a board discussion.  some folks defer to developers.  other folks is instant antagonistic.  post with an alt allows discussion w/o all the sawyer/obsidian baggage.

that being said, actual haven't seen what we believe to be his alt in the last week or so.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am near certain josh is/was posting after poe release, just not as josh. posting as a developer changes the dynamic o' a board discussion. some folks defer to developers. other folks is instant antagonistic. post with an alt allows discussion w/o all the sawyer/obsidian baggage.

that being said, actual haven't seen what we believe to be his alt in the last week or so.

HA! Good Fun!

Is this a new theory or something you've been suspecting for a while now...regarding a specific alt?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

am near certain josh is/was posting after poe release, just not as josh. posting as a developer changes the dynamic o' a board discussion. some folks defer to developers. other folks is instant antagonistic. post with an alt allows discussion w/o all the sawyer/obsidian baggage.

HA! Good Fun!

Is this a new theory or something you've been suspecting for a while now...regarding a specific alt?

not new.  mentioned to mc a while ago.  within days after release we were convinced that a particular non-backer poster with intimate knowledge o' the mechanics o' poe were josh.  posting style were recognizable to us as josh from years past-- bit more acerbic than the currently more diplomatic sawyer.  also, we recall that josh made a comment in an interview that implied that posting as a non developer offered different insights and opportunities.  posting with an alt  would be consistent with his observation and with Gromnir's suspicion regarding the poster named ___________.  it would also explain josh's unusual absence.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There was a post elsewhere that I saw a while back, and someone there replied that based on pics posted to one of his 'net thingies, it appeared he was indeed on vacation. If he was, we all need/deserve time off and I hope he had a fun time.

As to his posting habits ... no idea.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

He's posting actively to his Instagram. He is in fact on vacation -- 30 days of biking.

Apparently I am a bigger stalker than OP.

Bike voyeurs go here.

Cant EDIT:  please don't make things personal (any more than this thread already is) between members.

Edited by Cantousent
  • Like 1

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

not new.  mentioned to mc a while ago.  within days after release we were convinced that a particular non-backer poster with intimate knowledge o' the mechanics o' poe were josh.  posting style were recognizable to us as josh from years past-- bit more acerbic than the currently more diplomatic sawyer.  also, we recall that josh made a comment in an interview that implied that posting as a non developer offered different insights and opportunities.  posting with an alt  would be consistent with his observation and with Gromnir's suspicion regarding the poster named ___________.  it would also explain josh's unusual absence.

HA! Good Fun!

So we are looking for a non-backer who should have had a cat picture up until now...

or...

Definitely this. If I spent all my time on a game, I would welcome criticism, but I would not welcome people making snide remarks and borderline insulting comments all the time and hide behind ''constructive criticism, grow a spine'' when called out on it. 

At some point, some people have to recognize there are human beings on the other side of their forum posts. Humans who just might (and brace yourselves, I know this will hurt) not agree with their viewpoints, and who have no obligation to answer one particular criticism over thousands and thousands of others, nor to cater to a particular group if they don't want to.

The more I look at the sort of virtual lynch mobs that form as soon as something they don't like happens, the more I understand why developpers increasingly seek a more controlled environment for their feedback. Some might call it isolating themselves or censorship or whatnot, I call it being able to keep their sanity in an era where you can get death threats for changing the stats of some guns in Call of Duty. To say nothing of cluster****s like the recent controversy about paid mods on Steam.

You know you sound a lot like a dev yourself so it's probably you. If I was a  cat worshiping developer I would definitely want to post in such a thread as my secret alter ego.

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

HA! Good Fun!

There goes my Josh is trolling us with Volo theories...

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

HA! Good Fun!

There goes my Josh is trolling us with Volo theories...

your theory is as valid as Gromnir's... but vol were too visible on the daily bioware development boards for us to seriously consider him as a developer joke alt... not that we thought you were serious.

gaider did similar stuff.  is never that he denied that rylock or whatever were an alt, but he didn't announce it either.

HA! Good Fun!

I thought Gaider was pretty upfront with Rylock if I recall. But that was his handle for non-Bio boards.

...Waiting on a long line of Obsidian dev alts proclaiming "I am Spartacus!"

I remember back when I was a mod on BIS (yeah its one of THESE stories again) it was great to have my mod account and my poster account.  There was never any confusion about whether I was posting as a mod or as my usual happy casual poster type.

So I can understand having a stealth mode as a developer, in general, one so you can be you and one where you can be Mr./Ms. Developer-with-important-developery-type-things-to-say.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wow, the dude who wrote that is really grinding Sawyer's rod.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Wow, the dude who wrote that is really grinding Sawyer's rod.

Or maybe they just liked the game?  Seriously the only forums I know of on the internet that had negative feelings about this game are RPG Codex (which hates basically everything except BG2 and maybe Torment) and hilariously this one. 

• Like 8

I'm looking forward to the expansion for PoE1. I'm also excited that Sawyer indicated the importance of introducing players to a familiar setting that contains lore about other regions in Eora. This really opens up the number of possibilities for new titles. I wouldn't mind exploring new lands and experiencing completely different adventures (I'm thinking of the Elder Scrolls series - each game taking place in a different nation) in future releases.

• Like 2