Are retail copies strictly only Steam-enabled?

Hi everybody,

I'm a newcomer to this forum, so please excuse me if this is NOT in the correct 'Subforum'. If it isn't, can someone please redirect me to where it should go, or alternatively, move it please! Also, if my questions have already been answered in a previous thread, could you please also kindly redirect me.

Anyways, here are my questions! I'd like to find out if retail copies of this game (it seems like only the Hero and Champion editions are available @ retail) can only be activated via Steam? The reason I'm asking is considering I'd like to know if once activated in Steam (strictly referring to the Hero edition now), will I be able to download the extra content ONLY (to upgrade to either the Champion or Royal edition) as per usual (e.g. buying the Hero edition  online from Steam (as apposed to a retail copy) and then upgrading to either the Hero or Champion edition at a later stage via Steam as well).

Furthermore, are the retail copies (both the Hero and Chamption edition) available as DRM-free by any chance? I've heard that they're strictly ONLY Steam-enabled? Is this true?

Once I have answers to these questions, it would CONSIDERABLY help me in making up my mind in terms of purchasing the game or not, and from whom.

Your contribution would be much appreciated!

Regards,
D03

I have no idea about upgradability through different product tiers through Steam.  But, if you looking for a DRM free solution, you're only option is Good Old Games, I believe. You can get Hero, Champion, or Royal editions through GoG. Honestly, the extra content is all additional digital goodies; there is nothing added to the actual game.

Unless the digital goodies are important to you, the Hero Edition from GoG should suffice.

Edited by 76prophet

Thanks for all the replies! I got all the necessary details I needed from everyone's replies. I also did some online research and made a couple of phone calls to local retailers in my country. So basically, as you guys stated, ANY retail copy will be Steam-enabled. If you want it DRM-free, you have to go the GOG route. I decided to go the Steam route and purchased my copy yesterday ("WHOOO-HOOO!!!").

Although I fully support DRM-free gaming, some people will argue (in this case I am) that Steam makes things VERY convenient for its users. I like having all my games in one place, locked to my account, and auto-update'able'. Basically what I'm trying to say is, that DRM is only crap if it becomes a problem. And in terms of Steam, I guess you could say that it's DRM that I LIKE VERY MUCH, without ever causing me much trouble. I am however a bit disappointed with GOG's DRM-free service. If you purchased a Hero edition on Steam (or via retail, which will be Steam-enabled), you can update your Hero edition to the Champion or Royal edition at a later stage (at a fee of course). Why would this not be available for purchase as DRM-free downloads on GOG? Couldn't they be making more money this way? So basically you're stuck with ONLY either of the 3 editions and NEVER being able to update them! That kinda sucks! Kudos to Steam!

Also, is it true that the DRM-free copies ALWAYS get patched later (in other words, Steam will always take preference)? I remember having read that somewhere on Obsidian's website a couple of days ago.If people wanna bitch about Steam being bad for the industry because it's DRM-based, then they should at least make sure that DRM-free users get access to EXACTLY the same stuff, at EXACTLY the same price, at EXACTLY the same time!!! *which is not always the case I'm affraid*

My 2 cents on why DRM-free (just like how DRM-based) can sometimes SUCK ASS!!!

Yes, GOG games typically get patches later. Waiting a few days doesn't make it "SUCK ASS!!!" in my mind, it is merely a minor inconvenience and not even an inconvenience at all if I'm not planning to play on patch day. Or if I don't want to apply the patch at all.

GOG Galaxy does optional autoupdates, I recently got my hands on it so I'll have to look into it.

The bottom line is, all methods have drawbacks. It's only natural, isn't it? I don't think I've ever seen anyone arguing that GOG is the best choice in every single aspect. You use what you prefer.

Er-ah.. the Backers version had better be DRM free.. that better be why - or one of the reasons why - we're waiting to get these physical disks.

The backer version is entirely DRM free, they have stated that on multiple occasions. You can install it off the disc, and run it without any Internet connection whatsoever.

To be fair I don't think GOG has taken longer than 24 hours to have the patch ready for download for PoE. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I can't speak of other games though because this the only new one I have from GOG so the rest are already fully patched when I purchase / download.

Also, is it true that the DRM-free copies ALWAYS get patched later (in other words, Steam will always take preference)? I remember having read that somewhere on Obsidian's website a couple of days ago.If people wanna bitch about Steam being bad for the industry because it's DRM-based, then they should at least make sure that DRM-free users get access to EXACTLY the same stuff, at EXACTLY the same price, at EXACTLY the same time!!!

Steam and GOG use different philosophies when it comes to patching. It's true that Steam patches come out a day or two earlier, but this is because they do a straight-up replacement of all affected files which means that patches are rather large. GOG actually packages the patches so you only download the differences. For example, Patch 1.03 of PoE was around 10 times smaller on GOG than on Steam. Also, unless you disable updates, Steam will automatically update your game whereas with GOG you have the choice to update or not as you see fit, but you need to download the update yourself.

Therefore, it is not exactly the same, but nor is Steam unequivocally superior. They make different tradeoffs.

• Like 1