[1.05b] Won't launch; stuck at "Preparing to launch"

kad032000

Question

Attempting to launch 1.05b from Steam results in a popup showing "Preparing to launch Pillars of Eternity". After a few seconds this popup goes away. A few seconds later it comes back. This continues forever and the game never launches.

I tried restarting steam, restarting computer, verifying cache with no luck.

Edited by kad032000

20 answers to this question

Sorry for two posts in a row.

I still have that problem. Tried restarting steam, like OP, cache, complete restart, reverting back to 1.04 (runs smoothly) - but with this beta patch the game starts and immediately shuts down. No crashlogs, no nothing.

If it helps, I use

Mac OS X, 10.10.3

3,4 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

EDIT:

I looked into the content and tried to run it from there. My terminal gives me this:

NameiMac:~ Name$ /Users/Name/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars\ of\ Eternity/PillarsOfEternity.app/Contents/MacOS/PillarsOfEternity ; exit;

Failed to locate data folder

logout

Edited by Durgarnkuld

Confirming the same behavior on OS X 10.10.3: Failed to find data folder. I happen to also have a copy of the GOG version installed, I used my second backer key to install on Steam to try running the beta. I compared to contents of the bundles and identified the missing files: in Data files matching level*, *assets*, and the folders Managed and Resources were missing.

After copying those over the game launches from Steam, but it claims to be 1.04 on the title screen in the lower left corner. I'm not sure if the game will behave as 1.04, 1.05b, or a mixture from behavior to behavior with this setup, and I'm not really planning on testing it. Just letting you know what files were missing from the 1.05b push.

OP Here. Just FYI it was on Windows for me.

No idea if this is related, but I just noticed that about 5-10 minutes before it mysteriously started working, Steam shows a download for PoE that it indicates as "0 bytes / 0 bytes"

Hello guys,

I am new on this forum and I have the same problem. I installed the patch today (my first beta patch)

and I cannot launch the game. ;(  Fortunately, I can go back to the 1.04 version.

My computer details :

Mac Book Pro (Retina 15-inch, late 2013)

Yosemite 10.10.4

2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

16Go 

NVidia Geforce GT 750M 2048Mo

Thanks in advance !

Laurent

Edited by qtaim76

I can confirm this too. OS X 10.10.3.

I was hoping this patch fixed the full-screen issue on OS X, but now the game won't start at all.

A "full-screen" bug ? I do not have this problem with my Mac. 

I am having this issue too on OSX 10.10.3 . Click Launch on Steam - PoE icon appears in the dock for about half a second and then disappears - the game doesn't launch at all. What I did find interesting is my PoE icon on the desktop is greyed out as if it doesn't know where the game files are anymore.

Guest Matt Sheets

Hey,

Can you post your system specs and any output logs on an external hosting site (such as Dropbox)?

Output Log

Mac Location: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

-Matt

Matt,

I mentioned this earlier: the output log mentioned does not change when I try to play PoE. It crashes before anything starts.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inc, Late 2013)
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Software: OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3

I'm having a similar (same?) problem on my Mac.  Just updated to 1.05 and now when I launch the game it spools for a moment (window flashes on screen, icon briefly in dock).

Tried restarting Steam and my Mac, and verified files (everything checked out fine.)

Will either delete local files & reinstall (will be results if I do) or might drop back to 1.04.

Hey,

Can you post your system specs and any output logs on an external hosting site (such as Dropbox)?

Output Log

Mac Location: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

-Matt

Matt - uhhh, Mr. Sheets ( :bow: ) - I'm about to message you a Dropbox link to my player log.  As you'll see, there's... just... a wild amount of stuff going wrong.

I'm on a 2013 Macbook Pro 15" Retina 2.4GHz Intel i7, 8GB Ram, 500GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB.

Thanks for looking into this.  Thanks for... well, everything I guess :)

Update - problem persists.

I cleared local data and reinstalled.  Booted fine into 1.04, but crashed again starting up into 1.05b.

Very, very different player.log this time, though; Matt: I will message you that link in a moment.

I really really (really, really really) hope we get this fixed soon, I am addicted to this amazingly superb game and am trying to start a new playthrough, and am fiercely looking forward to, especially, companion rebuilds, so I've got to wait for 1.05 to function.  Oh plz plz plz fix!

Thanks!

I didn't have time beforehand, so I downloaded the beta again today to assist troubleshooting. But it works! For me at least. Fixed?

Yes !!  :yes:

It works for me too !!! I thank the developers for having fixed this.