[FIGHTER BUILD] The little Orlan that kills, POTD, TOI, Blind

(Scroll all the way down for example fights and lots of screenshots of various battles).

Portraits (for use in game)

male_orlan_a_lg.pngmale_orlan_a_sm.png

Difficulty

- Path of the Damned

- Trial of Iron

Class/Role

- Fighter

- DPS, off tank, flanker or second tank to form shield wall with eder

- Laborer (+1 athletics & mechanic)

or279b0c.jpg

Race/Origin

- Orlan - +10 chance to critical when attacking same target as ally

- Living lands for +1 might

Stats

- Might: 18

- Con: 3

- Dex: 18

- Per: 18

- Int: 3

- Resolve: 18

or188417.jpg

NOTE: Fighter have constant recovery which heals you for +3.9 endurance, this is why you can get away with low constitution for this build. 

This was my health after clearing all of magran's fork at level 3 with the following party, compare it to eder's.

image.jpg

NOTE: I was able to kill all the wolves in Valenwood solo by backing into a corner and fighting them two at a time, I drank one beer, made and ate Duc's Own Beefloaf and pearlwood chicken, used one minor recovery potion.

Weapons/Food

1st weapon slot - Estoc

2nd weapon slot - Pollaxe or Warbow depending on intel gathered before fight. Optional Hatchet & Large shield is a great choice too which can put the Orlan in high deflection mode in case he needs to temporarily tank.  He already gets high deflection from the perception & resolve being at 18.

NOTE: Estoc for piercing DR bypass, Pollaxe in case you need slash/crush, Warbow in case you need to range if path to enemy is blocked.

NOTE: Estoc penetrates heavy player enemies extremely well.

Always drink Ale + Pearlwood chicken for fights you think may be tough.  This applies to all companions.  Minimum, make sure eder and this character eat chicken and ale before tough fights.  pearlwood chick gives +2 constitution, +10 endurance and the ale gives +2 damage reduction.

Skills

- Disciplined Barrage - Increase accuracy which means higher chance of critical

- Weapon Focus Adventurer - Gives +6 accuracy for Estoc, Pollaxe & Warbow.

- Confident Aim - 1.2x minimum damage, 20% of grazes convert to hits

- What you pick after is your choice since the above three skills is most important.

org47389c.jpg

NOTE: On POTD you'll need all the accuracy you can get. Accuracy ensures higher chance of getting those criticals.

NOTE: In order of priority increase Mechanic, Athletic, then a little bit to survival, lore and sneaking. I like having multiple utilities at my disposal.

ARMOR

- Plate or Brigandine

- Heaviest armor you can get

Tactics

- Let tank go in first, once enemies have chosen their targets, move behind an enemy to flank with your estoc or pollaxe.  Have the entire party also focus your target with ranged attacks. 

- Save disciplined barrage for the most dangerous enemy in the group.

Damage

- VS WOLF, When you're level 3 you'll do 25-36 damage with each hit and rarely miss.

- VS SHADE, When you're level 4 you'll do enough damage to a shade to take it down even with it's 16 DR.

- VS Plate Armor Tank Enemy, you'll do enough damage to take him down with no problem.

Survivability & Recovering from Mistakes

- This build is all about surviving mistakes, but still being a powerful DPS.  Rogue, Barbarian, Monk and any other class would normally go down if you make a mistake, but with this build you can make a mistake and still recover due to high high deflection and constant recovery which make it great for blind play through.

Level 3's VS Boars

Positioning First, Notice the tree to right of Eder, notice our orlan fighter slightly behind and to the left of eder. We're going to let eder handle as many of the boars as possible.

1ae0b3.jpg

Boars attack, notice how they are confused, so I don't attack with the Orlan fighter and patiently wait, situation is under control.

27df46.jpg

Young boar moves in, now is a good time to move in our fighter, I make durance, kana & aloth help focus fire the young boar.
39d949.jpg

After young boar dies, two boars move in and attack the Orlan fighter, THIS IS BAD. I MESSED UP.  I I should've moved the orlan fighter back after killing the young boar, which would of resulted in one of the boars attacking eder and the other engaging the orlan fighter.  At this point have aloth, durance & kana focus fire the boar on left.

650323.jpg

Two hits from both boars took the Orlan down to two bubbles of endurance, so I have Durance heal him back to four bubbles.

7e37d9.jpg

Our orlan is still taking a bit of damage, boars hit hard, due to constant recovery I have enough time to have Durance put down the consecrated ground healing circle.

8c6b14.jpg

Even with consecrated ground boars hit real hard, so I have durance throw a healing iconic projection toward our fighter.

95371b.jpg

Our orlan fighter kills boar, constantly hitting for 25-30 damage and NEVER missing. He has not missed once up to this point.

10728c6.jpg

Next boar, focus fire with party.

1142061.jpg

You can check out the damage numbers on the bottom right for our fighter orlan, note that he has still not missed an attack up to this point, reliably dealing 25-30 damage with each attack.

1246cc1.jpg

Boar hitting our orlan fighter stats.

13d73f7.jpg

Our orlan fighter doesn't miss any atttacks, continuing to reliably deal 25-30 dmg per hit.

14d94e0.jpg

Move in to flank and get that flanking bonus, normally this is what you want to do at the start of the fight, but the BOARS WERE TOO MANY.

15b15ad.jpg

The orlan did not miss one attack during the whole fight and was able to take damage from two hard hitting high level boars on POTD until Durance came in for the heals.

16b7749.jpg

Conclusion

The beauty of this build is in recovering from mistakes which is vital if you're playing POTD, Trial of Iron in a blind play through, while still being able to dish out DR bypass critical damage. Remember to let the tank go in first, let the enemies settle into position, assess the situation, then decide if you're going to use the orlan fighter or patiently wait.

The point of this build is to deal high damage criticals without missing and having that constant recovery to stay on the front line.

I've tried rogues & monks, but they go down too fast before I have time to heal with durance.  I make mistakes and recovering from them is important.

Another thing you can do is equip a large shield & hatchet, if your orlan fighter gets into too much trouble, just switch him to hatchet & large shield and he'll go into HIGH deflection mode.

*cheers*

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

What does 'Blind' mean in this context?

And yeah DPS Fighter is pretty fun. Got a 1H Sabre Fighter who stays out of harm's way by stacking bonus Def vs. Disengagement.

• Like 1

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

What does 'Blind' mean in this context?

And yeah DPS Fighter is pretty fun. Got a 1H Sabre Fighter who stays out of harm's way by stacking bonus Def vs. Disengagement.

Blind is when you've never played the game before and you don't know what to expect, so having a build that can survive mistakes is essential. In my case I've been doing iron man, trial of iron, dead is dead, no death rule sets for years.  One thing I've learned is that you're going to make mistakes and recovering from them is the most important.  This build is great for recovering from mistakes due to the survivability that comes from constant recovery.

Quote, Mazeltov,

stacking bonus Def vs. Disengagement.

Can you explain this a bit more?  Your deflection determines how well you can disengage?

Edited by luzarius

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Tank n Flank strategy

1. tank goes in first, waits for all enemies to attack him.

f1685a5.jpg

2. then flank

f2ac845.jpg

Xaurip Champion had 59 defense

c1a7409.jpg

Edited by luzarius

I've tried rogues & monks, but they go down too fast before I have time to heal with durance.  I make mistakes and recovering from them is important.

Lol about monk- just give him Moon race and spam Torment Reach. My monk on level of your fighter was dishing out much faster and higher DPS with Torment Reach unarmed on solo PotD :). I cleared those areas with 16 Might Torment Reach spam. On level 7 in Woedika Temple he was critic for 47-56 with it with only 18 Might with much faster attack speed and 2x attacks per skill use.

But apart from that- nice build :). But I don't see purpouse of it. It is not tank, since 3 CON, it is not DPS since Rogue, Ranger, Monk and Barbarian would be better. So it is nice for lolz and looks fun but for flanker there are much better options.

I dont like Fighters- they don't have as good DPS as monks, not as good Single target damage as Rogues/Rangers and Barbarians out DPS them vs groups. They are basicely best tanks- sure, but if you play with party, not solo, I dont know why you'd care about Constant Recovery if you have priests and everything els :).

Heh, but I have to one day make Moon Fighter just for lolz :D with Constant Recovery and Shod-in-Faith Boots and draining weapons :D.

Edited by Voltron

Lol about monk- just give him Moon race and spam Torment Reach. My monk on level of your fighter was dishing out much faster and higher DPS with Torment Reach unarmed on solo PotD :). I cleared those areas with 16 Might Torment Reach spam. On level 7 in Woedika Temple he was critic for 47-56 with it with only 18 Might with much faster attack speed and 2x attacks per skill use.

But apart from that- nice build :). But I don't see purpouse of it. It is not tank, since 3 CON, it is not DPS since Rogue, Ranger, Monk and Barbarian would be better. So it is nice for lolz and looks fun but for flanker there are much better options.

I dont like Fighters- they don't have as good DPS as monks, not as good Single target damage as Rogues/Rangers and Barbarians out DPS them vs groups. They are basicely best tanks- sure, but if you play with party, not solo, I dont know why you'd care about Constant Recovery if you have priests and everything els :).

Heh, but I have to one day make Moon Fighter just for lolz :D with Constant Recovery and Shod-in-Faith Boots and draining weapons :D.

Hmm, I decided to try a monk with the build in OP and it worked well. It's working great with spamming torment's reach. I was able to solo all those wolves in valenwood.

Anyone reading, you can also try the above build in OP as a monk, it works well, grab torment's reach, i had scale armor, duc's meatloaf, peralwood chicken, beer vs those wolves in a corner two at a time in valenwood and i won, i had to use one minor recovery potion which is np.

Edited by luzarius

Trolling much?

Eventually you reach a point where those around you cannot comprehend your level of thinking.

"This makes no sense to me, he must be trolling!"

Quote, Mazeltov,

stacking bonus Def vs. Disengagement.

Can you explain this a bit more?  Your deflection determines how well you can disengage?

Combining Zealous Charge, Cloak of Withdrawal and Fast Runner yields +35 to all Defenses when targeted by a Disengagement attack, for example. The +3 Move Speed from this setup helps both offensively and defensively.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

I tried monk and it seems risky.

Just out of curiosity.. why do you play PotD with Trial of Iron but not with Expert mode? Why the benefit of having exact AoE spells all the while you try to have the rest of the game as hard as possible?

Just out of curiosity.. why do you play PotD with Trial of Iron but not with Expert mode? Why the benefit of having exact AoE spells all the while you try to have the rest of the game as hard as possible?

I wouldn't know how to gauge the distance of the AOE spells.  I also like having the [aggressive] [cruel] [clever] show up next to sentences so I can interpret the writer with 100% accuracy.   If I had it off, I could mistakingly interpret something as cruel when it was aggressive.

A caster should know the distance of his spells anyways, that's why it makes sense for the AOE circle thing to appear.  I guess if the caster was a novice, perhaps the circle could be inaccurate until he becomes a better mage or something.

It would take more skill to not use my mouse and just rely on the keyboard, I could also try to use one hand, oh and I could also try to ride a bike with a flat tire! :)

You know what though, playing with that toggle off "maim before killed", that is tough. I was thinking of trying that.  I think I'd be okay since my character has never run out of health.

Edited by luzarius

Guys be careful of necrotic lance and a lucky roll. My fighter orlan was wearing brigandine armor. Ludrana cast necrotic lance against me and critted for 57 damage, instantly knocking this build out. Necrotic lance vs Fortitude, I only have 30 fortitude.  She rolled a 98, so it was GG.. LOL. I still won the fight but without the orlan fighter.  Just something to beware of.

Throwing this out there:

GOTTA EAT MAN

mcbn.jpg

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Trolling much?

Eventually you reach a point where those around you cannot comprehend your level of thinking.

Yeah those kindergarten fights against wolves and boars are way over my ability, good that somebody makes a guide for them.

It also makes a lot of sense somebody who wants to play blind would go on the internet and look up build guides ... not

Trolling much?

Yeah those kindergarten fights against wolves and boars are way over my ability, good that somebody makes a guide for them.

It also makes a lot of sense somebody who wants to play blind would go on the internet and look up build guides ... not

Look at the second response to this thread.  "What does blind mean?"  The goal is to get people to play POTD and Trial of Iron, since it's the best way to experience this game IMO.

Let me put it simply for you, this post is me saying, "this is how I play, why don't you try it too?"

Most people say that you should play POTD once you've beaten the game once, but I don't believe in that. IMO you should do POTD on TOI in a blind play through. Even if you already know the first 20-30% of the game, you can still enjoy the rest of the game on POTD, TOI, blind.

When I first started playing I was on normal, that got too easy, then I tried hard, too easy.  Eventually I tried POTD and died a few times, I got frustrated, but I was having much more fun with the game.  Now, here I am sharing my build that is showing success in a POTD, TOI, blind play through. I'm hoping others that come to the forum will see what I'm trying to do and help me or try this style of play.

"Luzarius, I was trying to play the game in a blind play through, on POTD, TOI, but it got difficult and I died, then I found your thread, thanks man, good advice!"

"Luzarius, I've never tried TOI in a blind playthrough before, I'm going to give it a try".

I used the boars example because they hit hard, very hard and there are so many of them. The whole point of the boars example was to demonstrate how to deal with mistakes and to show that the Orlan fighter can handle being in volatile situations. When you play Pillars POTD, TOI, blind you're going to have to learn to deal with mistakes.

Also, soloing the wolves in Valenwood is tough, I don't consider that a cakewalk.

I've been doing Ironman for years on http://www.twitch.tv/luzarius and I do whatever I can to promote this play style. It's the proper way to play a game in my controversial opinion, but only if you have the time for it. 

This post has multiple intentions, some obvious, some indirect, some hidden. (You took a bite, so I know it's working, welcome to my thread).

In THIS post, I make a frontal assault on Raedric's hold with the ranger build.  I'll probably do the same for this build here & provide screenshots.

Edited by luzarius

Temple of Eothas - I don't mean to bump the thread, just want to dedicate this post to TOE

freeze.jpg

Scout first

te160e76.jpg

Corner up, it's POTD, trial of iron, show no mercy! Orlan fighter & eder up front.

te293108.jpg

CHICKEN & ALE FTW

te381386.jpg

- Have Eder pull a conan and just unstealth in front of the enemies, then pull back into the front of the line.

- At this point make sure you maintain that front line, do not move eder or the orlan fighter from that line.

- Durance puts down consecrated ground for heals.

- The orlan fighter cannot reach the shade, so I have him attack the shadow, once that shadow dies, the shade should hopefully come closer.

- Kana attacks shade.

- REMEMBER, you don't want to attack shadows, you want to focus the shades first. Just ignore the shadows unless you have to kill one to get to the shade.

te4bb2e7.jpg

-Orlan fighter kills shadow quickly, will the shade come closer?

te5ce3d8.jpg

- Yes, shade gets close enough and immediately have the orlan fighter attack the shade.

- get aloth & kana to focus fire the shade.

- durance puts on armor of faith for more damage reduction on allies

te6dab73.jpg

- Orlan Fighters current status and damage reduction stats

- Even though shades/shadows have high rest to chill fog, just throw one down it still does a bit of damage.

te76db68.jpg

- continue to attack shade with orlan fighter, but don't move position, don't move

- aloth attemps to blind them

- durance casts his lesser burst of summer flame, fire hurts these things

te95a5aa.jpg

-durance puts up the blessing that gives accuracy and dmg boost to everyone

- aloth is being attacked by ranged freeze attacks so he uses corrosive siphon to dmg enemies a bit and heal himself.

- orlan fighter continues to hit shade while holding the line

- eder just tanking

te103b544.jpg

- Status of our companions (bottom right)

- It's GG from here, just continue to focus fire the SHADES ONLY, do not attack shadows.

te115a6b3.jpg

- kana used fine crossbow

- durance used arquebus with that one magran ability that gives him +10 accuracy with it, consecrated ground, armor of faith, blessing, lesser summer flame

- aloth used wand attacks, his two basic spell attacks, chill fog and corrosive siphon

- eder tanked

- orlan fighter killed multiple shadows and one shade

- kana, durance and aloth finished off the other shade with basic focus fire from crossbow, wand and arquebus

te1377935.jpg

Rinse and repeat for other areas

te111.jpg

Tank, Flank, DPS, whatever you need!

fret.jpg

brt34.jpg

I messed up, the two kings ended up on the orlan fighter and kana. Fortunately kana & the orlan fighter were wearing brigandine.  Kana has a backup hatchet & large shield I switched to. I switched the orlan fighter to guan's flail (life leech) and large shield.  With durance's healing they were able  to tank while aloth dished out damage.

w122bcc.jpg

Orlan fighter can still tank if need be.

w2ac8fa.jpg

Here i played the weapon switch game. When the king attacked the orlan fighter I'd switch to flail & shield, when he attacked kana, I'd switch kana to hatchet and large shield.  Keep weapon swapping if need be.  If no one is attacking eder the main tank, then switch eder to a single handed sabre.

w3de9c9.jpg

Fortunately I was able to recover from making a mistake (two kings on kana & orlan fighter).

Edited by luzarius

Raedric's hold frontal assault

I've never gotten this item before, which helps this build a lot.

fraa285a32.jpg

6 guards 2 archers

fraaec065.jpg

Warm welcome!

btr.jpg

b52.jpg

Edited by luzarius

I want to give an update.

This build isn't that great, especially if you want to have a few drinks while you play. 

Out of all the classes I've tried, I definitely like Ranger the best.  If anyone else agrees, I'm going to delete all this info.

This build requires far too much micro management. Sometimes I just want to go on a rampage and kill everything.  The ranger build let me do that.

Edited by luzarius