I'm not at all sure that I'd say that PoE isn't BG/IWD or D&D based.  Oh sure there are differences.  But the similarities are rampant and often blatantly obvious.

Of course.  Honestly it looks like old school D&D (advanced era, not current, the 1990s heyday stuff) changed just enough to avoid paying any royalties or being accused of infringement.    But the ranger is one of the major differences... its not a fighter derived class (D&D ranger had strong health and melee skills) and gets no spells (not that ranger spells ever mattered.... hey I have 179 hit points at level 10 and can now cast cure light wounds once to heal 5 of them..?!).  its obvious as well that chanters are a bard-like concept,  that ciphers are the psionic (and kinda similar to the NWN warlock),  and that xarips are kobolds with a twist,  and the list goes on and on...    But there are so many major differences too -- no dual classing,  combat mechanics (the chance to hit things and crit things are both nuts compared to D&D which was often a long battle of miss, miss miss..)  the idea of health that can't be healed by healers... might on spellcasters....   its different enough that my first 2 characters had to be deleted they were so bad due to the differences.

Well there is also ranger cleric dual class in BG, they get the most spells of any class ingame and can destroy demiliches by just looking at them if the cleric part got to level 32. ;p

Honestly you would expect D&D to have better classes its like 4 decades old! We do use the IE games as comparision and its probably unfair truthfully.

I think Obisidian either should have had opposing talents for each class. That would help individualize them. If they didn't feel like doing that then just a couple extra talents so that any class could have some actives and passives in both melee and ranged. Or just have made all the class specific abilities and talents work in both range and melee.

A lot of the complaints with the Ranger are from people wanting them to be 1st or 2nd line melee fighters. Which is totally justified. Its the opposite problem that Barbarians and Monks have since they cant do ranged at all really. But they are so good at melee no one will complain that they cant have a Ranged Monk or Ranged Barbarian.

You could probably range a fighter since he gets some damage bonus abilities/talents.

I can tell you in BG2 I have dual wielded Minsc, 2 handed him, and strictly ranged him. All about equal. Ranged you could just walk around with insane magical ammo the entire game.

I do think they could have ranged Monks. Given them some kind of special chai/kai ranged focus like abilitiy. Even Barbarians could have had some kind of throwing weapon. Maybe magical throwing spear. Or even a blunderbuss could probably fit a barbarian.

No, because Ranger has always been just about my favorite class in the IE games, and PoE.  But I just don't like the animal companion feature.

And I do.

The question is; Why would your preferences topple mine?

Or why would they generalize the ranger when they went for an unique concept?

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

No, because Ranger has always been just about my favorite class in the IE games, and PoE.  But I just don't like the animal companion feature.

And I do.

The question is; Why would your preferences topple mine?

Or why would they generalize the ranger when they went for an unique concept?

But you overlooked that I haven't suggested getting rid of it.  I've suggested making the AC an option to be elected at creation.  If you want an AC, you select it.  If you don't, then maybe you get to take another class ability. 

Then everybody's happy... unless you're only happy if you derive pleasure from making others unhappy.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if Obisidian just wanted a Pet becasue it fit with their idea of the Party NPC Companion or what the deal was. But I agree if the pet is going to be active all the time why not make it selectable at creation?

This problem probably goes back to Kickstarter extended goals. I rather have 5 classes with a lot of flexibility to play them in completely different ways like kits in D&D then a Dozen Classes with a narrower vision of how to play them.

Honestly think a Ranger fits in this exact problem. But there are even threads on people wanted Ranged Fighters. Barbarians and Monks same problem. So the underlying problem is class flexibility. A lot of people love the Ranger but a lot of people like to play them completely different.

• Like 1