I've been thinking of starting a solo triple crown run with a druid, and I'm looking for suggestions. I haven't used druids much since the beta, and I've only used tank characters in a solo environment, so any input would be useful.

In terms of race, I'm thinking probably Wood Elf, Aumauauauaua, Moonlike ... I dunno. Like I said, any input.

For the attribute spread, max Int/Might and minimum Perception are obvious, but I'm not sure whether to bother with Con and Dex.

I hear Fast Runner or whatever it's called is good for lighter characters in solo play, as well as Deep Pockets. Is that accurate? Aside from that, should I just stick to the elemental damage bonus talents?

And obviously spiritshift trails off pretty quickly, but since it's supposedly good at early levels: what's a reliable shift to start with?

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I think there are 2 possible ways to play a druid solo: melee tank and pure caster. Druid has the best base tanking stats out of casters (apart from chanter which i consider only 50% caster), and better than a rogue or probably even barb since extra deflection > health. He also has nice self heals.

For pure caster approach wood elf/moon are pretty obvious. I'd say moon is less valuable for druids since they have decent healing spells, but it's good it any case. For stats Int, Might, Dex in that order, Con/Per - dump as usual.

For tank you still need Int and Might but I would dump Dex and transfer it into Res/Per/Con. Con is still pretty bad as a stat but fortitude is pretty important. Good tank races as usual are Pale elf/Moonlike/Wild orlan/Aumaua. Pale elf druid will have the least problems with shades, wild orlan is good for dragon/vithrack fights and moon is just good all around. Aumaua is probably the weakest option, but still decent. You can also still go wood elf since you're going to be at range anyway some times.

Fast runner is a must have for ranged and still a consideration for melee. Deep pockets is awesome for anyone solo, probably the best talent you can pick for harder fights.

Some thoughts on druid spellbook: Druids have straight up nukes, DoTs, lasting damaging effects like returning strom, summons, heals and some buffs, mostly defensive ones, and some debuffs/CC, often mixed up with damage. Straight up nukes are only good for caster as you want to spam them fast. Tank variant can still use one as an opener. DoTs and lasting effects naturally synergize with tank approach since you cast them once and they deal significant damage over time (while you can tank).

Main weak points of the druid are cast speed (use aclaricity potions for hard battles - deep pockets!) and accuracy (no inherent way to boost it unlike all other casters).

The most potent spells from my experience are returning/relentless storm and earth talon (petrify vs reflex!). It is possible to stunlock enemies indefinitely with storm spells and int > 20. You want accuracy boosts though (when it lands it gives -30 reflex so subsequent hits are MUCH easier, but you need to at least consistently graze first). Reflex being the weak save of many tough mobs helps.

For what it's worth I was able to solo the Adra Dragon using a test druid permanently stunlocking her with storm :D.

Best shape is probably Cat as it has the highest DPS. Some arguments can be made for Bear, as it has more DT. Wolf is an option for a ranged caster because it gives you move speed so you can run away (shift is instant). It might be even able to replace fast runner (haven't tested). Forms go out of fashion as an offensive form pretty fast, but are quite decent at the start of the game.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 1

Be hardcore, go for Nature Godlike ;) Its not gonna break you or make you as you will pick you fights wisely anyway.

Druid can tank, have decent deflection and DR, but has so good spells that its sin not to use them.  Doing it without figurines is beyond hardcore and Druid has means to buff and heal summons.  Casting tank.

---

edit: wolf for knockdowns

Edited by knownastherat

Soloing is all about that kiting and bugging up the AI and splitting large groups into small groups.  Even monks do it.

What I don't get is how you do the early levels before storms? That Dex is going to be absolutely crucial to get all your AoE over time spells onto the ground, before the mobs come crush you. And definitely light armour. 

So Tanglefoot (to debuff reflex), then spam Autumn's Decay?  And throw in storms when you get storms.

How to deal with enemy debuffs? 

Also please IEMod, then at the console input, type: "Rest", between fights as needed. Preserve your sanity.

Edited by Kanasuke

Wiz/Priest do not need splitting and bugging the AI :p. You don't need to do any really hard fights before stroms apart from Caed Nua Hall, which you do exactly in the same way as any class apart from Wizard, Priest or Chanter. You deal with enemy debuffs by stunlocking and kiting them so they can't debuff you. Basically like any class that has normal saves and no Arcane Reflection. Which is again you only start doing after you get the storms. Druid has pretty solid tanking stats (with 1.05 other casters are not far off and cipher is the same though). Parking in a corner where only one mob can hit you at a time, casting your heal over time to keep yourself alive and them spamming your DoTs works remarkably well for early levels. You can also shapeshift for 8 DR an 0% recovery if needed (not worth it once you get decent items though).

I managed to get the stronghold with a solo druid in path of damned. I made it an elf (for accuracy), took +ice_damage talent at lv2, and I would sneak to find enemies, cast tangle foot from max range, then unload winter winds. And then go to the inn to recharge. I think I had to use the inn 25-30 times with this strategy to get the stronghold but only very few consumables.

It was so incredibly boring and tedious that I gave up on that game. Not recommended at all.

I managed to get the stronghold with a solo druid in path of damned. I made it an elf (for accuracy), took +ice_damage talent at lv2, and I would sneak to find enemies, cast tangle foot from max range, then unload winter winds. And then go to the inn to recharge. I think I had to use the inn 25-30 times with this strategy to get the stronghold but only very few consumables.

It was so incredibly boring and tedious that I gave up on that game. Not recommended at all.

That sounds incredibly boring, yes. The druid is capable of being sufficiently combat-ready to go toe to toe with many of the weaker enemies at any given time. Especially with bear form early on, perhaps high resolve and the various healing options, it doesn't have to go to such extreme lengths to avoid close combat. 

My only solo druid died in Act 2 and I haven't tried since, but in general, as MadDemiurg says, no class needs to get into really hard battles - you can finish Act 1 with the Main Hall of Caed Nua the only really difficult fight (and even then you have a perfect corner to snuggle in), and end up Level 4 or 5.