Hello! I apologize for the sudden spike of Priest threads, but I have so many questions and it's killing me!

I'm building a min/max Priestess to maximize her capabilities, but I'm a little troubled. 

What attributes can I drop? I obviously need Might and Intelligence, but I was thinking of dropping Con to 3 and adding some points into Dexterity to speed up casting time, plus dropping Perception as low as possible and put the rest in Resolve.  Or do I have all of this wrong? 

This is a little difficult or I'm thinking about this a little too much.. Do I need Resolve, Dexterity and Perception? Can I afford to drop Con to 3? Aaagh.

Edited by Priestess

You're on the right track as far as attributes go. Might, Dex, and Int should all be high. Con can be safely dumped since it doesn't have a huge impact on your Endurance. Resolve is more important than Perception, but you might not want to dump Per completely so that you have decent a decent Reflex defense.

• Like 1

You're on the right track as far as attributes go. Might, Dex, and Int should all be high. Con can be safely dumped since it doesn't have a huge impact on your Endurance. Resolve is more important than Perception, but you might not want to dump Per completely so that you have decent a decent Reflex defense.

I see. I see! Thank you.  Should I drop Perception to 8 or keep it at 10?

Then what do you need might for? The best buffs are unaffected by might. Only the damage and heal spells (i think?) are.

If you don't go melee drop Con and Per.

I need Might so I can heal better. Every Priest build encourages Might.

I see. I see! Thank you.  Should I drop Perception to 8 or keep it at 10?

You'll probably need to drop Perception to 8 if you want to max out Might, Dexterity, and Intellect. That's what I would do, at least.

Depends if your Priest will be a ranged cannon or a melee fighter. If priest is ranged you can dump a lot more. Plus you will be in robes or clothes so speed will be fast.

If you are going front line warrior priest you might not want to min/max. I like

Mig - 14

Con - 10

Dex - 17

Per - 10

Int - 17

Res - 10

Give him a +3 might item. +2 dex item and a +2 int item or enchantment. Heaviest Armor and shield until you get the all class herald shield from adra dragon. Focus on defense talents for the most part. If you pick Skaen Priest he can still do some melee damage. +10 acc to clubs and stilettos. And clubs get +5 naturally. There is superb club in game +12. Plus weapon focus ruffian +5. Throw him a +10 deflection item as well. If you don't care about melee damage forget those talents and just use a hatchet for +5 deflection. Doesn't really need Per and Res if you are going shield. But if dont want melee offense you can dump might and max Per and Res. So you have a couple options even for melee priest warriors.

Since he is on the front line he can heal and buff your melee characters a little easier. Debuff and disable the enemy as well. Plus tie up 2 enemies with hold the line. I really like the priests trap and pillars spells. I try to focus on disabling rather then buff/debuffing.

While it is true that Might increases healing, the effect is less pronounced then the effect might has on damage.

Consider 10 damage hit with 15might (15% increase) vs DR 8 compared to 10 might (0% increase). 10*1.15=11.5-8=3.5 damage inflicted compared to 10-8=2 damage inflicted - a whooping 57% increase in actual damage.

Healing doesn't have to beat flat DR reductions like damage does, so a 15% increase is a 15% increase, which is... well... meager.

If you are building your priest as a melee support fighter then he'll probably wear heavier armor and his damage output will be terrible. Perception and Constitution on the other hand will increase his staying power.

If you plan to sit with him on the back lines then yes - Might is obviously better since he doesn't need the added survivability.

Give him a +3 might item. +2 dex item and a +2 int item or enchantment. Heaviest Armor and shield until you get the all class herald shield from adra dragon.

It always cracks me up when I see people state stuff like "till you get the gear off the most powerful creature in the game". ;)

• Like 1

Give him a +3 might item. +2 dex item and a +2 int item or enchantment. Heaviest Armor and shield until you get the all class herald shield from adra dragon.

It always cracks me up when I see people state stuff like "till you get the gear off the most powerful creature in the game". ;)

Well there are plenty of +2 items extremely earlier. We are talking beginning Act 2 as soon as you get to DBay. You can purchase Might +2 items, extremely easy. And you can easily bull rush Act 2 and then back track to do all of the Act 1 side quests.

Plus DBay has plenty of Dex Items +2 and +3 and +2 Int items. Plus the shawl from the light +3 perception.

So you are getting "Gear" way earlier. Ok the +3 might ring is kind of late but +2 not a problem

Well there are plenty of +2 items extremely earlier. We are talking beginning Act 2 as soon as you get to DBay. You can purchase Might +2 items, extremely easy. And you can easily bull rush Act 2 and then back track to do all of the Act 1 side quests.

Plus DBay has plenty of Dex Items +2 and +3 and +2 Int items. Plus the shawl from the light +3 perception.

So you are getting "Gear" way earlier. Ok the +3 might ring is kind of late but +2 not a problem

I was talking about the Herald Shield btw. With games like this, this always put really awesome gear right after it you no longer need it. Early accessed gear with stats ahead of the curve on the other hand are certainly worth building around.

Edited by DracoSpirit86

Hello! I apologize for the sudden spike of Priest threads, but I have so many questions and it's killing me!

I'm building a min/max Priestess to maximize her capabilities, but I'm a little troubled. 

What attributes can I drop? I obviously need Might and Intelligence, but I was thinking of dropping Con to 3 and adding some points into Dexterity to speed up casting time, plus dropping Perception as low as possible and put the rest in Resolve.  Or do I have all of this wrong? 

This is a little difficult or I'm thinking about this a little too much.. Do I need Resolve, Dexterity and Perception? Can I afford to drop Con to 3? Aaagh.

your question reveals a pervasive poe misconception.  the attributes, while a significant factor in character development, is relatively less important than your talent choices.  a perfectly viable and powerful priest is possible with less than optimal attributes scores.  am reluctant to say the same about ability and talent choices. regardless o' attribute choices, you will be able to make an effective priest if you pick appropriate talents and abilities.    

our potd priest o' wael, who ended up second only to grieving mother in our final damage calculations, had the following attributes: m 10, c 10, d 10, p 16, i 16, r 16.  too many people assume that attributes is vital in poe because attributes is so vital in other crpgs.  poe attributes IS important, but is not near as determinative o' success as many folks would have you believe.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we get that you specific ask about min/max, but even so, the attributes should not be a limit or focus o' your character building plans.  

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)