Damage numbers tell nothing.

Ferrante

Question

Finally, I ended reporting this as an error. The damage numbers for the weapons mean nothing. Why? because you dont know they frequency of the attack. In example, you have a "fast" weapon with 10-15 damage and a slow weapon with 20-30 damage. Which one is better? Due I dont have any clue, I just stick with fast or very fast weapons, assuming: Normal: 100% speed, fast: 400%, very fast: 800%. slow: 25%, very slow: 12.5%. So the damage dealt by my weapons would be (10-15) x 4 x T (T is time), and (20-30)x0.25 x T. 

Yeah, I realize that would make every slow and very slow weapon useless, but those numbers are as good as any, because we dont have idea of how fast is a fast or how slow is slow. The final speed number is modified by armor, dex and weapon (or spell), so in the end, we have no idea how fast we are. This could be simply fixed with a Speed number placed just like the damage numbers (one for each weapon slot). In this way, damage values for weapons would mean something. 

Why is this an error? because the whole game lose sense without this.

1. Spells have their damage per second very specified and you cant compare them vs your weapons.

2. You cant know if a weapon is better than other with different speed (like in my example), losing every meaning for loot, and sense of progress. 

3. Damage values in weapons are useless without the frequency of the attacks.

In fact, every combat value is useless, by example you cant know if 400 endurance is a lot or not. (It would be a lot if the damage listed in the weapon is made every 20 seconds, it could be small if your damage is dealt every 0.1 second). Your spells can suck if they are under your weapon damage per second, or can be great if they double the weapons. 

I have searched in the in-game cyclopedia, the manual and the official wiki of the game and I find nothing about this, but even with the right percentages for "Fast"  or "slow", we should make a lot of maths to know the final values of speed. If it is calculated for every character and any moment, we could have it in the character information and that will help us to take REAL STRATEGIC decisions. By now, we just have sticks of different colors to attack our enemies. 

Edited by Ferrante

13 answers to this question

Finally, I ended reporting this as an error. The damage numbers for the weapons mean nothing. Why? because you dont know they frequency of the attack. In example, you have a "fast" weapon with 10-15 damage and a slow weapon with 20-30 damage. Which one is better?

It depends on the situation; specifically on:

• The enemy's damage reduction.
  • Your character's interrupt potential, and how highly you value that compared to raw damage output.
  • Whether you can inflict additional effects per hit (e.g. Cipher focus generation) or per crit (e.g. stunning weapons), and how highly you value that compared to raw damage output.

So even if you did know the exact numbers for the attack speeds, you couldn't simply go and multiply it with the damage numbers to identify a single weapon that's objectively "best".

And that's intentional.

This game is supposed to be an RPG, not a math quiz.

Just try out different weapons; you'll get a feeling for their relative effectiveness for your particular character build and play style.

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 2

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Exactly, that's why they should show the speed. They show us the calculated damage, they show us the calculated endurance, they show us the calculated AoE of spells... If you must take decisions based in your guts, they could just remove all of this information too. 

You really didn't search very well...

There is an entire thread about this mechanics : http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72272-combat-mechanics-attack-speed-recovery/

And here is a graphic made by Josh Sawyer to explain how attack speed work : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzc2Dec83wSnY2F4WjgzaHhXVnM/view

Well, I said I searched in the manual and in-game, but thank you for the graph. Anyway, like Ineth said, it is not a math quiz, so it would be really nice we can see the speed for each slot weapon just like the damage, so we can really be strategic in the battles. 

The spell descriptions are equally incomplete ...

The whole game is stupidly obtuse, while pretending to shower you with information ... I shouldn't need to endlessly experiment or dig through these bloody forums to find out how the DPS breaks down for which weapons, how grazes/crits/endurance affects certain spells (ie. death spells).

It's ****ing annoying.

Edited by LeonKowalski

Exactly, that's why they should show the speed. They show us the calculated damage, they show us the calculated endurance, they show us the calculated AoE of spells... If you must take decisions based in your guts, they could just remove all of this information too.

Don't give them any ideas. Much of the system has been made obtuse deliberately, because you're supposed to be able to play it blind, without paying attention to the ongoings of the mechanics. We should be so lucky we get even that information.

You really didn't search very well...

There is an entire thread about this mechanics : http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72272-combat-mechanics-attack-speed-recovery/

And here is a graphic made by Josh Sawyer to explain how attack speed work : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzc2Dec83wSnY2F4WjgzaHhXVnM/view

That graphic is outdated as all hell, though.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I love the game, really. I just ended my first gameplay after 190 hours. But I'm surprised why nobody ask how damage is dealt by their weapons. Even more surprised how the players defend the lack of feedback in the U.I. We have a lot of information but it means really nothing. That's a big step back from Baldur's Gate. Yeah, the graphic is outdated, and I had to make a post in the forum to have it and still need to check it (if I find one updated graph) and do more maths every time.  Why??? and why does the community defend this absurd position?? is the people that dumb to does not realize every number in the game is useless without an attack speed value? I think it is the last one, so I'm trying to inform the players this is happening. The sad part is, even with a post like this, people is not smart enough to understand. =(

Another question: Why did  the beta backers never say anything about it?

Edit: A lot of English mistakes. I'm not a native, so forgive me. 

Edited by Ferrante