Suggestion: Scroll accuracy should scale with Lore.

I've come to a conclusion that Lore is a bit OP atm, and even investing only a couple of points can give you access to powerful spells which you can cast at your max accuracy.

I think scroll accuracy should scale off lore level rather than character level (e.g. it would be the same as currently at level 12 at 12 lore), as it currently happens with mechanics.

Discuss.

• Like 1

Aside from dialogue options, this is what Lore is for. It is also good that Lore is one of the skills that is worth putting points into for most characters in your party.

For me it's fine as it is.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Just an idea...

What if Accuracy was exclusively used versus Deflection, and there was a separate character trait which worked like Accuracy against Fortitude, Reflex and Will?

I can't think of a good name for this hypothetical Accuracy-esque trait, so I'm going to call it Accuracy 2: The Wrath of Khan. Or Khan for short. Probably a horrible name if you actually speak it, will get confused with Constitution. Maybe should have gone with Wok. But that's a cooking implement. Khan it is.

So a wizard might have 20 Accuracy, 35 Khan - pretty good with them spells. But a Rogue might have 30 Accuracy and 25 Khan - not as good with the spells. This would make the Wizards better with the scrolls if they decide to use them.

But really, I wouldn't want to nerf Rogue scroll use that much. Fighters, Barbarians, maybe. But Use Magic Device homages are awesome.

Or maybe Use Magic Device didn't make much sense as a Rogue exclusive in d&d, and using Lore makes more sense.

Or maybe not that either because I really, really hate the skill system. The whole thing. I'd like to see it removed from the game. In which case... Khan!

In conclusion, I don't know.

Edited by scrotiemcb

Again, the point is not making lore weaker, but rather removing high reward for a very minimal investment. If you put enough points into lore it would be just as strong. That's in line with how other skills work (you need a sizeable investment for good results). Right now even 2 points in lore is very strong.

@Svirvenblin, scrotlecmb

I think separating spell and weapon accuracy would be a good move for the system - this way cipher can have higher weapon and lower spell accuracy compared to wizard for instance (rather than having both higher atm). As for using this accuracy for scrolls - I don't think this is a good idea, since all classes should be equally rewarded by investing in the skill. So smth like 20 base (as most scrolls already have + accuracy on top) + 3 * lore + other modifiers for everyone would work fine imo.

This would *break* lore to make it the most useful skill ever. Not even kidding. Think about it. Scroll of charm that crits all the time. 

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

It would have same accuracy as level 12 char @ 12 lore. 12 in a skill is not that easy to get (12 in mechanics makes you pour most of your levelup points into it).  I do see a potential problem with low level chars however, where you can have much higher lore than your character level. Maybe base accuracy should be also a bit lower for scrolls.

It would generally compromise the viability of using scrolls unless Lore is maxed. I do think that a high number in any skill should be rewarded, but I have reservations about the loss of combat utility for players who want to spread their skill points more evenly.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

It would generally compromise the viability of using scrolls unless Lore is maxed. I do think that a high number in any skill should be rewarded, but I have reservations about the loss of combat utility for players who want to spread their skill points more evenly.

Well, medium lore score would mean ~15 accuracy loss over maxed out, plus all buff scrolls would work exactly the same. This would only matter against tougher enemies, which I think is fair.

I don't agree. To access lvl 6 scrolls you need to get Lore to lvl 12 and that leaves very little points for anything else.

There are only 5 scroll levels in the game though :). And even 1st level scrolls are pretty powerful, although it might be more of low level vs high level scroll/spell balance issue.

I think separating spell and weapon accuracy would be a good move for the system

You know that this is already how it works, right?

Spells are not affected by weapon accuracy. Instead, only the character level affects accuracy. Only very few talents and abilities can raise spell accuracy (like the level 1 mage spell or the elven racial).