Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ranger solo vs Adra DRagon (PotD)

Ranger Solo Adra Dragon Path of the Damned PotD Wood Elf

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Voltron

Voltron

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 565 posts

This can't be. "Everyone knows rangers suck".

Because they do in solo game. In party game every calss can do.

But as Kaylon himself wrote above- rangers has good single target damage, but solo game is about AOE nuking/AOE CC, Tanking and healing or tanking and DPS (AOE if possible). Rangers suck becasue they have single target skills.

If Rooting was AOE CC then ranger would be quite good. And if his pets were scaling better, because for example Bear can tank some mobs, ok. But put him against CC enemies like Shades, Crystal Spiders or Vithracks and suddenly it is only you and enemies and then ranger suck.

Wish Ranger had more skills to build his pets to be super tanks/DPS like Beast Master in World of Warcraft. And if pet choices were better- like drake, big spider etc. If Pets Deflection and, most important, resistance against CC- petrify, domination nad charm were much better- then you could relay on your pet as tank or CC monster and build ranger for pure DPS. Right now pets are more annoyance for me in PotD since they suck as tank, suck against CC and their DPS suck, and if they die- ranger get penalties.

My buddy was playing ranger in party in PotD- he was doing great Damage and killing really fast enemy wizards/priests, but solo- no chances, especially in Endless Paths.

He is beast on bosses- Blunderbuss DOT stack plus Envenomed Striket DOT stack (both per pellet) and it deals insane damage. But after that- reloaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad......

I see your point.

To tell the truth, I think this game has abundance of AoE effects. Ranger's Binding Roots is one of very few (good) single target skills. The thing is, there are very few strong monsters in the game. I mean, Adra Animat is not much stronger than regular Animat. You don't fight something like 2 Battle Horrors in Baldur's Gate. I would enjoy encounters which have an occasional big baddie among them. Alas, PoE's pathfinding is not up to the task :(

The difference isn't big, but Boar is noticably tankier than other animals. High Constitution, 15 resolve (!!), 5 Int. The best mental stats among all animal companions. But still, at level 12 animals have 60 Accuracy and 60 Deflection.

I agree with you. This game focus too much on huge numbers of enemy packs, which of course favour AOE abilities and AOE CC and also CC resistance mechanic is imo bad plus there is too much CC from enemies in game, especially in melee and damage is too low. So in PoE you do not feel spells like Fire Ball, Finger of Death or Poison Could. Nor you do not fear backstab enemy assassins or two handed tanks.

You fear being overwhelm by numbers or being perma CC-ed, only watching as your char dies with costant Paralyzed/Petrify/Stun (10 second)...(10 second....)....(10 second)....

I like this game but still prefer D&D system in many ways, like defensive rolls and damage value.

Edited by Voltron, 28 April 2015 - 03:03 PM.

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Tried a priest, don't have time for a vid yet, but pretty easy overall. Tactic is as follows (any char can use it, but priest has several advantages):

• Loadout: 10 x malestrom scrolls, 5 x paralysis scrolls 5 x valor scrolls (not needed, but since 1 takes a slot too might as well have 5), obsidian figurine, slot 6 is entirely optional, maybe another figurine just in case. Boots of speed are essential, rest of the gear doesn't matter much. Rotfinger gloves or gloves of accuracy might help.
  • Run into the treasury. Everyone will aggro. (Eliminating adragans first as Kaylon did is probably a wiser move but we won't be doing it)
  • Eliminate the xaurips. It is possible to do with priest spells, but would be faster with scrolls.
  • Cast scroll of paralysis on Xaurips (they have low will so its a guaranteed hit).
  • Cast 2xmalestrom scrolls on xaurips. Since they're paralyzed their reflex is abysmally low. They should be dead or almost dead. Finish off any that remain.
  • Run deeper into the cave. Buff with crowns for the faithful, prayer against fear, champion's boon and devotions of the faithful. Finish with scroll of valor (lower duration).
  • As the dragon approaches you need to stop her somehow. There are several options: 1) scroll of paralysis 2) halt spell (> 20 sec duration, since buffed up you have 30+ int) 3) summon with withdraw. 4) trap the path with repulsive seal
  • When dragon is disabled proceed to pummel with scrolls of malestrom and/or priest spells. Your spell damage is very high under champion's boon. Adragans should still be way back, but if they appear use scroll of paralysis. If dragon somehow breaks the CC just back up and recast.
  • When dragon is dead proceed to finish off remaining adragans protected with prayer against treachery/imprisonment. Rebuff other stuff if needed. Good combo for cleanup is shades + sparks of the righteous (heavy lightning damage and interrupt under champion's boon)

Think more or less similar tactic can be used with many classes, but priest has several advantages:

• High accuracy with devotions of the faithful. The only classes that can compete are cipher, ranger and paladin
  • No need to use potions of recovery and/or scrolls of prayer against fear since you can cast it yourself - one extra quick slot
  • Very high spell/scroll damage with champion's boon - no contest for scrolls, spells like shining beacon  or electric seal also hit like truck
  • High CC duration with crowns for the faithful - no one can get Int as high as a priest
  • Multiple options for path blocking/CC - only one is really needed but options are nice. Seals are pretty much impossible to resist once you buff up.
  • Can make himself almost immune to adragan CC if needed and overall buffed saves are pretty insane.

I might record a vid if I feel like it on the weekend, will post it in some other thread though.

Edited by MadDemiurg, 28 April 2015 - 04:10 PM.

• Raven Darkholme likes this

dreamrider

dreamrider

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 147 posts

Kaylon,

After copping out on the murder, thereby acquiring Scale Breaker AND pissing off the AD, how did you get past the AD and the adragans to the alcove that was your start point for the attack.  I agree that it is an excellent jump off point to clear out the backstabbers, but I have never been able to get over to it after the hostility of the dragon and his helpers was triggered.

Further, how did you get the 2nd adragan to leave you alone while you finished the first, not to mention the AD itself?  Is that just a Ranger thing where they did not react to the first attack because it was just an animal companion?  Because when I try to attack just one end of the adragan line, the others all react right away, as does the dragon albeit more slowly.

Finally why was the dragon apparently not reacting to you the first time or two you ran past it?  Was it because you were approaching it from behind?

What was your Item load-out for this?  Its a little hard to read, although several items/scrolls can be inferred from the action.

vr

dreamrider

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1279 posts

Kaylon,

After copping out on the murder, thereby acquiring Scale Breaker AND pissing off the AD, how did you get past the AD and the adragans to the alcove that was your start point for the attack.  I agree that it is an excellent jump off point to clear out the backstabbers, but I have never been able to get over to it after the hostility of the dragon and his helpers was triggered.

Further, how did you get the 2nd adragan to leave you alone while you finished the first, not to mention the AD itself?  Is that just a Ranger thing where they did not react to the first attack because it was just an animal companion?  Because when I try to attack just one end of the adragan line, the others all react right away, as does the dragon albeit more slowly.

Finally why was the dragon apparently not reacting to you the first time or two you ran past it?  Was it because you were approaching it from behind?

What was your Item load-out for this?  Its a little hard to read, although several items/scrolls can be inferred from the action.

vr

dreamrider

It was one of my first attempts to solo the AD in the early versions of the game and thus I tried to make it as easy as possible. When I recorded the fight (maybe it was patched in the next versions) It was possible to kill one of the adragans without making the dragon/adragans hostile to you - I don't know if it's still possible. If you tried to position yourself as I did and attack the same adragan as I did and it didn't work, then it was patched. However that step isn't needed, you just have to fight all the adragans first - use maelstrom scrolls if you can't kill them fast enough (use that instead the scrolls of nature's mark which are useless in my video)

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Basically, Maelstrom is beastly. If you're having trouble with the AD, that means you're just not using enough Maelstrom.

dreamrider

dreamrider

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 147 posts

Kaylon,

vr

dreamrider

It was one of my first attempts to solo the AD in the early versions of the game and thus I tried to make it as easy as possible. When I recorded the fight (maybe it was patched in the next versions) It was possible to kill one of the adragans without making the dragon/adragans hostile to you - I don't know if it's still possible. If you tried to position yourself as I did and attack the same adragan as I did and it didn't work, then it was patched. However that step isn't needed, you just have to fight all the adragans first - use maelstrom scrolls if you can't kill them fast enough (use that instead the scrolls of nature's mark which are useless in my video)

My experience attempting something like this with a solo L12 monk in v1.06 is that if you have warned off the dragon hunter at Black Meadow, and consequently received the Scale Breaker talent?/ability?, when you return to the depths of Od Nua the AD is immediately hostile if s/he sees you, as are the adragans.  With all of them hostile, it is possible for a fast character to run or sneak past the dragon and get near the adragan positions, but with 4 of them, all hostile on sight, it is not possible to reach that alcove at the north of the cavern before they intercept (and mob, petrify, etc) you.  All adragans react to an attack on any adragan, even if it is a ranged attack from the angle most distant from the other 3 addies.

The adragans do not seem to react to an attack on the xaurips, if it is far enough away from them.  The AD may activate, and s/he definitely will chase/enter the fray if the fight with the xaurips goes up toward the treasure room, as will the adragans.  However, if you lure the xaurips to the extreme southwest corner of the cave, skirting the cliff edge to avoid coming into dragon-view, neither the AD nor the adragans seems to join in the fight with the xaurips.  (However, it may just be that my running fights with the xaurips down to the southwest corner went fast enough that the dragon never got there.)

Then you can assault one end of the adragan line by sliding up along the side of the statues foot on the east of the main cavern.  The addies and the dragon will come after you, but if you are fast, with powerful shooting, you can string the addies out up toward the treasure room and take them out one by one as they catch up.

The problem with all that is that there is no way to pre-position a paralyzing trap to later freeze the approaching dragon in the treasure room tunnel, since before you begin the attack the xaurips are in the mouth of that tunnel.  There are ways around that, of course, paralyzing scrolls being the most obvious, but the monk I was testing this with was not built with enough lore to use scrolls higher than level 2.

At this point, I'm not sure that THIS monk can successfully solo the AD, for lack of any feasible way to immobilize the dragon for a few seconds of heavy pounding, and lack of ability to use high damage scrolls.  But I am still experimenting.

I am getting pretty good at killing off all the xaurips and adragans beforehand, however. {grin}

Nobear

Nobear

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 616 posts

I can finally look at AD kill videos as I've just defeated it for the first time! It was on PoTD with a full party of companions, no food, only a weak stronghold resting bonus, and fighting everything at once aggroing the dragon first. I also didn't try to perma-CC the dragon, and none of my characters have the 12-yard range of a bow either. I found it to be a satisfying challenge for me, taking a few attempts (and a few tank resurrections) before I prevailed. So now I can join in on the AD discussions...

My experience attempting something like this with a solo L12 monk in v1.06 is that if you have warned off the dragon hunter at Black Meadow, and consequently received the Scale Breaker talent?/ability?, when you return to the depths of Od Nua the AD is immediately hostile if s/he sees you, as are the adragans.

Good discussion in general, but I wanted to emphasize this point, which was my experience as well. Kaylon mentioned he used the console, but I don't know if his experience was partly due to that, or if these mechanics were the norm in an earlier version and got fixed at some point. I will give him credit for cleverness in learning (possibly discovering) and using exploits that may no longer be possible, but the whole point was to make the fight itself trivial, and I would have considered this a cheesy way to do that even if/when it was possible without console commands.

One thing that caught my eye is that his superb clothing would have required a scale from the dragon he was fighting to enchant legitimately. Another thing I noticed is that he had two active effects listed on his character sheet with generic names that gave the bonuses you might expect from a shield with the Herald property. I don't know what that's all about.

To be fair, I am probably coming into this discussion too late, where it may have at one time been relevant as a way (which no longer seems to work) to trivialize an encounter that would otherwise be very challenging, if possible at all, for a ranger to solo.

tnb234

tnb234

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I wonder if it's still possible to defeat the AD in PotD solo with the current patch.

That would be an extraordinary accomplishment!

• Nobear likes this

Nobear

Nobear

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 616 posts

Yeah, especially if you had to fight all the adds at once, I can't think of a class that could make short work of this. Dreamrider has some good ideas, but it'd still be a hell of a fight for any class, if even humanly possible lol.

• tnb234 likes this

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2004 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV
Most people who soloed her, fought all the adds at once.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1279 posts

I wonder if it's still possible to defeat the AD in PotD solo with the current patch.

I just tested with the latest patch and it works exactly the same. As long as he's out of the sight of the others you can kill the adragan at the top without making anyone hostile, however a xaurip will come to attack you (killing him out of sight of the rest will keep everyone neutral also). Since attacking anyone there will put you in combat until everyone is dead you can use your scrolls/summoning items before starting the next fight.

alexis13

alexis13

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts

I just tested with the latest patch and it works exactly the same. As long as he's out of the sight of the others you can kill the adragan at the top without making anyone hostile, however a xaurip will come to attack you (killing him out of sight of the rest will keep everyone neutral also). Since attacking anyone there will put you in combat until everyone is dead you can use your scrolls/summoning items before starting the next fight.

She's a woman.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2004 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

She's a woman.
It's an imaginary beast, who cares about the gender?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ranger, Solo, Adra Dragon, Path of the Damned, PotD, Wood Elf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users