For people interested how to defeat the Adra Dragon with a ranger solo here's a little video.

https://youtu.be/ewxtIFixUb8

In the video I forgot to show my accuracy vs dragon defenses in the logs. My max accuracy was 126 with bow while the dragon's lowest deflection was 96. I had 100 accuracy when I used Binding Roots and the dragon had 100 reflex. With Scale Breaker and the debuff from Lenas Er the dragon had 119 fortitude.

• Like 3

Nicely done. Looks like you somehow managed to bug out the fight so that adra and minions don't all aggro at the same time.  Still pretty impressive though, didn't think it was possible in this manner. I think a number of classes can try a similar tactic with disables and keeping @ range.

Edited by MadDemiurg

Trying to charm  that kobold champ on min health .. ;) The rest is good job/execution.

Well, that was done on purpose to be able to finish him fast once the charm was gone. My big error was to not summon the scarab as soon as my shades were killed and I lost some endurance in the process, when trying to charm.  ;)

Nicely done. Looks like you somehow managed to bug out the fight so that adra and minions don't all aggro at the same time.  Still pretty impressive though, didn't think it was possible in this manner. I think a number of classes can try a similar tactic with disables and keeping @ range.

I don't think it's possible to do it with other classes because their disabling spells are too short. However any party with a ranger can make the encounter trivial. Maybe a priest can use withdraw on a summon to block dragon's advancement long enough.

Edited by Kaylon

Trying to charm  that kobold champ on min health .. ;) The rest is good job/execution.

Well, that was done on purpose to be able to finish him fast once the charm was gone. My big error was to not summon the scarab as soon as my shades were killed and I lost some endurance in the process, when trying to charm.  ;)

I don't think it's possible to do it with other classes because their disabling spells are too short. However any party with a ranger can make the encounter trivial. Maybe a priest can use withdraw on a summon to block dragon's advancement long enough.

You didn't even use the whole duration of 1 roots though and CC can be reapplied multiple times if needed. Realistically 2 15 second CCs should do the trick.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 1

Awesome! I was thinking of trying a ranger for my next play through. What are your thoughts on it?

I really don't know if it's possible to finish the game solo in PotD with a ranger. The ranger has good single target damage, but the game is mostly about dealing with multiple targets. You need a lot of pull and run using your pet in order to kill enemies one by one at the beginning. For close encounters you need summons/scrolls/traps however I don't know if it will be always enough.

This can't be. "Everyone knows rangers suck".

Because they do in solo game. In party game every calss can do.

But as Kaylon himself wrote above- rangers has good single target damage, but solo game is about AOE nuking/AOE CC, Tanking and healing or tanking and DPS (AOE if possible). Rangers suck becasue they have single target skills.

If Rooting was AOE CC then ranger would be quite good. And if his pets were scaling better, because for example Bear can tank some mobs, ok. But put him against CC enemies like Shades, Crystal Spiders or Vithracks and suddenly it is only you and enemies and then ranger suck.

Wish Ranger had more skills to build his pets to be super tanks/DPS like Beast Master in World of Warcraft. And if pet choices were better- like drake, big spider etc. If Pets Deflection and, most important, resistance against CC- petrify, domination nad charm were much better- then you could relay on your pet as tank or CC monster and build ranger for pure DPS. Right now pets are more annoyance for me in PotD since they suck as tank, suck against CC and their DPS suck, and if they die- ranger get penalties.

My buddy was playing ranger in party in PotD- he was doing great Damage and killing really fast enemy wizards/priests, but solo- no chances, especially in Endless Paths.

He is beast on bosses- Blunderbuss DOT stack plus Envenomed Striket DOT stack (both per pellet) and it deals insane damage. But after that- reloaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad......

Edited by Voltron

He is beast on bosses- Blunderbuss DOT stack plus Envenomed Striket DOT stack (both per pellet) and it deals insane damage. 

Envenomed strike doesn't do DOT per pellet - works like deep wounds - it overrides itself ..  Wounding shot (& enduring flames - paladin) will give you 6 parallel DOTs .. 

WPNTVf7.jpg

But as Kaylon himself wrote above- rangers has good single target damage, but solo game is about AOE nuking/AOE CC, Tanking and healing or tanking and DPS (AOE if possible). Rangers suck becasue they have single target skills.

If Rooting was AOE CC then ranger would be quite good. And if his pets were scaling better, because for example Bear can tank some mobs, ok. But put him against CC enemies like Shades, Crystal Spiders or Vithracks and suddenly it is only you and enemies and then ranger suck.

Wish Ranger had more skills to build his pets to be super tanks/DPS like Beast Master in World of Warcraft. And if pet choices were better- like drake, big spider etc. If Pets Deflection and, most important, resistance against CC- petrify, domination nad charm were much better- then you could relay on your pet as tank or CC monster and build ranger for pure DPS. Right now pets are more annoyance for me in PotD since they suck as tank, suck against CC and their DPS suck, and if they die- ranger get penalties.

My buddy was playing ranger in party in PotD- he was doing great Damage and killing really fast enemy wizards/priests, but solo- no chances, especially in Endless Paths.

He is beast on bosses- Blunderbuss DOT stack plus Envenomed Striket DOT stack (both per pellet) and it deals insane damage. But after that- reloaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad......

Envenomed strike does not stack (tested by many people included peddroelm, who did this quite rigorously), Arguments whether class sucks or is good based on solo performance are quite moot since the game is balanced for party play. I must admit I was on the "rangers suck" bandwagon, but after actually using one I'd say that their performance is comparable to that of a ranged rogue, at least until level 11 (dps is a bit lower, but they get extra utility and extra tanking body, which is not THAT bad). I still think they can use some improvements.

Btw this thread has inspired me to try some new tactics vs Adra. So far managed to beat him with a cipher using mental binding permalockdown with nigh infinite focus generation abusetrick. Will also try out druid and priest, since they seem to be largely neglected on these forums. Maybe I'll make some vid later.

Envenomed strike does not stack (tested by many people included peddroelm, who did this quite rigorously), Arguments whether class sucks or is good based on solo performance are quite moot since the game is balanced for party play. I must admit I was on the "rangers suck" bandwagon, but after actually using one I'd say that their performance is comparable to that of a ranged rogue, at least until level 11 (dps is a bit lower, but they get extra utility and extra tanking body, which is not THAT bad). I still think they can use some improvements.

I get it but each to his own- for me class is great if you can solo game with it. I get that game in balanced by party, but it is up to individual player in single player game to judge what is good and what is not. For me ranger is not good becasue he is only great where all other classes are- in party.

That is just and only my opinion.

Can you exaplain focus gaining trick please for Cipher? I am curious :)

I get it but each to his own- for me class is great if you can solo game with it. I get that game in balanced by party, but it is up to individual player in single player game to judge what is good and what is not. For me ranger is not good becasue he is only great where all other classes are- in party.

Well, by now everyone knows the retaliation trick. It's based on it, but it's on steroids. Thing is, you retaliate even to friendly characters and likewise you gain focus from attacking friendlies too. If you eat carrow golan and have draining whip you have +6 focus on hit. Likely more. Now you equip retaliation armor and force let's say, figurine beetles to attack yourself. You'll be getting at least 6 focus per hit (but would take almost no damage if you have high DR). If you stack 2 retaliation items you'll be getting at least +12 focus on hit, but you'll burn through your summons faster. Still, the amount of focus you can get this way is crazy, you are likely not even able to cast spells at this rate. My only regret is that you don't have a "mistress" summon, equipped with leather armor and a whip.

• Like 3

Well, by now everyone knows the retaliation trick. It's based on it, but it's on steroids. Thing is, you retaliate even to friendly characters and likewise you gain focus from attacking friendlies too. If you eat carrow golan and have draining whip you have +6 focus on hit. Likely more. Now you equip retaliation armor and force let's say, figurine beetles to attack yourself. You'll be getting at least 6 focus per hit (but would take almost no damage if you have high DR). If you stack 2 retaliation items you'll be getting at least +12 focus on hit, but you'll burn through your summons faster. Still, the amount of focus you can get this way is crazy, you are likely not even able to cast spells at this rate. My only regret is that you don't have a "mistress" summon, equipped with leather armor and a whip.

:D

Good one. If Cipher wasn't so boring for me I would definetly try it :). But good to know just for more knowledge :).

I see your point.

To tell the truth, I think this game has abundance of AoE effects. Ranger's Binding Roots is one of very few (good) single target skills. The thing is, there are very few strong monsters in the game. I mean, Adra Animat is not much stronger than regular Animat. You don't fight something like 2 Battle Horrors in Baldur's Gate. I would enjoy encounters which have an occasional big baddie among them. Alas, PoE's pathfinding is not up to the task :(

The difference isn't big, but Boar is noticably tankier than other animals. High Constitution, 15 resolve (!!), 5 Int. The best mental stats among all animal companions. But still, at level 12 animals have 60 Accuracy and 60 Deflection.

I see your point.

To tell the truth, I think this game has abundance of AoE effects. Ranger's Binding Roots is one of very few (good) single target skills. The thing is, there are very few strong monsters in the game. I mean, Adra Animat is not much stronger than regular Animat. You don't fight something like 2 Battle Horrors in Baldur's Gate. I would enjoy encounters which have an occasional big baddie among them. Alas, PoE's pathfinding is not up to the task :(

The difference isn't big, but Boar is noticably tankier than other animals. High Constitution, 15 resolve (!!), 5 Int. The best mental stats among all animal companions. But still, at level 12 animals have 60 Accuracy and 60 Deflection.

I agree with you. This game focus too much on huge numbers of enemy packs, which of course favour AOE abilities and AOE CC and also CC resistance mechanic is imo bad plus there is too much CC from enemies in game, especially in melee and damage is too low. So in PoE you do not feel spells like Fire Ball, Finger of Death or Poison Could. Nor you do not fear backstab enemy assassins or two handed tanks.

You fear being overwhelm by numbers or being perma CC-ed, only watching as your char dies with costant Paralyzed/Petrify/Stun (10 second)...(10 second....)....(10 second)....

I like this game but still prefer D&D system in many ways, like defensive rolls and damage value.

Edited by Voltron

Tried a priest, don't have time for a vid yet, but pretty easy overall. Tactic is as follows (any char can use it, but priest has several advantages):

• Loadout: 10 x malestrom scrolls, 5 x paralysis scrolls 5 x valor scrolls (not needed, but since 1 takes a slot too might as well have 5), obsidian figurine, slot 6 is entirely optional, maybe another figurine just in case. Boots of speed are essential, rest of the gear doesn't matter much. Rotfinger gloves or gloves of accuracy might help.
  • Run into the treasury. Everyone will aggro. (Eliminating adragans first as Kaylon did is probably a wiser move but we won't be doing it)
  • Eliminate the xaurips. It is possible to do with priest spells, but would be faster with scrolls.
  • Cast scroll of paralysis on Xaurips (they have low will so its a guaranteed hit).
  • Cast 2xmalestrom scrolls on xaurips. Since they're paralyzed their reflex is abysmally low. They should be dead or almost dead. Finish off any that remain.
  • Run deeper into the cave. Buff with crowns for the faithful, prayer against fear, champion's boon and devotions of the faithful. Finish with scroll of valor (lower duration).
  • As the dragon approaches you need to stop her somehow. There are several options: 1) scroll of paralysis 2) halt spell (> 20 sec duration, since buffed up you have 30+ int) 3) summon with withdraw. 4) trap the path with repulsive seal
  • When dragon is disabled proceed to pummel with scrolls of malestrom and/or priest spells. Your spell damage is very high under champion's boon. Adragans should still be way back, but if they appear use scroll of paralysis. If dragon somehow breaks the CC just back up and recast.
  • When dragon is dead proceed to finish off remaining adragans protected with prayer against treachery/imprisonment. Rebuff other stuff if needed. Good combo for cleanup is shades + sparks of the righteous (heavy lightning damage and interrupt under champion's boon)

Think more or less similar tactic can be used with many classes, but priest has several advantages:

• High accuracy with devotions of the faithful. The only classes that can compete are cipher, ranger and paladin
  • No need to use potions of recovery and/or scrolls of prayer against fear since you can cast it yourself - one extra quick slot
  • Very high spell/scroll damage with champion's boon - no contest for scrolls, spells like shining beacon  or electric seal also hit like truck
  • High CC duration with crowns for the faithful - no one can get Int as high as a priest
  • Multiple options for path blocking/CC - only one is really needed but options are nice. Seals are pretty much impossible to resist once you buff up.
  • Can make himself almost immune to adragan CC if needed and overall buffed saves are pretty insane.

I might record a vid if I feel like it on the weekend, will post it in some other thread though.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Kaylon,

After copping out on the murder, thereby acquiring Scale Breaker AND pissing off the AD, how did you get past the AD and the adragans to the alcove that was your start point for the attack.  I agree that it is an excellent jump off point to clear out the backstabbers, but I have never been able to get over to it after the hostility of the dragon and his helpers was triggered.

Further, how did you get the 2nd adragan to leave you alone while you finished the first, not to mention the AD itself?  Is that just a Ranger thing where they did not react to the first attack because it was just an animal companion?  Because when I try to attack just one end of the adragan line, the others all react right away, as does the dragon albeit more slowly.

Finally why was the dragon apparently not reacting to you the first time or two you ran past it?  Was it because you were approaching it from behind?

What was your Item load-out for this?  Its a little hard to read, although several items/scrolls can be inferred from the action.

vr

dreamrider

Kaylon,

After copping out on the murder, thereby acquiring Scale Breaker AND pissing off the AD, how did you get past the AD and the adragans to the alcove that was your start point for the attack.  I agree that it is an excellent jump off point to clear out the backstabbers, but I have never been able to get over to it after the hostility of the dragon and his helpers was triggered.

Further, how did you get the 2nd adragan to leave you alone while you finished the first, not to mention the AD itself?  Is that just a Ranger thing where they did not react to the first attack because it was just an animal companion?  Because when I try to attack just one end of the adragan line, the others all react right away, as does the dragon albeit more slowly.

Finally why was the dragon apparently not reacting to you the first time or two you ran past it?  Was it because you were approaching it from behind?

What was your Item load-out for this?  Its a little hard to read, although several items/scrolls can be inferred from the action.

vr

dreamrider

It was one of my first attempts to solo the AD in the early versions of the game and thus I tried to make it as easy as possible. When I recorded the fight (maybe it was patched in the next versions) It was possible to kill one of the adragans without making the dragon/adragans hostile to you - I don't know if it's still possible. If you tried to position yourself as I did and attack the same adragan as I did and it didn't work, then it was patched. However that step isn't needed, you just have to fight all the adragans first - use maelstrom scrolls if you can't kill them fast enough (use that instead the scrolls of nature's mark which are useless in my video)