Sanitarium Quest Bug- can't get basement key

house2fly

Question

I go to talk to the statue to get the key to go into the patient section of the basement and he acts as though he already gave me the key and I advanced the quest, asking "what in blazes happened down there?"  Is there a console command to add the key to my inventory or reset the quest?  Normally I'd shrug my shoulders but this is a main quest and if I can't get past this I'll have to start my whole game over!

5 answers to this question

Update: I opened the save file in winrar and deleted all references to the sanitarium since I've seen people say that fixes issues in other areas.  It did nothing.  From what I remember from my first playthrough, the statue guy needs to give you permission to access the basement to unlock the door, then you use a key to unlock the north ward.  So by skipping the bit where he gives you permission to go in it renders the quest impossible to complete- I can't use a console command to give myself a key, because there is no key.  And since this is part of the main quest, either there's a console command to autocomplete the quest or I just stop playing the game.

I'm also experiencing a problem at this part in the quest. I can't talk to the statue to get the key for below. I can click on him, but it doesn't open a dialogue box any more. I can't progress the main quest line. I have been told to go ask Ethelmoer about Azo, but he doesn't talk to me when i click on him.

plz help.