Am I the only one that just stopped playing?

I kinda just did. PoE is on hold, as I do other stuffand play other games.

The breaking point was the faction "choice" that locked me out of my perfered faction.

I don't want to play from the start again and I don't want to go further with the other 2 factions either.

After that I wasn't able to bring myself to continue playing.

Does aynone know if I can console cheat to get around that?

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Did you not have a save from earlier?  Though considering how far you might have to go back it might not be a good option anyway. 

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I can tell you this (I've tried to phrase it as generically as I can):

Whichever faction you side with to get in doesn't really matter, in fact you can play at 'backstabbing' the faction you are with if their opinions on animancy doesn't appeal to you and side with others once you are in there.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Well, they do warn you that it will piss the other fractions off. Even so I was also abit surprised about it. But the real problem here seems to be, if you don't want to go with any faction. Then it's like not wanting to partner with the shadow thieves or Bodhi in BG 2. To play the game, you kinda have to make a choice. 

That is a strange reason to stop playing...

I can't think of a better reason to stop playing.

Well, they do warn you that it will piss the other fractions off. Even so I was also abit surprised about it. But the real problem here seems to be, if you don't want to go with any faction. Then it's like not wanting to partner with the shadow thieves or Bodhi in BG 2. To play the game, you kinda have to make a choice. 

It is possible to get locked out of picking a faction without taking the quest from them. Also, you receive the quest - locking you out of other factions - before you know what the quest even is, and once done, there's nothing to do. The problem as I saw it was always that you get locked out when accepting the quest, not when carrying it out, which is.. counter-intuitive.

I also think that it should be possible to flat-out refuse to pick a faction, similar to what happens if you kill all the faction leaders. Except not killing the faction leaders.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I can't think of a better reason to stop playing.

It is possible to get locked out of picking a faction without taking the quest from them. Also, you receive the quest - locking you out of other factions - before you know what the quest even is, and once done, there's nothing to do. The problem as I saw it was always that you get locked out when accepting the quest, not when carrying it out, which is.. counter-intuitive.

I also think that it should be possible to flat-out refuse to pick a faction, similar to what happens if you kill all the faction leaders. Except not killing the faction leaders.

I agree that there's some issues with just accepting a quest pissing others off, and there's likely other things that could have been done more smoothly. A choice to not go with any faction could be cool too. But I was just pointing out, that choosing a faction is a fairly common element, and if it's part of the game, you gotta do it if you want to play on. Either that or wait until somebody makes a mod like in BG 2. :)

And I haven't tried to kill all the faction leaders. ^_^ 

You're not alone, more than half the players on Steam haven't finished Act 1. I found it hard to continue from the middle of Act 2 for various reasons (which I won't go into) but slowly trudging my way through Act 3. I'm finding the side quests more enjoyable than the main story..

• Like 3

How is "this killed my playtrough" not a valid reason?

Think of it in BG2 terms.

Suppose I was playing BG2, the Order of the Radiant Heart loves me, and I decide to take a side job for the thieves guild that involes exploring ruins (not stealing). There's something they want there that might hurt the OrH, and I agree to retrieve it.

I can keep it for myself, I can LIE about the items to the Thiefs Guild. (the only option lacking is giving it to the OrH)

So why is the OrH so mad at me over this?

So yes, being declared hostile or an enemy to a faction without actually doing anything really hostile is vexing.

Exploring ruins is what I have been doing all this time anyway.

Did you not have a save from earlier?

I make saves often and keep several saves, but since I activate a lot quests and since I was doing OdNua, my oldest save is already after that "choice".

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

You're not alone, more than half the players on Steam haven't finished Act 1. I found it hard to continue from the middle of Act 2 for various reasons (which I won't go into) but slowly trudging my way through Act 3. I'm finding the side quests more enjoyable than the main story..

It's strange that all games seem to suffer from this - the vast majority of bought games are not really played. I've seen big hugely popular title, where only around 30% had even done the first mission. Wonky...

To the OP, that's unfortunate - but I would personally roll with it and say that my character got duped into doing something he didn't want to and try to exact revenge on a later date (you can).

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Well. I got railroaded into the "wrong" faction myself, because I didn't fully realize that I was locking down a choice by accepting a quest (instead I though completing a quest would lock down a choice) and I decided that I'd roll with it. 

No matter. What does annoy me is the deja vu I'm getting from BG2, a very bad game, so while this game doesn't really feel similar to that trash, this quest does bring back some nasty memories of railroading, contrived plot and stupid, stupid storytelling. 

That being said, it should be clear through the plot that taking a certain quest from a certain faction locks things down and there should definitely be a way to ignore factions altogether. 

I agree that the game should be a bit more clear when a choice is about to be made which will cut off major options. By the time I knew I would have to be helped by one of the three groups, I had thoroughly closed off the possibility of the third option, and had helped both of the first two groups, which for some reason only prevented one of them from helping me. So, I had to get the help of the group who I completely disagreed with and then essentially betray them.

My full thoughts on the issue (Act II Spoilers):

The whole thing does feel kind of forced. If I agree with the Crucible Knights and have something to contribute, then simply having helped out the Dozens shouldn't really matter much. I also think that you should have been able to just say 'No, I want to go as a guest of Dunrynd Row' immediately. I also didn't like that the Domeonels situation was so easily ruined. One of the first things I did in Defiance Bay was help a seemingly wealthy and important man not get robbed by the Domeonels (who I already disliked after the business in Dyrford), and in doing so I cut off any possibility of being their guest apparently. Even though I later lost huge representation with them by fighting their men in Ondra's Gift, it seems that it was spoiling their robbery is what cut off their help, because I was able to talk to them despite the reputation issue but I was told that because of a recent issue (the exposed robbery plans I believe), they couldn't get involved.

Ultimately, it would have been really nice if they had added in the options of opting to going as a guest of Dunrynd Row (I'm assuming that this is what happens if you piss off or kill all the other groups, but it would be nice to just be able to choose it), and also to potentially be a guest of the wealthy man I helped out.

End of Act II Spoiler:

However, it doesn't really end up making much of a difference who you go as a guest of as far as I can tell

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Well. I got railroaded into the "wrong" faction myself, because I didn't fully realize that I was locking down a choice by accepting a quest (instead I though completing a quest would lock down a choice) and I decided that I'd roll with it. 

No matter. What does annoy me is the deja vu I'm getting from BG2, a very bad game, so while this game doesn't really feel similar to that trash, this quest does bring back some nasty memories of railroading, contrived plot and stupid, stupid storytelling. 

That being said, it should be clear through the plot that taking a certain quest from a certain faction locks things down and there should definitely be a way to ignore factions altogether. 

Right, BG2 had a stupid storytelling. Unlike GTA.

For OP - I think the question is at which chapter are you ? at the transition of chapter 2 and chapter 3 I think there is an option still to pick sides. I didn't finish the game yet I just made it to act 3 but it seems so to me, and anyway, u can continue the last mile as u did, and in your 2nd play choose different options maybe

what_can_cb510.png

The fact that more than half hasn't finished Act 1 is presumably just indicative of the fact that they haven't gotten around to playing the game yet. They bought it, booted it up, created a char, got into the game just to get a glimse of it, and put it aside to when they can commit to it. That's certainly what's up with 90% of my steam library. It's not that they stopped playing, it's rather that they didn't even start.

• Like 3

I hated the Doemenels but I want the

crit bonus and weapon.

It was a hard choice. A choice that will haunt my main character until PoE 3. :p

I can see my tombstone with the following epitaph.

"But.. but.. I wanted to be strong! I'm sorry people of Dyrwood."

Edited by Veynn

Most people play these games and run out of steam at some point; only a minority of players finish them.  For example, I lost interest in Divinity: Original Sin after I left Cyseal.  I keep meaning to go back...but I'm more interested in PoE and some of the other older games at the moment.  I never did get around to NWN2, for instance, and I'm starting the main campaign for the first time.  I've heard that there are expansions and mods that make it worth it.  I may not, however, be able to tolerate the bizarre camera controls.

• Like 2

I kinda just did. PoE is on hold, as I do other stuffand play other games.

The breaking point was the faction "choice" that locked me out of my perfered faction.

I don't want to play from the start again and I don't want to go further with the other 2 factions either.

After that I wasn't able to bring myself to continue playing.

Does aynone know if I can console cheat to get around that?

Happened to me too (getting locked into a faction that I didn't want). But that wasn't the reason I almost quit playing. I found I was more compelled to read the boards and was thinking about other games than I was to finish this one. However, I slogged through just to see the end of the game. There's probably a way to console it, but I don't know it. It could possibly muck up the game as well. But as others have said, you may have a way to rectify it later.

Right, BG2 had a stupid storytelling. Unlike GTA.

Yes, BG2 was a bad game with a bad story, good for a themepark, bad for a game. What does Grand Theft Auto have to do with anything?

Oh no unexpected things occurred and I don't want to suffer the consequences in my role-playing game :( Press A for Good!  Press A for Good! 

At least for me, just rolling with what the game gives me is 1/2 the fun, especially of a first playthrough where you really have no idea what's going to happen.   If I wanted everything to be just so I'd use a character editor to flag all the proper quest results (a pretty handy thingue if they end up making any subsequent sequels reactive a la ME1-ME2). 

I ended up doing all the quests that I could and didn't get the faction I maybe would've preferred, but it was still cool, and there's something different for me to do next time.   

• Like 1

Oh no unexpected things occurred and I don't want to suffer the consequences in my role-playing game :( Press A for Good!  Press A for Good! 

It's not a consequence, it doesn't matter which faction you choose (or accidentally choose), so it's just kinda silly that this choice locks down when you *accept* a quest, not when you *finish* a quest. Maybe you were just lying to the guy who gave you the quest? 

people demand hard and meaningful choices in crpgs.

people get angry when developers include hard and meaningful choices.

HA! Good Fun!

ps it is a meaningful choice.  you cannot advance other quests and there is even faction talents you will be locked outta by choosing one faction over another.  limit the definition o' consequences or meaning to one specific choice is misleading.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

ps it is a meaningful choice.  you cannot advance other quests and there is even faction talents you will be locked outta by choosing one faction over another.  limit the definition o' consequences or meaning to one specific choice is misleading.

Don't think the concern is that choices are hard and meningful. It's rather a lack of signposting that's annoying.

Edited by Prime-Mover
  • Like 3

HA! Good Fun!

It's not actually a choice if you're not given the opportunity to realize you're making it.

• Like 2