Defiance Bay: What is the best faction

Defiance Bay Factions  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which faction is the best to join in Defiance Bay

• Crucible Knights
    • The Dozens
    • House Doemenel

On a side note, I found the Dozens' rep's "colorful" language to be more than a little unacceptable.  I realize that it helped make him look even more like a raving lunatic, but that doesn't change my view that it really should have no place in a game that kids could play.

So what's your opinion on trees full of hanging corpses and the ability to perform human sacrifice in a game kids could play?

I agree, it's not for nothing that this game has a Mature ESRB rating.

The warning is there, if kids <17 are playing this game, that responsibility lies with their parents/guardian - in no way is obsidian responsible for this.

• Like 4

xosmi.gif

I guess it just depends on what you want. The Doemenel are more traditionally evil, the Dozens are populist rabble rousers; the Knights are too concerned with power, status, privilege, and authority. That said, I think you can get the Knights back on track moreso than the other factions.

I thought they all sucked but the Crucible Knights are the lesser evil I think.

I am getting tired of the "everyone is terrible" trope that seems to be populating a lot of rpgs these days.

Edited by Dadalama
  • Like 1

It's good to criticize things you love.

I thought House Doemenel was the lesser evil since the Crucible Knights, unless you do their second quest, seemed enthusiastic on enslaving souls to power their mecha-troops. For the murder, crime and back stabbing House Doemenel seemed too subtle and low-key to get onto that level of evil.

Guest BugsVendor

I wanted to do some quest for both before deciding. I helped the ck with creating of those golem like things.

I was thinking I will be fighting those things or they will be used in the riots or ANYTHING. NOTHING EVER HAPPENED.

If you'd kept questing for them you would have seen that something motherfornicating happens.

But i did help to create them, just picked the dozens later and than nothing happens which is sad.

This seems to be the majority opinion. Why is that?

The Crucible Knights are buying souls (which seems like an evil incarnate type of thing to do) and planning to use them to make a golem army to keep the peace which seemed like a sufficiently bad idea that I sided with the Dozens who just seemed to be mostly harmlessly stupid. (The Doemenels were, um, unavailable.)

Really, how could the stealing souls to make a golem peacekeeping army plan not go wrong?

The Crucible Knights are buying souls (which seems like an evil incarnate type of thing to do) and planning to use them to make a golem army to keep the peace which seemed like a sufficiently bad idea that I sided with the Dozens who just seemed to be mostly harmlessly stupid. (The Doemenels were, um, unavailable.)

Really, how could the stealing souls to make a golem peacekeeping army plan not go wrong?

A large portion of them also don't like the fact that they are doing it and are very vocal that they are only doing it because of orders from higher up.  You can also convince them long term this is a bad idea and they will abandon the practice.  Meanwhile the Dozens want the plans to make the golems too and are happy to brutally torture a woman to get them and try to murder you as well and seem to have no issue with the source of the souls either.  So yeah, Dozens = xenophobic **** who will put their morals on hold when it suits them and are happy to be extreme racists/bigots.  Crucible = elitist snobby dudes who make mistakes but are at least willing to admit when they screw up.

It is not a tough call if you ask me.

Well, I never even attempted the Doemenels, but for all the crucible knight's authoritarianism and how they use animancy I just simply cannot get behind a reactionary group that's let fear lead them around. Maybe they enslaved a few souls, and maybe they were really stupid about the golem thing. But fear mongers and reactionaries have caused more suffering in history than immoral scientists.

Really wish there was some fourth option. Maybe have the sanitarium as it's own faction? Or an anti authoritarian faction that isn't just giving your authority over to some grandstanding ideologue. 

• Like 1

It's good to criticize things you love.

A large portion of them also don't like the fact that they are doing it and are very vocal that they are only doing it because of orders from higher up.  You can also convince them long term this is a bad idea and they will abandon the practice.  Meanwhile the Dozens want the plans to make the golems too and are happy to brutally torture a woman to get them and try to murder you as well and seem to have no issue with the source of the souls either.  So yeah, Dozens = xenophobic **** who will put their morals on hold when it suits them and are happy to be extreme racists/bigots.  Crucible = elitist snobby dudes who make mistakes but are at least willing to admit when they screw up.

It is not a tough call if you ask me.

Oh, I see. I didn't really get that far with them.

I went with stupid faction is better than evil faction with fascist tendencies and left it at that but apparently there is more to it if you can talk them out of the golem plan.

Maybe they enslaved a few souls, and maybe they were really stupid about the golem thing

Well, there's no 'maybe' about it. That seemed like a deal breaker, to me.

Really wish there was some fourth option. Maybe have the sanitarium as it's own faction? Or an anti authoritarian faction that isn't just giving your authority over to some grandstanding ideologue. 

Well, we can certainly agree on that.  :yes:

• Like 1

Well, I never even attempted the Doemenels, but for all the crucible knight's authoritarianism and how they use animancy I just simply cannot get behind a reactionary group that's let fear lead them around. Maybe they enslaved a few souls, and maybe they were really stupid about the golem thing. But fear mongers and reactionaries have caused more suffering in history than immoral scientists.

In my opinion it should be possible to uncover and/or admonish the things all 3 factions are doing - then when you're not going to join with any of the 3, have dunryd row be the one that sponsors your entry into the animancy trials.

Lady webb says as much through dialogue - only with the notion that it preferrably would only be as a last resort, since all 3 factionsould look at you with suspicion.

xosmi.gif

Oh, I see. I didn't really get that far with them.

I went with stupid faction is better than evil faction with fascist tendencies and left it at that but apparently there is more to it if you can talk them out of the golem plan.

Yeah if you get far enough in the quest the Dwarf smith makes it clear to you that he doesn't like the plan, like at all.  He only goes along with it cause of orders.  Later on some of the golems malfunction and you have to take them out.  At that point the faction leader is like well maybe my dwarf buddy is right, this clearly isn't playing out as planned and is looking like a dumber idea by the second.  Then he essentially straight up says "Well what do you think?", and you get a chance to talk them out of it.  Or you can also say the medieval version of "to make an omelet you have to break a few eggs."

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

On a side note, I found the Dozens' rep's "colorful" language to be more than a little unacceptable.  I realize that it helped make him look even more like a raving lunatic, but that doesn't change my view that it really should have no place in a game that kids could play.

Pillars of Eternity is rated M for Mature. It's not intended for kids.

It's worth noting that House Doemenel is not the "evil" faction. While they are criminals, they don't exactly incite riots or kill innocent people. It's also implied that they heavily contribute to maintaining order in the city, even if through unsavory means, because rampant crime and unrest is bad for business.

All things considered, the faction choice is mostly just roleplay. My character sided with Doemenel because they were cunning, predictable, rational, and what was more important, they paid well. They were just amoral, that's all.

Edited by Concordance
  • Like 1

House Doemenel actually can have the happiest ending for Defiance Bay if done for the super happy scooby doo type ending. I liked there missions the best and you get to acquire a +2 Plate armor pretty damn early for free. And 10K gold. And a crit damagew multiplier for your character.

But more importantly you can still have all 3 faction merchants open to you. And they have 2 more quests then the other factions. House Doemenel merchant opening quest has nothing to do with the faction string. Then later there is a House Doemenel quest in the second village.

• Like 1

It's worth noting that House Doemenel is not the "evil" faction. While they are criminals, they don't exactly incite riots or kill innocent people. It's also implied that they heavily contribute to maintaining order in the city, even if through unsavory means, because rampant crime and unrest is bad for business.

All things considered, the faction choice is mostly just roleplay. My character sided with Doemenel because they were cunning, predictable, rational, and what was more important, they paid well. They were just amoral, that's all.

I'm sure that the Mafia says the same thing, but it's still just a rationalization for evil criminal behavior. 

• Like 2

I'm sure that the Mafia says the same thing, but it's still just a rationalization for evil criminal behavior. 

Define evil. Was Capone evil?

t50aJUd.jpg

Define evil. Was Capone evil?

Oh puh-leeeeze.  If you don't know what evil is, go ask your mom or dad.

• Like 1