Defiance Bay: What is the best faction

Defiance Bay Factions  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which faction is the best to join in Defiance Bay

• Crucible Knights
    • The Dozens
    • House Doemenel

Crucible knights got the best merchant :p.  No seriously I would rather side with them.  Doemenal's are a bunch of murdering thieves and con artists.  Basically fantasy mafia.  The Dozens are nothing but a group of organized thugs and rioters who also happen to be fairly bigoted if not racist.  I will stick with the Crucible Knights, thanks.  They may be a bunch of classists but at least they don't think over throwing the government or shanking a guy in an alley and robbing him are cool things to do.

• Like 2

Well, let's see...

The Doemnels are scumbags and thieves, profiting off of others' misfortune and hard work.

The Dozens are a bunch of ignorant wankers panicking over things they don't understand.

And the Crucible Knights are a somewhat elitist police force keeping the peace and order.

Since there's no honor among thieves and the Dozens are afraid of their own shadows, the choice was pretty easy.

You can unlock all three merchants anyway, and they'll keep trading with you forever.

• Like 2

Guest BugsVendor

All of them are bad.

We don't even get enough quests and dialogues to get to know them.

Roleplaying as well with them is terrible.

I wanted to do some quest for both before deciding. I helped the ck with creating of those golem like things.

I was thinking I will be fighting those things or they will be used in the riots or ANYTHING. NOTHING EVER HAPPENED.

Technicly your working for Dunryd Row as your faction but Crucible knights I choose over the lot as your pretend faction, Seems a fairly obvious choice cause the rest were just plain rude to me. I don't care about alignment but if npc are rude to me ill kill them the first possible chance I get :p

by the way BugsVendor is that avatar a pic of the actor who plays Margery Tyrell in game of thrones lol? Quite funny

I wanted to do some quest for both before deciding. I helped the ck with creating of those golem like things.

I was thinking I will be fighting those things or they will be used in the riots or ANYTHING. NOTHING EVER HAPPENED.

If you'd kept questing for them you would have seen that something motherfornicating happens.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Ironically, both the Dozens and the Knights are trying to enforce order.

Doemenels seem to be motivated by profit and emotions. They would beat someone up not because he did something bad, not even because he messes up their profits(they do that too), but because it feels good.

Although the Knights are not as noble as they pretend to be

They have no problem buying souls on black market, essentially like slave trade because they are not from willing donors

they are the most tolerant. And the least greedy. Even if something shady is going on, they try to keep good reputation. If they were exposed, it would be good leverage to fix them.

You could make a good point the Dozens are the most moral of the bunch. They take morality extremely seriously, they are extremely rigid about it and xenophobic. They like money, but their expeditions don't directly harm other people. They show no respect for things outside their point of view.

Overall, I'd prefer living under the Knights, then under the Dozens, (intolerant but rules are clear and it's easy to stay out of trouble), then Doemenels.

I feel there isn't much choice unless you deliberately want to roleplay someone nasty. I like Dozens' quest rewards the most.

• Like 1

Technicly your working for Dunryd Row as your faction but Crucible knights I choose over the lot as your pretend faction, Seems a fairly obvious choice cause the rest were just plain rude to me. I don't care about alignment but if npc are rude to me ill kill them the first possible chance I get :p

by the way BugsVendor is that avatar a pic of the actor who plays Margery Tyrell in game of thrones lol? Quite funny

Crucible Knights were rude to me too, playing as an Orlan I literally walked through the door and bumped into a guy who told me to my face Orlans are all uncivilized thieves. Went with the dozens after that!

They could've been done better, they don't illicit many.. feels.

But the "best" one? Depends entirely on character. I like that while they divided them up too sharply for the hearing (hurr, pro con neutral, woo) they actually have a lot poured into them as distinct factions. The Dozen are criminals but not really, the Doemenels are criminals but reasonable, and the Crucible Knights are policemen but assho.. wait, no, that's just policemen, nevermind.

Anyway, an objective "best"? I would say Crucible Knights or Doemenels. The Dozen, while probably the most likely for me to join myself (me, as a person), are anything but a stable influence.

But it comes down to your character.

t50aJUd.jpg

The Doemels are my favorite. They have no prejudice and, in an adamsmithian way, increase the wealth of everybody. The Knights and the Dozen are stuck in prejudices and principles that don't allow them to have a clear view on the world and thus they act evil even when they try to do good.

The Doemels are my favorite. They have no prejudice and, in an adamsmithian way, increase the wealth of everybody. The Knights and the Dozen are stuck in prejudices and principles that don't allow them to have a clear view on the world and thus they act evil even when they try to do good.

On the other hand, the Knights

can be convinced to either abandon the Animancy research or pursue it. So they're reasonable.

• Like 1

I'm just glad I didn't side with the Dozens after hearing their representative at the hearing, what an embarrassment.

That was the same representative that made me want to be able to switch allegiance during the hearing, too.

From Crucible Knights to The Dozens.

t50aJUd.jpg

I did at least the 1st quest for all factions so i could get access to all the merchants, though the crucible knights one has by far the better items in stock.

Other then that, i really don't like the Dozen's ideology myself, but it's a close contest between the crucible knights and the doemenels.

The crucible knights are a bit haughty and interacting with members of their faction during quests/conversation you get a "holier-then-thou" attitude from a lot of them.

In the end though,they are generally trying to do the right thing - and even when things blow up in their face *cough*animancy*cough* i feel they are the faction most likely to learn from their response and set out on a better course because of it.

Basically, i pick crucible knights for my "good" characters - i find it making a lot more sense for a benevolent fighter to join their cause.

On the other hand there's the doemenels, who - if not evil, are self-serving in every definition of the word, and don't have many scruples about the methods they go about to get what they want.

I find that they are a good fit for my neutral and downright evil characters - good for rogues, but also cruel or "evil" fighter types, like bleak walker paladins for example.

xosmi.gif

I did at least the 1st quest for all factions so i could get access to all the merchants, though the crucible knights one has by far the better items in stock.

Other then that, i really don't like the Dozen's ideology myself, but it's a close contest between the crucible knights and the doemenels.

The crucible knights are a bit haughty and interacting with members of their faction during quests/conversation you get a "holier-then-thou" attitude from a lot of them.

In the end though,they are generally trying to do the right thing - and even when things blow up in their face *cough*animancy*cough* i feel they are the faction most likely to learn from their response and set out on a better course because of it.

Basically, i pick crucible knights for my "good" characters - i find it making a lot more sense for a benevolent fighter to join their cause.

On the other hand there's the doemenels, who - if not evil, are self-serving in every definition of the word, and don't have many scruples about the methods they go about to get what they want.

I find that they are a good fit for my neutral and downright evil characters - good for rogues, but also cruel or "evil" fighter types, like bleak walker paladins for example.

I don't know. I was a bit split with my Bleak Walker paladin, but I didn't really have a choice - I was locked out of the Doemenels, so I could only choose The Dozen or The Knights of the Crucible. But my point being that Bleak Walkers, while reduced to blackguards in practice in PoE (Hurrrrr Aggressive/Cruel, Durrrrr Diplomacy/Benevolent), are still supposed to be a Paladin Order that believes in order and discipline, and just seeks to end conflicts as fast and resolute as possible.

The Doemenels are scheming bastards, when push comes to shove, and I realize it's up to individual characters as to what they do, but I'd say that the Bleak Walkers are definitely predisposed towards the Knights of the Crucible, at least to a degree.

t50aJUd.jpg

Depends on my character - my orlan rogue walked into the crucible knights stronghold and said "Thanks, but no thanks" For the rest I tend to go with the knights, the dozens are pretty much thugs. You can run across them a couple of times threatening people...

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I don't feel there is no "best" as it all depends on your objective. If you are rping your choices then whatever fits your character. For a solo run I'd recommend against the knights as their second quest was a hassle for me. The Domenels have much easier quests. I've haven't picked the Dozens yet, maybe in one play-through. Overall, there is no "best" faction just the one that is the right fit for you.

My PC was a Rogue, taking mostly benevolent dialog choices in the game, but also stealing everything I could get away with. So the Doemnels seemed a good fit for role-playing reasons. And also because I didn't care for the rigid perspective of the Dozens, and haughty Paladin types have always pissed me off in games like this. 

I can't say I enjoyed reading the end-game aftermath description of the Doemnels effect on Defiance Bay, however. It made them sound more evil than they were represented in the game, in a "bad for business" kind of way. It just didn't sound very believable.

My PC was a Rogue, taking mostly benevolent dialog choices in the game, but also stealing everything I could get away with. So the Doemnels seemed a good fit for role-playing reasons. And also because I didn't care for the rigid perspective of the Dozens, and haughty Paladin types have always pissed me off in games like this. 

I can't say I enjoyed reading the end-game aftermath description of the Doemnels effect on Defiance Bay, however. It made them sound more evil than they were represented in the game, in a "bad for business" kind of way. It just didn't sound very believable.

I actually started my second (and current) run thru as a monk, intending to side with the Domenels.  But due to the very confused dialogs with the three factions, I unintentionally ended up with the Dozens, the faction I like least.

(I sided with the Knights in my first run-thru.)

The factions are rather strange, particularly when you add in their representatives at the hearing.

At first, the Dozens seem sorta-kinda OK, though they clearly don't like animancy.  But when you're at the Hearing, their rep is a total raving maniac.  And IMO, in any sort of rational "real" world, he would have been (A) slapped down for his unacceptable language during a (sorta) public meeting, and (B) perhaps even arrested for threatening armed revolution if he didn't get his way.  And possibly ©, may get his entire group booted from the city, though attempting to do so could foment the very insurrection that the Dozens' almost seem to want.

The Knights seems rather rational to me prior to the Hearing.  More than a little elitist, probably, but generally seemed to have their hearts and heads in the right place.  And yet at the Hearing, their rep seemed far too snarky and didn't seem in keeping with the tone of the group in general.  In fact, it wasn't exactly clear what their view on animancy was at the Hearing due to the way their rep was talking.

And then there's the Domenels.  I haven't played a run-thru with them yet, so I don't know what they're really like.  But I'll assume some things since they're Defiance Bay's crime family.  And yet, when you get to the Hearing, their representative is the only one who seems both entirely clear headed and acts in a manner appropriate to the public setting. 

So, who's the "best" faction?  They all have their blemishes.  I think that the decision as to who's the best group for one's PC may be strictly a role playing decision based on the nature of the individual character.

On a side note, I found the Dozens' rep's "colorful" language to be more than a little unacceptable.  I realize that it helped make him look even more like a raving lunatic, but that doesn't change my view that it really should have no place in a game that kids could play.

I don't know. I was a bit split with my Bleak Walker paladin, but I didn't really have a choice - I was locked out of the Doemenels, so I could only choose The Dozen or The Knights of the Crucible. But my point being that Bleak Walkers, while reduced to blackguards in practice in PoE (Hurrrrr Aggressive/Cruel, Durrrrr Diplomacy/Benevolent), are still supposed to be a Paladin Order that believes in order and discipline, and just seeks to end conflicts as fast and resolute as possible.

The Doemenels are scheming bastards, when push comes to shove, and I realize it's up to individual characters as to what they do, but I'd say that the Bleak Walkers are definitely predisposed towards the Knights of the Crucible, at least to a degree.

Yeah, thee thing is that none of the factions are really at a singe point on the moral spectrum. Arguably the dozens are working towards what they think is right, but from the encounters with them in the game their methods are equally questionable as those of the doemenels - They're the one behind the harassments in the docks, wich hit the common folk the hardest, and their treatment of the animancer you need to retrieve the notes on animancy knights from is hard-handed to say the least.

Even the crucible knights, although with the best intentions in mind - using the animated knights to keep the peace, manage to screw up big time and cause more harm then good in the process - it's also hinted during dialogue that they fully well know the souls used to create them are not just from 'willing volunteers'

An argument could be made that yes, the doemenels are scheming bastards, but at least they don't try to hide the fact  :-

In the end, besides being locked out of a faction because of the wonky way the quests for them are set up - there's nothing to stop any character from joining any of the 3 factions so it all comes down to RP i guess - people should just join whatever faction they are happy with and/or what feels best for their character.  :shrugz:

Edited by Xosmi

xosmi.gif

On a side note, I found the Dozens' rep's "colorful" language to be more than a little unacceptable.  I realize that it helped make him look even more like a raving lunatic, but that doesn't change my view that it really should have no place in a game that kids could play.

So what's your opinion on trees full of hanging corpses and the ability to perform human sacrifice in a game kids could play?

• Like 7