Cut content: Durance and Grieving Mother

I think we should be glad that it got changed. If Avellone fully wrote the characters, he would've turned them into irritating mouth pieces that are always right and you can't argue with (Kreia, anyone?).

You've got other examples beside Kreia? Because Durance and Grieving Mother already feels like Kreia split in two, with Durance getting all the politics and morals that some people hated from Kreia, and giving the player the opportunity to just shred him.

I think we should be glad that it got changed. If Avellone fully wrote the characters, he would've turned them into irritating mouth pieces that are always right and you can't argue with (Kreia, anyone?).

You've got other examples beside Kreia? Because Durance and Grieving Mother already feels like Kreia split in two, with Durance getting all the politics and morals that some people hated from Kreia, and giving the player the opportunity to just shred him.

Well, there's also Ulysses. Just as condescending and obnoxious.

Regarding the mind dungeons, it would be cool (as in: "really ****ing amazingly cool") if that would involve some inception-type of plot, where you can basicly try to manipulate the soul of someone to do whatever you feel is right, without the person you "invaded" noticing any external manipulation.

There's so many possibilities with that idea alone... I really wonder why they discarded this idea and I really, really hope we will see this in the sequel or expansion.

You already do that, they never "discarded" that idea. When you meet Grieving Mother she doesn't even know or notice that you're looking at her soul, and the narrative text states that you could manipulate or violate her soul in any way you pleased and she'd never know the difference. Also when dealing with Icantha in Heritage Hill, you can destroy her pride directly through the soul and she's none the wiser.

Besides, what you're talking about is exactly what Grieving Mother did to an unknown number of people, she manipulated or destroyed parts of mothers' souls if there was some element that would cause them not to love their children.

Exactly. But there is no "visual dungeon" involved in this. In fact, it's just mere flavour text, which is boring. All of this is delivered completely uninspiring via walls of text. I'd love to have more interactivity here, especially for major events, like eliminating all of GM's memories.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there's also Ulysses. Just as condescending and obnoxious.
Agreed about kreia she was so boring. Ulysses was full of himself and didnt make much sense (avellones writing?) but he was a cool boss to hunt down.

Was Avellone hurt that his work was cut from POE and rage quit?

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

• 1 month later...

Durance & Grieving Mother are my favorite characters in the game so far.   Grieving Mother has given me the emotionaly drive I need to finish the game on POTD, TOI.   She complelely captures my imagination. 

Without Durance & Grieving Mother, I probably would've stopped playing the game. I'm currently halfway through Act 2 I think.

Now that I think about it, I think I like Grieving Mother just a tad bit more than Durance, we're talking 51/49 here.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.