Review after completing POE on Normal Difficulty

I just completed the game on normal difficulty.  Here is my feedback:

TL;DR:

Pillars of Eternity is EXACTLY what i signed up for when i kickstarted the game.  If you like reading, a good story, character creation, and the old school Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale combat system..you will love Pillars of Eternity.

LONGER VERSION:

First, the Bad..

so just to be completely objective.. here are the issues i had with POE:

pathing.  one of the best examples i can give.. rest at the inn in Twin Elms.  then try and exit the inn by simply clicking on the stairs button (i.e. dont move the characters at all. just click the button).  see what happens :)

VO stopping mid-conversation.  there were many times the VO would be going.. you'd hit "Continue".. and then the VO stopped.. then a little later it would start again.  IMO, i would prefer the following - VO be removed completely.. OR certain characters are COMPLETELY voiced, while others werent voiced at all.. OR.. at the very least entire conversations were voiced.  there were no conversations that were just partially voiced.

no in game option to respec story companions.  yes, i understand there are ways around this... but i believe it should have been in the game from the start.  IMO, some of the best storylines and dialogue come from the companions and its a shame that we cant customize them the way we want without using workarounds.

really thats about it..  most of the issues ive found in the game were minor and really just nitpicks..but, again, i dont want to overly gush over POE.. there are things we can do to make POE a better game.. these are the things that stuck out most for me.

now onto the good...

First off, the story.  the main story was pretty great, as were the side missions.. without going into spoilers i can say that every area had interesting quests.. there really wasnt that "kill 10 rats" quest that you get with today's games.. each quest  felt like it had a purpose, and the writing.. even for the smaller tasks was well done.  there is a particular side quest in Ondra's Gift that involves a child and highlights the fantastic writing to the Nth degree.  if you havent done that quest.. you are missing out on one of the more powerful moments in the game.. at least it was for me.

the combat is what i expected.. and thats a good thing.. the combat is tactical in that you have stuff like flanking, positioning (which admittedly can be kinda frustrating depending on how the game is behaving), damage reduction, spell decisions, etc.. all of these variables can come into play.. even on normal difficulty.  also, the game doesnt hand hold you.. sometimes you are going to get into combat with mobs that are too strong for your current level.  you actually have to backtrack.  this is a good thing.

ive also done a couple of the dragon fights (i didnt do them all on my first playthrough since i plan on playing this game many times :) ).. those are also pretty cool.  my only gripe is that it seems you basically have to stunlock them to win.  if they get off even just a couple of attacks you are pretty much screwed.  this isnt a complaint on difficulty.. i would have just liked a couple of different ways to tackle them.  as it is.. its craft paralysis scrolls or use dominate spells.. and hope they dont make their saving throws.

the companions were enjoyable.  every companion i came into contact with had a very good storyline attached to them.. i also enjoyed the party banter.  if you havent put Eder and Sagani together in your party yet.. you should :)  it was also cool that you could completely overlook the companions, and not have them in your party at all.. in fact, i totally missed the paladin companion my first playthrough.  again. hooray for a game that doesnt hand hold you.. and doesnt force you into have NPCs in your party that you dont want.

one item that has been kind of contested is the way monsters give experience.. i.e. its only up to a certain amount.. once the bestiary entry has been filled.. no more xp for that monster.. me, im ok with this.  this isnt a JRPG where grinding is a focus.  also, there are only 12 levels in the game, and as many on this forum have pointed out.. you can reach that level fairly quickly.  thus, in this instance i think the xp system works.  plus, its kind of a unique system.

one other item that has been somewhat contested is gear.  it has been said that there really isnt any gear that makes you feel super powerful.  and i guess i can see that.. but this isnt diablo.  the point of the game is not to get the best gear and kill billions of monsters.  the point of the game is to explore, do side quests, go out adventuring with various companions, etc.  this really isnt a gear based game.  also, this game isnt mass effect 2.  inventory still plays a roll.  there are PLENTY of unique items.. not only in the world.. but also that can be purchased.. and these items CAN modify how your character performs.  the stats might not be +50 to might.. but bonuses are still there and some of the unique properties they can give to your character are pretty great (woodskin, various spells, summons, etc)..  overall, im ok with how the gear system works.

i guess one area of improvement for gear is in regards to the dragons.. i killed two of them.. the one in Twin Elms and the one in Ode Nua.. yes, the one in Ode Nua DID give you some unique gear.. but the one in Twin Elms gave me pretty much nothing.. just a couple of monster parts.  i would have liked it if you got more gear from the dragons.. otherwise.. as stated above.. i thought the gear system was fine and fit well with the system.

thats my review.. i dont like giving scores to games.. i think they are subjective and arbitrary.. what i can say though is that its a great game, and i hope we see more from this franchise in the future.  its great to see this genre get a revival.. i dont know about you.. but the constant COD clones and brainless cut-scene games that are dominating today's gaming scene are getting rather tiring.  lets hope publishers see that there IS a demand for these kinds of games and we can see more of them going forward.. not just in the indie scene but in the mainstream scene as well.

Edited by kalel78
  • Like 4

Okay, I'll toss in my couple cents, since I finished my run through the game last night:

Combat: Probably enough has been said and argued about Engagement already, so I won't go into detail. Suffice to say I don't care for it. Engagement aside, I found the combat as compared to the old IE games to be tedious and not a lot of fun. On the other hand, I very much liked that you could get into some serious trouble by entering areas that are over your level of capability.

Pathfinding was maddening, especially in combat. This needs work, but can, I'm sure, be fixed relatively easily.

Story: I personally found the story to be a bit... scattered? I found the delivery was very uneven, where you'd get chunks of it that would propel you onward, then have long gaps where it just didn't seem to be moving anywhere. The big chunk of story at the end felt out of place, as there was such a long gap before that where it wasn't really moved along. This really took away from any motivation I had to get engaged with the main storyline.

Scripted interactions (i.e. the story boards): brilliant idea, but needs more depth to them. Don't get me wrong, I liked them a lot. But I think they need more meat to them in expansions and sequels. A lot of potential in these, that is not fully realized.

Cutscenes: this is not unique to PoE, but I was hoping they wouldn't do it: Damnit, don't force-move my characters in a cutscene and leave them in some contrived tactically weak position when the inevitable combat starts. I ****ing hate that. Thankfully, Obs only does this a handful of times, but that's still a handful too many.

Quests: To me, this was a mixed bag. Some were very good, with a twist on the typical 'fetch' quest structure that made them quite fun. Others (too many, it seemed to me) were nothing more than 'fetch', 'kill', or 'fetch-and-kill' quests, and those are disappointing. I expected better from Obs.

In relation to this are the dialog interactions where your ability scores or your disposition come into play. I love the idea. The execution... not so much. It seems that there really wasn't a whole lot of point to choosing [honest] over [stoic] or [diplomatic] most of the time, as it seemed to lead to the same resolution. Very little difference in the outcomes, anyway, as far as I could tell.

And the ones that you could use your ability scores in: things like Perception or Resolve. Again, I love the idea, but it's a serious, serious let-down to choose that [Resolve 16] option and instantly be able to convince those guys to stand down (being vague here so as not to involve spoilers). It should take multiple checks and different dialog choices to convince someone to completely switch gears. Many of these resolutions seemed way to easy. Almost to the point of being laughable.

Exploration: I liked how there were some areas where you could get into places in more than one manner. I liked the various environments as well, and some of the maps were very good. And I really enjoyed the nod to the BG games in that you had to travel to the east edge of the map to open the next map to the east, etc. But overall, I found many of the maps were quite small and not overly compelling.

I actually enjoyed the idea of the Stronghold and don't really think it's as bad as many people say. But I do think there is a lot of unfulfilled potential there.

The Endless Paths? I appreciate the fact that they put in a dungeon with no other purpose than to wade through encounters and collect loot. And they fulfilled the kickstarter promise of the mega-dungeon. But... I personally have to agree with others that say they'd rather have not had a mega-dungeon at all and put those resources into shoring up other areas of the game.

Items/Gear: Have to say I'm in the camp that thinks a lot of the items are 'meh'. While I'm not looking for mounds of uber-gear, I'd love to have seen more items that you could find parts for and reforge or make yourself. Something noticeably more powerful than most of the items you find or buy.

On a related note: Crafting: I'm not a big fan of crafting in games, but I have to say the simplistic crafting system in PoE was something I could probably get to enjoy. But it needs a few tweaks. First, you should be able to disenchant (I couldn't care less whether or not you get the ingredients back) so you can upgrade when you have only 1 or 2 slots left. For example, you have an Exceptional weapon with 10/12 slots taken. You should be able to remove the Exceptional enchantment so you can upgrade to Superb. Or at least allow the override to take into account the slots the original enchantment used. Secondly, if you can find a property on a weapon or armor, allow the player to be able to enchant that property as well. If this involved finding rare ingredients, or having to destroy an item with that property in order to learn the recipe (or both), that would be great. But I hate having things show up on gear that you can't get access to in some fashion.

Companions: Take this with a grain of salt, since I really only picked up Sagani, as she was one of two that I was most excited about when the game was released (I'm a sucker for Dwarfs). Unfortunately, I didn't find her compelling enough to make me decide to drop my self-made party members and grab the others. I did finish her quest though, but found it was just okay. Maybe it was just her, but I didn't find there was a lot of good reactivity, nor did I find the character writing all that great. I'm considering trying another run of the game (although I'm more inclined to play something else right now) and maybe give the others a shot. Oh, and I did Kana's quest in one of my unfinished runs. I found it thoroughly disappointing. Shame, as I liked him better than I thought I would. But his quest just kind of fizzles out.

Two Large Cities: Well, that's debatable, but that aside... I found Defiance Bay to be disappointing. The only area that seemed to have a lot of content was Ondra's Gift. First Fires and Brackenbury were disappointingly small, and Heritage Hill I found very content-light as well. Not what I was expecting from a city that was supposedly going to be content-rich and rival Baldur's Gate. Twin Elms was not too bad, although I'm not a big fan of the barbarian village vibe in general. Both areas missed a lot of potential though, IMO.

Loading screens: ye gods, you have to transition in city areas and some other places (stronghold) so many times. The loading times need to be addressed in a serious way. It killed a lot of any kind of enjoyment I may have had in Defiance Bay. And I didn't even bother resting or shopping at the Stronghold because of the loading times.

Okay, this has gone on longer than I planned. Overall I found the game to be a lot of missed potential. Some things can't be substantially changed without a massive overhaul of the entire game system (Engagement, I'm looking at you) but that's okay. In the long run, despite some of the things I don't like and probably never will, Obs has a real chance of realizing this massive potential in sequels and expansions. I hope they do. They're more than capable of it, and they've got the foundations laid. So did I get the game I was hoping for when I backed it so long ago? Nope. But I'm optimistic that more in the series, whether that be expansions or sequels, will end up being something I do really like. I certainly don't regret tossing my money at the game, even if it just means that more games of this style will be made in the near future.

• Like 2

<snip>

you make some fair points.. though i didnt see the "fetch" quests as much as you.. i saw a few "check on the caravan" quests or "get the parts to this item for me".. but i felt those quests had a purpose to them.  thats just me.

however, the real reason i wanted to comment is in regards to the engagement system.. i personally really like it.  maybe its because i play pen and paper games a lot.. but i LOVE the fact that there is a bit of that system in a video game.. in fact.. i wish there was MORE of it.  yes, its a bit to get used to in a video game.. but if you just think of it in pen and paper game terms.. it works.. the one area i dont like as much when it comes to the engagement system is the "+1 engagement" stat.. and the reason is.. you can min/max that to your advantage quite easily and then the fights can become fairly easy. but other than that.. i really dont see what all the fuss is about.

also, to take this a step further.. what i really hope to see is a game like this set in the pathfinder system.  IMO, that is THE BEST version of D&D 3.5 thats currently released.  i think it would be fantastic to see it translated to the video game realm.  it sure wouldnt be that difficult to do.

• Like 2

heh your problem is that you bothered to play this extra easy game on normal probably with a full party that just means that your opinion is null of a casual scrub  and these games should never be made for casual scrubs 

what are you even talking about.. if you are trolling.. it worked because i replied.. but if you are serious... all i can say is... huh????

edit:  and as for this game being "easy".. so im assuming you have a photo of your triple crown achievement and can post it right?  no?  thats what i thought.

Edited by kalel78
  • Like 1

Clearly troling, but I agree with him >.<  

The game on hard was a steep difficulty slide after Raedrick's castle (which was cool, btw).  ALL of act 2 was a snooze fest for me, combat-wise.  And this isn't some e-peen contest thing, I was legitimately disheartened and bored.  Some of it was the lack of challenge, some was from the lack of variety of enemy types.  All the fights had a feel of 'sameness' that really lessened my enjoyment.  The bounties were cool but all the other fights were of little interest.  I actually felt required to hack the game with IE mod to change it to PotD difficulty which helped the difficulty if not the blandness.

As for OP's mention of itemization.  No one is looking for +50 might, that would actually be an example of LAZY itemization (which makes me wonder if you've played a game with good items like bg2).  An INTERESTING item does something that you can't already do with spells/talents.  So, for example, the figurines are reasonably interesting.  The druid dagger that procs lightning touch is a so-so example.  It's still a spell from the game, but at least it's more interesting than the boring +15% damage that's on most of the gear.

Part of the issue is the enchanting system kind of stole the thunder from items found.  W/o enchanting if you found something with +20% damage to Kith, that would seem kinda cool.  As it stands it's sorta boring because you could have made that already on whatever item you want.

heh your problem is that you bothered to play this extra easy game on normal probably with a full party that just means that your opinion is null of a casual scrub  and these games should never be made for casual scrubs 

3c09d14adcdd6626599b630020298af374a0fd83

• Like 6

Clearly troling, but I agree with him >.<  

The game on hard was a steep difficulty slide after Raedrick's castle (which was cool, btw).  ALL of act 2 was a snooze fest for me, combat-wise.  And this isn't some e-peen contest thing, I was legitimately disheartened and bored.  Some of it was the lack of challenge, some was from the lack of variety of enemy types.  All the fights had a feel of 'sameness' that really lessened my enjoyment.  The bounties were cool but all the other fights were of little interest.  I actually felt required to hack the game with IE mod to change it to PotD difficulty which helped the difficulty if not the blandness.

As for OP's mention of itemization.  No one is looking for +50 might, that would actually be an example of LAZY itemization (which makes me wonder if you've played a game with good items like bg2).  An INTERESTING item does something that you can't already do with spells/talents.  So, for example, the figurines are reasonably interesting.  The druid dagger that procs lightning touch is a so-so example.  It's still a spell from the game, but at least it's more interesting than the boring +15% damage that's on most of the gear.

Part of the issue is the enchanting system kind of stole the thunder from items found.  W/o enchanting if you found something with +20% damage to Kith, that would seem kinda cool.  As it stands it's sorta boring because you could have made that already on whatever item you want.

There's a ton of items with special abilities you can't get from enchanting--bash, spell strike, coordinating, disorienting, etc. You can't get these abilities on any item except the ones you find it with. The figurines are actually one of the worst examples of that, as you can summon creatures with a Chanter or a Druid. What you seem to be wanting is not an interesting and unique item, it's a Crom Faeyr-type item.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 2

Bash was cool!  Not particularly effective, but cool. 

Spell strike I actually mentioned. 

Coordinating and disorientating are ok too but at least admit this stuff is in the tiny minority.  95% of the non-worthless gear is of the enchant-makable variety.  And of the few non-reproducable ones I found, half of them were bugged and not working :/

Crom Faeyr is awesome but that's hardly the only example to pull!  Daystar, The Drinker, Mace of Disruption, Celestial Fury, Belm, The Equalizer, Harrowing Redeemer, Impaler, etc. etc. etc.. just off the top of my head BG2 has a pleathora of interesting weapons in it which put PoE to shame.  (to be fair, they put many rpgs to shame, but come on, lets learn from the past!)

PoE's complete de-emphasis on counter-play and powerful status effects have somewhat tied their hands on available options.  Negative plane protection and Mindshield protections were super useful in BG2 because those effects mattered!  While you could put anti-blind stuff on PoE equipment it wouldn't matter that much because the durations are short and the enemy AI hardly does anything but rush headlong into the meatgrinder.

Edited by Cronstintein

Bash was cool!  Not particularly effective, but cool. 

Spell strike I actually mentioned. 

Coordinating and disorientating are ok too but at least admit this stuff is in the tiny minority.  95% of the non-worthless gear is of the enchant-makable variety.  And of the few non-reproducable ones I found, half of them were bugged and not working :/

Crom Faeyr is awesome but that's hardly the only example to pull!  Daystar, The Drinker, Mace of Disruption, Celestial Fury, Belm, The Equalizer, Harrowing Redeemer, Impaler, etc. etc. etc.. just off the top of my head BG2 has a pleathora of interesting weapons in it which put PoE to shame.  (to be fair, they put many rpgs to shame, but come on, lets learn from the past!)

PoE's complete de-emphasis on counter-play and powerful status effects have somewhat tied their hands on available options.  Negative plane protection and Mindshield protections were super useful in BG2 because those effects mattered!  While you could put anti-blind stuff on PoE equipment it wouldn't matter that much because the durations are short and the enemy AI hardly does anything but rush headlong into the meatgrinder.

TBF, Baldur's Gate 2 is much higher-level, relatively, than PoE, which leaves space for a lot more variety in effects. I think PoE has better loot in general than BG 1 did.

• Like 1

BG items with uniqueish effects or that are named

• Studded Leather Armor +2, Missile Attraction:  AC 15 vs Missiles
  • Shadow Armor: +15% Hide in Shadows
  • Knave's Robe: +1 AC vs Slashing, +1 Save vs Death
  • Robe of the Good/Neutral/Evil Archmagi: +5% magic res., +1 saving throws
  • Bracers AC 8
  • Bracers AC 7
  • Bracers AC 6
  • Bracers of Archery: THACO +2 (Missiles only)
  • Cloak of the Wolf: Polymorph into a wolf at will
  • Cloak of Non-Detection: Nondetectable by magical means
  • Algernon's Cloak: Charisma +2
  • Nymph Cloak: Charisma +2
  • Cloak of Balduran: +1 Saves, +25% magic res.
  • Large Shield +1, +4 vs Missiles: +5 AC bonus against missiles
  • Helmet of Infravision: Infravision, Protects Against Critical Hits
  • Helmet of Defense: Saves +1, +20% Fire, Cold, and Elec. Res., Protects Against Critical Hits
  • Helmet of Glory: Charisma +1, Protects Against Critical Hits
  • Helm of Balduran: THACO +1, HPMax +5, Protects Against Critical Hits
  • Gauntlets of Dexterity: 18 Dexterity
  • Gauntlets of Fumbling: THACO -10, Dex. -2
  • Gauntlets of Weapon Skill: THACO +1
  • Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise: THACO +1, Dam. +2
  • Gauntlets of Ogre Power: 18/00 Strength
  • Necklace of Missiles: Causes 6-36 damage
  • Shield Amulet: 4 base AC, +2 AC bonus vs missiles
  • Amulet of Metaspell Influence: One extra second level mage spell
  • Ring of Holiness: One extra cleric spell for levels 1-4
  • Ring of Infravision: Infravision
  • Ring of Energy: 2-12 damage to one enemy
  • Ring of Animal Friendship: Charm Animal
  • Ring of Folly: 3 Intelligence, 3 Wisdom
  • Ring of Clumsiness: -50% Dex, -50% Stealth, 75% chance of spell failure
  • Ring of Wizardry: Double number of 1st level mage spells
  • Ring of Free Action: Immune to anything that effects mobility
  • Ring of Fire Resistance: +40% Fire Resistance
  • Claw of Kazgaroth: Improves saving throws, -2 constitution
  • Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity: Changes gender
  • Girdle of Piercing: AC Bonus +3 vs Piercing
  • Girdle of Bluntness: +4 AC vs Blunt Weapons
  • Golden Girdle: +3 AC vs slashing weapons
  • Boots of Avoidance: AC +5 vs Missile
  • Boots of Grounding: Electricity Res. +50%
  • Boots of Stealth: +35 Stealth
  • Boots of the North: +50% Cold Resistance
  • Boots of Speed: Increases movement speed
  • Dagger of Venom: THACO +2, 6 poison dam. per round
  • Dagger +2, Longtooth: THACO +2
  • Bastard Sword +1, +3 vs Shapeshifters: +1 THACO, +2 dam vs shapeshifters
  • The Vampire's Revenge: THACO +1, Inflict damage on user, heals target
  • Moonblade: THACO +3, AC +1, Fire Res +50%
  • Short Sword of Backstabbing: THACO +3
  • Scimitar +3, Frostbrand: THACO +3
  • Scimitar +5, Defender: THACO +3, +2 AC Bonus
  • Spear +3, Backbiter: THACO +3,3 Dam. againts wielder for every successful hit
  • Spider's Bane: THACO +2, Free Action
  • Two Handed Sword Cursed Berserking +3: THACO +3, Wielder goes Berserk
  • Long Bow of Marksmanship: THACO +3
  • Light Crossbow of Speed: THACO +1, +1 attack per round
  • Throwing Axe +2: THACO +2, Returns to user's hands once thrown

Special ammunition offered some additional once per ammunition effects for missile weapons but they weren't unique so I don't list them here

Same for PoE:

• Dîal Ewn Dibita: Accurate 1: +5 Accuracy Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Vicious: x1.2 Damage against Prone, Stunned, Flanked enemies
  • Blesca's Labor: Accurate 1: +5 Accuracy, Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 Damage, Coordinating: +4 Accuracy and x1.25 Damage when attacking same target as an ally, 
  • Draining: 20% of Damage restored as Endurance
  • March Steel Dagger: Accurate: +5 Accuracy Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed
  • Semper's Faithful Dagger: Accurate: +5 Accuracy Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage
  • Aattuuk: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage Accurate: +5 Accuracy Predatory: +10% of Hits converted to Crits
  • Drawn in Spring: Accurate: +5 Accuracy Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 Damage Wounding: x0.25 Damage over time (5 sec)
  • Gaun's Share: Convert Graze to Hit: +30% of Grazes converted to Hits Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Draining: 20% of Damage restored as Endurance
  • Unforgiven: Convert Graze to Hit: +30% of Grazes converted to Hits Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed Burning Lash: +25% Burn Damage
  • Starcaller: Convert Graze to Hit: +30% of Grazes converted to Hits Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage Stunning: Attacks can Stun on Crits Spell Striking: Minoletta's Minor Missiles: Grants Minoletta's Minor Missiles
  • Measured Restraint: Accurate 1: +5 Accuracy Guarding: +1 Enemies Engaged Accurate 3: +12 Accuracy
  • Sword of Daenysis: Accurate 1: +5 Accuracy Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed Rending: 3 DR bypass
  • Vierina's Leaves: Accurate 1: +5 Accuracy Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 Damage Vicious: x1.2 Damage against Prone, Stuned, Flanked enemies
  • Fortanero's Rapier: Accurate 1: +5 Accuracy Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage
  • Hearth Harvest: Interfering: +5 Deflection Burning Lash: +25% Burn Damage Rending: 3 DR bypass
  • Rêghar Konnek: Interfering: +5 Deflection Slaying (Kith): +5 Accuracy and x1.25 Damage against Human, Elf, Dwarf, Godlike, Orlan, Aumaua Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed Predatory: +10% of Hits converted to Crits
  • Misery's End: DR Reduction: 3 DR bypass Accurate 3: +12 Accuracy Vicious: x 1.2 Damage against Proned, Stunned or Flanked enemies
  • Bleak Fang: DR Reduction: 3 DR bypass Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage Spell Striking: Touch of Rot: Grants Touch of Rot Rending: 3 DR bypass
  • Azureith's Stiletto: DR Reduction: 3 DR bypass Spell Striking: Jolting Touch: Grants Jolting Touch
  • Oidhreacht: Damaging 1: x1.15 Damage Draining: 20% of Damage restored as Endurance DR Reduction: 3 DR bypass
  • Rimecutter: Bonus Crit Damage: +.5 to Crit Damage multiplier Speed: x1.2 attack Speed Freezing Lash: +25% Freeze Damage
  • Wē Toki: Bonus Crit Damage: +.5 to Crit Damage multiplier Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.30 Damage Overbearing: Critics can inflict Prone
  • Silver Crow Axe: Bonus Crit Damage: +.5 to Crit Damage multiplier Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.30 Damage
  • Edge of Reason: Bonus Crit Damage: +.5 to Crit Damage multiplier Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 Damage Draining: 20% Damage restored as Endurance
  • Ravenwing: DR Reduction: 3 DR bypass Damaging 3: x1.45 Damage Coordinating: x1.25 Damage and +4 Accuracy when attacking same enemy as an ally
  • Aimoranet: DR Reduction: 3 DR bypass Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 Damage Major Spellbind: grants Restore Moderate Stamina
  • Hanover's Fist of Dodm: DR Reduction: 3 DR bypass Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage
  • Resolution: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Reliable: +20% Grazes to Hits Annihilation: +0.5 Crit Damage multiplier
  • The Flames of Fair Rhîan: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.30 Damage Burning Lash: +25% Burn Damage Major Spellbind: Fireball
  • Purgatory: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.30 Damage Draining: 20 % Damage restored as Endurance Annihilation: +0.5 to Critical Hit multiplier
  • Sword of Prix: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.30 Damage
  • Ritezzi's Thorn: Accurate: +5 Accuracy Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Crushing Lash: + 25 % Crush damage Valiant: x 1.2 Damage and +10 Accuracy when below 50 % Endurance
  • Danulya: Accurate: +5 Accuracy Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.30 Damage Speed: x1.2 attack Speed
  • Cladhalíath: Accurate: +5 Accuracy, dependant on crafting choices
  • Treave's Conqueror Spear: Accurate: +5 Accuracy Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.30 Damage
  • The Vile Loner's Lance: Accurate: +5 Accuracy Fine +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Disorienting: Inflicts -5 All Defenses for 6 sec on Hit
  • Delem Raŵdha: Accurate: +5 Accuracy Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 Damage Slaying (Primordial): x 1.25 Damage and +5 Accuracy when attacking primordial enemies.
  • Shame or Glory: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Valiant : + 10 Accuracy when below 50% Endurance, x1.2 Damage when below 50% Endurance Marking: + 10 Accuracy granted to an ally attacking the same target
  • Lysandra's Blade: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.30 Damage
  • Darcozzi Paladini's Longsword of In'claene: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.30 Damage
  • Cat's Claw: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.30 Damage Rending: 3 DR bypass
  • Sheathed in Autumn: Superb: + 12 Accuracy, x 1.45 Damage Freezing Lash: + 25% Freeze damage Guarding: +1 enemy engaged
  • Whispers of Yenwood: Reliable: +20% of Grazes converted to Hits Slaying (Spirit): +5 Accuracy and 1.25x Damage against Spirits Of Will -3: -3 Will
  • Shatterstar: Fine : x 1.15 Damage and + 4 Accuracy Annihilation : + 0.5 Crit damage multiplier Guarding : + 1 enemy Engaged
  • Haba's Hammer: Exceptional : x 1.3 damage and + 8 Accuracy
  • Jarpie's Warhammer: Exceptional : x 1.3 damage and + 8 Accuracy
  • Strike Hard: Exceptional : x 1.3 damage and + 8 Accuracy Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed Disorienting : -5 to all defenses for 5 sec
  • Godansthunyr: of Might +1 Stunning : can stun on Critical Hits Fine : x1.15 damage and +4 Accuracy
  • The White Spire: DR Reduction: 5 DR bypass Disorienting: Inflicts -5 All Defenses for 6 sec on Hit Minor Spellbind: Blizzard: Grants Blizzard
  • Drake's Bell: DR Reduction: 5 DR bypass Rending: 3 DR bypass Burn-Proofed: +3 Damage Reduction (Burn) Slaying (Beast): +5 Accuracy against Beast, x1.25 Damage against Beast
  • Blade of the Endless Paths: DR Reduction: 5 DR bypass Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 Damage Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed Marking: +10 Accuracy granted to an ally attacking the same target
  • The Hours of St. Rumbalt: Annihilation: +0.5 to Critical Hit Damage multiplier Overbearing: Critical Hit can inflict Prone Accurate 3: +12 Accuracy
  • Gilt Blade of Lorn: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage
  • Justice: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Crushing Lash: +25% Crush Damage
  • The Temaperacl: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Corrosive Lash: +25% Corrode Damage Overbearing: Critical Hit can inflict Prone
  • The Rose of Salthollow: Corrosive Lash: +25% Corrode Damage Draining: 20% of Damage restored as Endurance Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage
  • Mabec's Morning Star: DR Reduction: 3 DR bypass Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Stunning: Attacks can Stun on Critical Hit Slaying (Wilder): +5 Accuracy and x1.25 Damage against Wilder
  • Crate's Remorse: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage
  • Daybreak: Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 Damage Guarding: +1 enemies Engaged Slaying (Wilder): +5 Accuracy and x1.25 Damage against Wilder
  • Jêna's Lance: Increased Reach: +1.8 Weapon Reach Of Constitution +1: Constitution +1 Reliable: +20% of Grazes converted to Hits
  • Lost Thayn's Reach: Increased Reach: +1.8 Weapon Reach Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage Interfering: Inflicts -5 Accuracy for 5 sec on Hit
  • Tall Grass: Increased Reach: +1.8 Weapon Reach Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage Predatory: +10% of Hits converted to Crits Overbearing: Crits can inflict Prone
  • Spectacular Spetum: Fine : + 4 Accuracy x 1.15 Damage Marking : + 10 accuracy to an ally attacking the same target Guarding : + 1 enemies Engaged
  • Traitor's Merit: Execptional : x1.50 damage and +8 Accuracy Predatory : +10% Hits to Crit Range Vicious : x1.2 Damage against Proned, Stunned or Flanked enemies
  • Half-Mast: Superb : x 1.45 damage and + 12 Accuracy Overbearing : Critical Hits can Prone
  • Guildmaster's Staff: Minor Spellbind : Restore Minor Endurance
  • Llawran's Stick: Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage
  • Wend-Walker: Superb : x 1.75 damage and + 12 Accuracy Guarding : +1 enemy Engaged Freezing Lash : + 50 % freeze damage
  • Durance’s Staff: Increased Reach: +1.8 Weapon Reach Burning Lash: +25% Burn Damage
  • Taluntain’s Staff: Increased Reach: +1.8 Weapon Reach
  • Persistence: Damaging 3: x1.45 Damage Reliable: +20% Grazes to Hits Wounding: x.25 Damage inflicted over time (5 sec)
  • Crooked Bee Bow: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 All Damage
  • Prey Maker: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 All Damage Accurate 3: +12 Accuracy Ranger only
  • Lenas Êr: Superb: + 12 Accuracy, x 1.45 Damage Rending: 3 DR bypass Disorienting: Inflicts - 5 All defenses for 5 sec on Hit
  • Borresaine: x 1.25 damage + 4 Accuracy 20 % Damage restored as Endurance Attacks can Stun on Critical Hit
  • Cloudpiercer: Spell Striking: Jolting Touch: Grants Jolting Touch Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 damage Rending: 3 DR bypass
  • The Rain of Godagh Field: Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 All Damage Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed
  • Good Friend: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage
  • Coordinating: +4 accuracy and x1.25 Damage when attacking same enemy as an ally. Minor Spellbind: Holy Power: grants Holy Power
  • Wendgär: Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 All Damage Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed Predatory: +10% of Hits converted to Crits
  • Hold-Wall: Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed  Reduced Crit Damage: Crits can inflict Prone, -0.3 to Crit Damage multiplier
  • Aedrin's Wrecker: Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 Damage Stunning: Attacks can Stun on Critical Hit Reduced Crit Damage: Crits can inflict Prone, -0.3 to Crit Damage multiplier
  • Lead Spitter: Damaging 2: x 1.3 damage Rending: 3 DR bypass DR Reduction: 4 DR bypass, -0.3 to Crit Damage multiplier
  • Scon Mica's Roar: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage Disorienting: Inflicts - 5 All Defenses for 5 sec on hit Reliable: 20% Grazes converted to Hits DR Reduction: 4 DR bypass, -0.3 to Crit Damage multiplier
  • Dulcanale: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage Annihilation: +0.5 Critical Hit damage multiplier Rending: +3 DR bypass DR Reduction: 6 DR bypass, -0.3 Crit Damage multiplier
  • Forgiveness: Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed Damaging 1: x1.15 All Damage DR Reduction: 6 DR bypass
  • The Disappointer: Terrible: -8 Accuracy, x0.66 All Damage DR Reduction: 6 DR bypass
  • The Maverick: DR Reduction: 6 DR bypass Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 All Damage
  • Sitra Achara: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage DR Reduction: 6 DR bypass, -0.3 Crit Damage multiplier
  • St. Garam's Spark: Marking: +10 Accuracy granted to an ally attacking the same target DR Reduction: 6 DR bypass, -0.3 to Crit Damage multiplier Shocking Lash: + 25% Shock Damage
  • Long-Feller: Accurate 3: +12 Accuracy Reliable: +10% Grazes to Hits range DR Reduction: 6 DR bypass, -0.3 to Crit Damage multiplier
  • Skuphundaku's Evil Black Arquebus: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage DR Reduction: 6 DR bypass, -0.3 to Crit Damage multiplier
  • Pliambo per Casitàs: Exceptional: + 8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage
  • Marking: + 10 Accuracy for allies that are attacking the same enemy Disorienting: Inflicts - 5 All Defenses for 5 sec on hit DR Reduction: 6 DR bypass, -0.3 to Crit Damage multiplier
  • Elawen Ein: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.25 Damage Interfering: Inflicts -5 Accuracy for 5 sec on Hit Freezing Lash: +25% Freeze Damage
  • Cgadob's Hazel: Exceptional: +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage Marking: +10 Accuracy to an ally that attack the same target Spell Striking: Jolting Touch: grants Jolting Touch
  • Engwithan Scepter: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 All Damage Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed
  • The Lady's Hand: +4 Accuracy x1.15 Damage +10 Accuracy when below 50% Endurance x1.2 Damage when below 50% Endurance 20% of Grazes converted to Hits
  • Puitènte med Príncipi: Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 All Damage Reliable: +10% of Grazes converted to Hits Overbearing: Crits can infl ict Prone
  • Grudge-Keeper: Vicious: x1.2 Damage against Prone, Stunned, Flanked enemies Fine: + 4 Accuracy, x1.15 Damage
  • Pike Jaw Rod: Fine: +4 Accuracy, x1.15 All Damage
  • Rod of Pale Shades: Exceptional +8 Accuracy, x1.3 Damage Disorienting: Inflicts -5 to all Defenses for 5 sec on Hit Stunning: Attacks can Stun on Crits
  • Pretty Pretty's Rib: Superb: +12 Accuracy, x1.45 All Damage Corrosive Lash: +25% Corrode Damage Speed: x1.2 Attack Speed
  • Ring of Eternal Funding: +5 copper per Stronghold turn
  • Seal of Faith: Priest Spell Level 1 uses +1 Priest Spell Level 2 uses +1 Priest Spell Level 3 uses +1
  • Ring of Searing Flames: Grants Combusting Wounds
  • Ring of the Selonan: Wizard Spell Level 1 uses +2 Wizard Spell Level 3 uses +2
  • Telda's Ring: Wizard Spell Level 2 uses +2 Wizard Spell Level 4 uses +1
  • Ring of Wonder: +1 Constitution +1 Might +1 Resolve Grants Second Chance
  • Gaun’s Pledge: Grants Gaun’s Pledge
  • Pensiavi mes Rèi: Of Might +3: +3 Might
  • Ring of Unshackling: Minor Spellbind: Suppress Affliction: Grants Suppress Affliction.
  • Snerf’s Folly: Of Resolve +1: +1 Resolve Of Constitution +2: +2 Constitution
  • Serel’s Ring: Of Resolve +2: +2 Resolve
  • Bartender’s Ring: Preservation: +10 Defense while Stunned, +10 Defense while Prone
  • Ring of Thorns: Of Dexterity +3: +3 Dexterity Of Reflex +5: +5 Reflex Preservation: +10 Defense while Stunned, +10 Defense while Prone
  • Ring of Overseeing: Overseeing: x1.1 Ability Area of Effect
  • Belt of Bountiful Healing: Healing Bonus: x1.1 Healing
  • Girdle of Maegfolc Might: Of Might +3: +3 Might
  • Nature’s Embrace: Burn DR Bonus: +5 Damage Reduction (Burn) Freeze DR Bonus: +5 Damage Reduction (Freeze) Spell Holding: Woodskin: Grants Woodskin.
  • Wildstrike Belt: Wildstrike Bonus: Modifies Wildstrike Burn, Wildstrike Corrode, Wildstrike Freeze, Wildstrike Shock. 
  • Trollhide Belt: Regeneration: +1 Endurance
  • Broad Belt of Power: Of Might +2: +2 Might Of Resolve +2: +2 Resolve
  • Dyrwooden Charm Belt: Movement Rate Bonus: +0.2 Move Speed
  • Girdle of Mortal Protection: Decrease Critical Hit Damage: x0.73 Crit Damage taken
  • Berserker’s Belt: Rage Bonus: x1.2 Frenzy Duration
  • Blunting Belt: Pierce DR Bonus: +5 Damage Reduction (Pierce) Slash DR Bonus: +5 Damage Reduction (Slash)
  • Don Paco’s Codpiece of Vigor: Of Constitution +2: +2 Constitution
  • Belt of the Stelgaer: Prone Reduction: x0.66 Prone Duration Of Dexterity +2: +2 Dexterity
  • Girdle of Eotun Constitution: Of Constitution +3: +3 Constitution
  • Girdle of the Driving Wave: Minor Spellbind: Knock Down: Grants Knock Down
  • Dandy Hat of the Diseased Yak: Of Resolve +2: +2 Resolve Of Intellect -1: -1 Intellect
  • Hermit’s Hat: Of Might +1: +1 Might
  • Rugged Wilderness Hat: Survivor: +2 Survival
  • Azalin’s Helmet: Of Crit Multiplier Bonus +10%: +0.1 to Crit Damage multiplier
  • Munacra Arret: Minor Spellbind: Whisper of Treason: Grants Whisper of Treason
  • The Pilgrim’s Lasting Vigil: Of Resolve +1: +1 Resolve Of Perception +1: +1 Perception
  • Helmet of Darksee: Of Perception +2: +2 Perception
  • The Dunryd Demon: Of Intellect +2: +2 Intellect
  • Stag Helm: Athletic: +2 Athletics Of Dexterity +1: +1 Dexterity
  • Liripipe of Thinking: Stealthy: +2 Stealth Of Perception +1: +1 Perception
  • Footpad’s Hood: Stealthy: +2 Stealth Of Perception +3: +3 Perception
  • Voice of the Mountaintop: Only usable by: Chanter Chanter area of effect Bonus:x1.2 Chant Area of Effect
  • Engwithan Adra Ban Amulet: Of Might +3: +3 Might
  • Rotward Amulet: Immune Boost: x0.5 Poison effect tick rate, x0.5 Disease effect tick rate
  • Torc of the Falcon’s Eyes: Of Perception +2: +2 Perception
  • Fulvano’s Amulet: Reflex Bonus 1: +5 Reflex Healing Bonus: x1.1 Healing
  • Soulward Amulet: Of Will +5: +5 Will
  • Amulet of Health: Max Endurance Bonus: +20 Max Endurance
  • Brîshalgwin Mindmarker: Only usable by: Cipher Soul Whip Bonus: x1.1 Focus
  • Dream Dancer’s Sidestep: Of Dexterity +2: +2 Dexterity
  • Willowstone of Daenysis: Max Endurance Bonus: +20 Max Endurance
  • Glanfathan Adraswen: Lore-Giving: +2 Lore Of Dexterity +1: +1 Dexterity Of Resolve +1: +1 Resolve Of Perception +1: +1 Perception
  • Drinking Horn of Moderation: Unconquerable: +2 Intellect while Endurance above 50%, x1 Focus Gain while Endurance above 50%
  • Spellward Amulet: Spell Defense Bonus: +10 Defense against spells
  • Necklace of Fireballs: Necklace of Fireballs: Grants Fireball
  • Bradford’s Pear of Lusciousness: Spell Defense Bonus: +10 Defense against spells
  • Amulet of Summer Solstice: Minor Spellbind: Sunbeam: Grants Sunbeam
  • Amulet of Joka’te: Of Resolve +2: +2 Resolve
  • Torc of Defiance: Only usable by: Ranger Defiance: +10 Defense against Charmed attacks, +10 Defense against Confused attacks, +10 Defense against Dominated attacks Of Concentration +10: +10 Concentration
  • The Core: Of Perception +2: +2 Perception
  • Unwavering Resolve: Of Intellect +2: +2 Intellect Of Resolve +1: +1 Resolve
  • Stalker’s Torc: Only usable by: Ranger Stalker’s Link Bonus: Modifies Stalkers’ Link.
  • Talisman of the Unconquerable: Unconquerable: +2 Intellect while Endurance above 50%, x1 Focus Gain while Endurance above 50%
  • Tallan’s Amulet: Of Will +10: +10 Will
  • Cloak of the Fox and Hunter: Summon Noble Creature: Grants Summon Noble Of Will +5: +5 Will Of Reflex +10: +10 Reflex
  • Rymrgand’s Mantle: Freeze DR Bonus: +5 Damage Reduction (Freeze) Mechanic: 20% of Freeze Damage converted to Endurance
  • Shimmering Cloak: Ranged Deflection Bonus: +10 Deflection against ranged attacks Minor Spellbind: Mirrored Image: Grants Mirrored Image
  • Cloak of Prevalent Shadows: Aura of Stealth: +1 Stealth
  • Cape of Withdrawal: Disengagement Defense Bonus: +15 Defense when Disengaging
  • Cloak of the Tireless Defender: Increased Constant Recovery: Modifies Constant Recovery.
  • Cloak of Minor Missiles: Minor Spellbind: Minoletta’s Minor Missiles: Grants Minoletta’s Minor Missiles
  • Mantle of the Dying Boar: Dying Boar: +5 Endurance, +4 Will
  • Shroud of Mourning: Of Resolve +3: +3 Resolve Corrode-Proofed: +3 Damage Reduction (Corrode) Freeze-Proofed: +3 Damage Reduction (Freeze)
  • Lilith’s Shawl: Aura of Stealth: +1 Stealth Of Perception +3: +3
  • Erij’s Radiance: Only usable by: Paladin Of Intellect +2: +2 Intellect
  • Cloak of an Eothasian Priest: Of Will +10: +10 Will
  • Cloak of Many Feathers: Of Dexterity +1: +1 Dexterity Athletic: +2 Athletics
  • Cloak of the Theocrat: Of Intellect +1: +1 Intellect Of Resolve +1: +1 Resolve
  • Finreah’s Grace: Of Dexterity +3: +3 Dexterity
  • Mantle of Wreathing Flame: Aura of Wreathing Flame: Grants Wreathing Flame
  • Hiro’s Mantle: Retaliation: Retaliate when hit by a Melee Attack Crush-Proofed: +3 Damage Reduction (Crush) Pierce-Proofed: +3 Damage Reduction (Pierce)
  • Gauntlets of Ogre Might: Of Might +2: +2 Might
  • Healing Hands: Minor Spellbind: Restore Light Endurance: Grants Restore Light Endurance
  • Gauntlets of Accuracy: Accurate 2: +5 Accuracy
  • Blood Testament: Bonus Melee Damage from Wounds: 2% Raw Damage per Wound
  • Rabbit Fur Gloves: Of Crit Multiplier Bonus +10%: +0.1 to Crit Damage multiplier
  • Spiderfingers: Minor Spellbind: Restore Light Endurance: Grants Restore Light Endurance Of Perception +1: +1 Perception
  • Bracers of Spiritual Power: Spell Damage Multiplier: x1.2 Spell Damage
  • Gauntlets of Swift Action: Speed: +1.1 Move Speed
  • Fulvano’s Gloves: Of Refl ex +5: +5 Reflex
  • Gauntlets of Puissant Melee: Melee Damage Bonus: +10 Melee Damage
  • Killer’s Work: Only usable by: Rogue Finishing Blow Bonus: x1.1 Finishing Blow Damage
  • Bracers of Enduring: Of Constitution +2: +2 Constitution Of Resolve +1: +1 Resolve
  • Bracers of All-Consuming Rage: Of Might +2: +2 Might Of Constitution +1: +1 Constitution
  • Forgemaster’s Gloves: Burn DR Bonus: +5 Damage Reduction (Burn) Minor Spellbind: Firebrand: Grants Firebrand
  • Gyrges’ Gloves: Of Dexterity +1: +1 Dexterity
  • Rotfinger Gloves: Minor Spellbind: Spreading Plague: Grants Spreading Plague
  • Boots of Zealous Command: Only usable by: Paladin Zealous Command Bonus: x1.2 Zealous Aura Area of Effect
  • Fulvano’s Boots: Of Constitution +1: +1 Constitution
  • Cat’s Whisper: Only usable by: Rogue Stealthy: +2 Stealth
  • Glanfathan Stalking Boots: Sneak Attack Bonus: x1.1 Damage to Flanked targets
  • Bilestompers: Minor Spellbind: Corrosive Cloud Corrode DR Bonus: +5 Damage Reduction (Corrode)
  • Fenwalkers: Fenwalkers: +7 Defense against Stuck attacks, +7 Defense against Hobbled attacks, +7 Defense against Paralyzed attacks
  • Naasitaqi Boots: Freeze DR Bonus: +5 Damage Reduction (Freeze)
  • Shod-in-Faith: Spell Holding: Consecrated Ground: Grants Consecrated Ground
  • Animancer’s Boots: Minor Spellbind: Jolting Touch: Grants Jolting Touch Shock-Proofed: +3 Damage Reduction (Shock)
  • Dead Man Stands: Dead Man Stands: Delay unconsciousness for 3 seconds
  • Boots of the Long March: Max Endurance Bonus: +20 Max Endurance Athletic: +2 Athletics
  • Malina’s Boots: Speed: +1.1 Move Speed Preservation: +10 Defense while Stunned, +10 Defense while Prone

Armors and shield aren't listed because I got bored in copy pasting stuff from strategy guide and I think this already show my point

I don't think it is lack of unique bonuses or lack of unique items that make people feel lack of uniqueness in PoE items but PoE quite high quantity of those two, people have just too much choice of unique items where to choose from that makes them feel that there is lack of uniqueness in the item selection.

While I admit that list looks impressive at first glance, the vast majority of those bonuses are derived from the enchantment table.  The standouts for me are:

Starcaller
draining
anything that grants spell-knowledge
bonus damage when attacking prone/stunned/flanked
marking?

Moving grazes to hits sounds nice until you realize it's actually just a worse version of an accuracy buff.

Anyway, I must say that list is a bit better than what I thought it would be.  Certainly better than Dragon Age: Origins which, before reading Elerond's post, is where I would have put PoE on the itemization scale.

As an aside, has anyone tested the attack speed bonus since 1.4?  Did they finally fix that so that it does something?

TBF, Baldur's Gate 2 is much higher-level, relatively, than PoE, which leaves space for a lot more variety in effects. I think PoE has better loot in general than BG 1 did.

While I completely agree it's better than BG1, was that the target?  Why not aim for the better game?  I'm not sure "lower-level" is a valid excuse tbh.  At the end game you're kiling serious foes, is there a reason to hold back serious loot?  Striving for balance in a single-player rpg doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I would have preferred if they went balls-to-the-walls crazy rather than worrying so much about unbalanced items.  It kinda reminds me of MMO design-philosophy where you have to be very incremental with the power increases because throwing balance is such a big deal.

Gimme some crazy stuff like

an evil dagger with 2x sneak attack damage but reduces endurance by 80%. 

a flashy sword that causes blindness in foes but has a small chance of doing it to the user. (with a nice sparkly fx)

Armor with large bonuses to a certain defense (not deflection) and maluses to others.

a tinfoil hat that protects the wearer from mind-control (ok that's a little silly, but you get the point)

etc..

Most of the stuff I see is pretty timid.

sorry.. i dont want items that give me negative stats.. especially ones that remove 80% of my Endurance haha.

i can understand the argument of wanting more interesting items.. but ill say it again.. this is not a gear centric game. i dont want the franchise turning into a diablo clone.  the game should be about the story, the companions, and customizing the stats of your party to make the most bad ass party you can.. and this doesnt have to be done with gear exclusively.. yes, i want to have to make a decision on items.. and i want the ability to manipulate my characters stats with gear.. i just dont want my time to be dominated by that after level 1.  it should be a side thing.

That's kind of a weird stance.  It's not likely getting more interesting gear actually takes extra time to equip...

EDIT: People play these types of games for lots of different reasons I think.  Story, Choice & Consequence, role-play, combat tactics, exploration and yes, loot-lust. 

For me it's (in order): combat, loot, exploration, C&C, role-play, story. 

This game is more like (in order of strengths)... story, rp, exploration, loot, combat, c&c... so I'm not QUITE satisfied.

Now keep in mind: a rtwp rpg being successful, which this one seems to be, raises my hopes for the future.  If this was a huge bomb we'd probably never see a sequel and other developers would be less inclined to take risks on this niche genre.

Edited by Cronstintein

<snip>

also, to take this a step further.. what i really hope to see is a game like this set in the pathfinder system. IMO, that is THE BEST version of D&D 3.5 thats currently released. i think it would be fantastic to see it translated to the video game realm. it sure wouldnt be that difficult to do.

You should check 5e- imo it's the best d&d edition so far, by far :p

(I ve been playing dnd ever since the AD&D days)

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

<snip>

also, to take this a step further.. what i really hope to see is a game like this set in the pathfinder system. IMO, that is THE BEST version of D&D 3.5 thats currently released. i think it would be fantastic to see it translated to the video game realm. it sure wouldnt be that difficult to do.

I'd have to disagree. I'm with Kale on this, Pathfinder is for me the ultimate expression of D&D awesomeness.

• Like 2

I'd have to disagree. I'm with Kale on this, Pathfinder is for me the ultimate expression of D&D awesomeness.

I'm going to have to check it out. I first picked up D&D way back in 1977 (blue box - remember when Elf or Halfling was a class?), but haven't yet checked out Pathfinder or the new 5.0 edition.

Yeah the comments got me looking into it as well.  From what I could gather from as an outsider, pathfinder has more comprehensive rule structure but 5th is a bit more streamlined.  (which could be good or bad, depending on your PoV).  PF has also been out much longer so there are many more books in general.

The game on hard was a steep difficulty slide after Raedrick's castle (which was cool, btw).  ALL of act 2 was a snooze fest for me, combat-wise. ...

... At the end game you're kiling serious foes, is there a reason to hold back serious loot?  Striving for balance in a single-player rpg doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I would have preferred if they went balls-to-the-walls crazy rather than worrying so much about unbalanced items.  

Your two statements seem to be at odds with other. If the combat is already too easy, adding more powerful loot just makes it easier. What are you saying here?

<snip>

Well yal will be in for a nice treat since the CEO of Pathfinder has stated that their partnership with obsidian, they plan on "many" pathfinder crpgs done by obsidian in the future after the card game is done with :-)

And yes I'm still very excited over this as I have GMd pathfinder for quite a few years now and love it, specially their unchained stuff that's coming out, spoiler alert they have imho fixed the rogue to be on par with most classes now :-)

• Like 1

The game on hard was a steep difficulty slide after Raedrick's castle (which was cool, btw).  ALL of act 2 was a snooze fest for me, combat-wise. ...

... At the end game you're kiling serious foes, is there a reason to hold back serious loot?  Striving for balance in a single-player rpg doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I would have preferred if they went balls-to-the-walls crazy rather than worrying so much about unbalanced items.  

Your two statements seem to be at odds with other. If the combat is already too easy, adding more powerful loot just makes it easier. What are you saying here?

Ehh not really.  I just want TWO changes.  Honestly, the difficulty is the bigger issue.  Make it MUCH harder with way better AI, (especially casters) and unit placement.  Then you have room to put in some better loot.  Plus when I'm talking about crazy items, power is only part of it.  Some of it is an x-factor, for lack of a better word, I'll say, 'uniqueness'.  The qualities on weapons just seem bland for the most part, not necessarily underpowered.  A 1/rest invisibility won't ultimately change the killing power of my party very much but it's something interesting for me to play with in fights, for example.