The truth behind the words in constantine's "The 'Truth' behind words in RPG Codex's #1 Review for PoE "

Apparently, I'm too old to play this game: Guess what tone the post/thread was made in. And is it really funny even then, I mean, having a go at... Hmm, wonder whether this vitriol or bile is for real this time or fake. It's still trolling and spamming to a semi-oldie like me. It's tiresome, at least, that much I'm sure of. I wish I had the iron will of Stun when he for instance debates Gromnir, but sadly I don't.

if you think this is a troll thread, then Constantine's thread is a troll thread too. It's full of fallacy, bias, and lies. At least Sensuki made factual points in his OP.

• Like 2

Yeah, I must say that my enthuasism for arguing with trolls has diminished over the years. Life is 2 short.

If it makes the haters feel good that's actually fine by me, make as many threads as you want, post as many badly written - wanne be gonzo like reviews. Feel free to troll all you want! Just please learn the difference between good writing and bad.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Apparently, I'm too old to play this game: Guess what tone the post/thread was made in. And is it really funny even then, I mean, having a go at... Hmm, wonder whether this vitriol or bile is for real this time or fake. It's still trolling and spamming to a semi-oldie like me. It's tiresome, at least, that much I'm sure of. I wish I had the iron will of Stun when he for instance debates Gromnir, but sadly I don't.

if you think this is a troll thread, then Constantine's thread is a troll thread too. It's full of fallacy, bias, and lies. At least Sensuki made factual points in his OP.

I think the term "troll" has lost it's meaning. It's just a slur by now. Troll implies intent, mostly malicious. Now, I make it a point to consider ignorance malicious in itself, but one should not be so fast as to point out maliciousness when retardation might do. The truth is that most "troll" threads created aren't created by trolls, they're created by idiots.

I sincerely believe that anyone with a measurable IQ south of 110 should be dragged out into the streets and shot.

Just please learn the difference between good writing and bad.

Speaking of which. PoE.

Oh come on, there's actually a lot of writing in PoE that is very good. I haven't caught myself groaning even once. The storytelling, the narrative, could be better, and I get the feeling that they cut stuff from the storyline itself, but the actual writing is good.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Thing is, it may very well be, even if I reckon Sensuki had taken it to another level, both trolling and meta-trolling, at least in my dim-witty eyes.

Here's Wiki on trolling:

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]"

Grr, I was baited hard. Still not sure if fallacy, bias and lies qualify as trolling per se.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Feel free to troll all you want! Just please learn the difference between good writing and bad.

Do you mean how to write a proper article, or good and bad writing in games?

More from the review side - I am not sure how old the writer is, but I do know where he is coming from, he's trying to be edgy, much like PJ O Rourke/Hunter S Thompson. Which is very difficult to do. The bottom line is that games are all about personal enjoyment and taste. What I don't get though, is that why the people who don't like POE hang around in the forums? That's a bit odd. If I don't like a game I move on - it's been a long time since I posted on Biowares forums for example.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

Here's Wiki on trolling:

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]"

Grr, I was baited hard. Still not sure if fallacy, bias and lies qualify as trolling per se.

So Constantine's thread is a troll thread. Thanks for confirming that. Or as Luckman suggests, Constantine may be slightly retarded, or at least an idiot.

• Like 1

Oh come on, there's actually a lot of writing in PoE that is very good. I haven't caught myself groaning even once. The storytelling, the narrative, could be better, and I get the feeling that they cut stuff from the storyline itself, but the actual writing is good.

I didn't say it was all bad. But there is stuff in PoE that when you think you're making choices in the game, especially at the end of Act 2 where you're carefully considering options in dialogue, the rug is completely pulled out from under you voiding any careful options you just took.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 1

What I don't get though, is that why the people who don't like POE hang around in the forums? That's a bit odd. If I don't like a game I move on - it's been a long time since I posted on Biowares forums for example.

I don't play GTA V or Bloodborne so there's not really any other new games to talk about at the moment. The next upcoming RPG is Serpent in the Staglands, in about a month's time. Which reminds me, I should probably go report some bugs for them.

"Stun" is actually a program someone has written :) It just keeps going on and on...

I think the problem with POE and any game is the expectations - maybe the reason I really like the game that I've toned down my expectations with all games... Witcher 3 is coming out - which I pre ordered, and I'm not hugely enthusiastic over it because while I loved the Witcher 2, I reckon they have bitten off more than they can chew with the open world. But gaming is good at the mo - Torment is coming out, SCL hopefully by the end of the year.

The thing is, I can see why people didn't like the story in Pillars, it was quite a departure from the IE games story wise. I thought it was great - I'm tired of the good v evil stories you get in D&D.

Considering how much games costs - we shouldn't forget to enjoy them.l

• Like 3

Lord of Light

Rheingold: Yeah, we are spoiled rotten atm. Last year was great, and this year has had a fantastic start with PoE, and soon we'll have Serpent of the Staglands and Witcher 3 (although I've never liked that game series. Don't ask me why. I have the games and I really tried to get into them. I guess it's the fixed protagonist that somehow rubs me in the wrong way, for starters.)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Rheingold: Yeah, we are spoiled rotten atm. Last year was great, and this year has had a fantastic start with PoE, and soon we'll have Serpent of the Staglands and Witcher 3 (although I've never liked that game series. Don't ask me why. I have the games and I really tried to get into them. I guess it's the fixed protagonist that somehow rubs me in the wrong way, for starters.)

Never liked the first witcher, frankly I was appalled when I first played it - for reasons that I don't want to get into here. But the second one was stunning. I'm also waiting for the sequels for Dishonored and Tomb Raiders reboot which were very good games.

I also reckon from a developer point of view having a fixed protagonist makes it so much easier, both from the story and mechanics side.

So they really shouldn't have an excuse to screw the games up! If they are not as good as Pillars I'll be disapointed.

Lord of Light

I'm also waiting for the sequels for Dishonored and Tomb Raiders reboot which were very good games.

I'm actually a huge fan of Dishonored, and I'm looking forward to a sequel like a madman. I've tried Assassin's Creed and Tomb raider, but for some reason I fell hard for Dishonored. The voice acting alone is marvellous. Daud, mmm...

I'm also waiting for the sequels for Dishonored and Tomb Raiders reboot which were very good games.

I'm actually a huge fan of Dishonored, and I'm looking forward to a sequel like a madman. I've tried Assassin's Creed and Tomb raider, but for some reason I fell hard for Dishonored. The voice acting alone is marvellous. Daud, mmm...

Loved Dishonored!  A game in which I can try to chuck a dead body out of a window in a brothel into the ocean only to realise I got the wrong window when a scream from outside alerts me that I have actually thrown it into the main street...  While I always got the Low Chaos ending I never completed a bloodless run since I always found the 'non-death' methods for taking out the actual targets to be a bit of a cop out (except for the one where you got to brand him instead).

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I sincerely believe that anyone with a measurable IQ south of 110 should be dragged out into the streets and shot.

Well, the thing is - an IQ of 100 is the average by definition.  So your idea would result in just over half the population getting shot, then just over half of the remaining population, then just over half of the remaining population after that....and so on until there was only me left :p

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: