I have Grieving Mother in my party and she can do her thing on the girl, but then the fighting starts and I get obliterated, even if I try "cheat" by setting the game on Easy. I have my wizard, Aloth, Durance, Grieving Mother, Eder, and Kana - all level 5, 4/5th through level 6. I tried my best to get Wyrmund, but he just not easy.

I already killed Raedric, but that was easy due to the trick, where you can hind behind the throne. There is no such trick with this guy...  Should I just come back to get him later?

I kind of hate how unbalanced this game is. You can eliminate all enemies within a dungeon with moderate difficulty, yet the boss will be 3x harder. Bosses should be harder, but they should be close to the strength of their subordinates... 

Also, another question - what level should I be to complete all 13 levels of the dungeon beneath my keep? I take there is no way to re-supply camp supplies once you fall into the hole until you go through all 13 levels???

EDIT:

I GOT AN IDEA! Here's my SaveGame (Zipped) on Normal (latest patch 1.04) - https://dl.dropboxus...976/Wyrmund.zip

Can someone defeat Wyrmund with my party?  That is without venturing anywhere, just from that location. Just out of curiosity. I want to defeat him on my own, so I don't need a SaveGame after he was beaten. I am just curious if some veteran players can do it with my party.

ALSO, any advice on spells, party, equipment (armor, weapons), my castle/fortress would be appreciated!!

Edited by MonarchX

Wyrmund is the guy in the Dyrford ruins? Honestly you should do that area after you've leveled up a bit, do the quests in Defiance bay first they're easier.

I cleared the endless paths by level 9 once (except the boss), but it's not to easy.  You can start around level 5 and just leave when it gets hard, there are master staircase exits that allow you to return to the surface when you find them (every other level or so).  The furthest I made it starting with a level 4/5 party, on hard, was around floor 8.  But starting at that level I honestly don't expect to make it further than floor 5 if that.  

The game isn't really unbalanced if you know what order to do things in, in fact it becomes too easy.  First playthrough you'll encounter stuff that's to hard or easy, but that's just a downside to games that aren't a railroad (linear), find other areas and come back later.  My recommendation is defiance bay and the first 4 or 5 levels of the endless paths.

Edited by Climhazzard

Also, another question - what level should I be to complete all 13 levels of the dungeon beneath my keep? I take there is no way to re-supply camp supplies once you fall into the hole until you go through all 13 levels???

The hole (if you mean the xaurip sacrificial pit) takes you from the 2nd level to the 5th, but you can fight your way up from there. You can access the Master Stairs from the 5th level even.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

It's one of the most difficult encounters in the game. Wymund is a high level priest, most certainly higher than your party when you first meet him. He has access to some of the most powerful spells in the game such as pillar of holy fire, which can easily end your party. You have to take care of him first via some sort of crowd control spell or ability, then get rid of his entourage and finally take him out for good.

It's one of the most difficult encounters in the game. Wymund is a high level priest, most certainly higher than your party when you first meet him. He has access to some of the most powerful spells in the game such as pillar of holy fire, which can easily end your party. You have to take care of him first via some sort of crowd control spell or ability, then get rid of his entourage and finally take him out for good.

Actually I find that the larger factor of his difficulty isn't so much his abilities as the position from which you have to start the battle, with all your squishies upfront asking for a beating.

My Deadfire mods

Actually I find that the larger factor of his difficulty isn't so much his abilities as the position from which you have to start the battle, with all your squishies upfront asking for a beating.

I lost that fight three times, changing tactics slightly each go-round. Then I realized my best bet was to run like hell out of the room and force the baddies to come to me. Also, I believe I went from level 4 to 5 between the first attempt and the last... 

I left Eder and my fighter PC just outside the door to engage, and used my remaining characters (Kana, Aloth, Grieving Mother and Durance) to wear them down. Durance's buffs (and repulsing seal) and Aloth casting chill fog and fireball, combined with Grieving Mother's mind blades and Kana's summoned phantom (or maybe it was skeletons) were enough to do the trick.   

Since the fight is doable solo Level 8 on Potd it shouldn't be a problem with a party on easy level 5.

Just attack Wyrmund first, then the other mages, and spread your characters out, so the pillar only hits one of them.

Difficulty doesn't affect the strength of enemies, only the number of them that appear.

At any rate, the hardest part of the fight is the starting position, since your main character will be up front and exposed to all sorts of terrible things. Pause at the start of the fight and cast Dimensional Shift to get the heck outta there. Wyrmund is a Priest so have Arcane Dampener ready, as he usually prioritizes on buffing his mooks. They're 100 times more deadlier with them. He also has Pillar of Holy Fire which hits pretty hard without a decent Reflex defense or fire resistance. Its range is very small though, so keep your group somewhat spread out so it'll only hit 1 character.

You do realize that you can change the order in which your characters start out after transitions by re-arranging the order of their portraits, right? Just put your tanks first, and you're good. 

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

You do realize that you can change the order in which your characters start out after transitions by re-arranging the order of their portraits, right? Just put your tanks first, and you're good. 

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

Maybe you should play the game and this particular battle, before making wise comments?

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

Maybe you should play the game and this particular battle, before making wise comments?

What about it? You run into the hall, in transition order (that is, in the same formation you do level transitions in), as soon as the door is opened. I don't see how my comment does not apply?

Also, I didn't find the battle that hard, but I've had the Adra Cheese Beetle statuette, and it ate its way through everything.

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

As someone stated, starting position is not a problem. I place Eder and Kana up front. Its easy if you re-arrange the icons. I also tried to run like hell from the battle, but erm... The first spell someone in that group casts drops my fighter and others on the ground long enough to finish them off... I am not sure I have that teleportation spell. I have not even examined all the spells I have. I just took them out of different books and made sure both wizards know each other's spells. The biggest issue is that first spell cast upon my group is that giant hammer of light or whatever. It either kills several party members or damages them real bad or drops them to the floor. No escape possible that way...

Funny, I finished ALL the quests in that village, except for this battle. The area and other quests were quite easy for level 5 party, which is why I thought the game was unbalanced. If all the quests and enemies were easy, but the final boss un-beatable, then there is something wrong. They should have made other enemies a lot harder for me to think "OK, this area is too hard for my level - I'll come back later". I will level up to 6 somewhere else and try again I guess... I am not that good with spells. They all vary so much and most of them seem useless. I mostly use Durance's healing effects and wizard's attack spells. Grieving Mother's spells don't do squat to Wyrmund. I only have her because she can save the girl...

I skipped Defiance Bay or whatever the name of that big (the biggest?) city. It seemed so big it made me uncomfortable. I thought it would be best to clear up the rest of the smaller areas before going for the city. Cities usually have tougher people, at least in real life :D.

"I have not even examined all the spells I have"

Would probably help a lot if you started by examining them, the spells in this game give it tactical depth.

Opening fights with crowd control on enemy spellcasters is a good idea.  If the spells aren't sticking you aren't leveled up enough or you need to buff your accuracy first via blessing or inspiring radiance, inspiring radiance casts faster so start with that.  You can cast inspiring radiance then a mental binding (fast cast speed) from Grieving mother before a priest can even cast a pillar spell (average cast speed), then follow up with enough ranged damage to down the enemy spellcaster before the paralysis wears off.

Depending on your team composition there are a lot of options, like using withdraw on anyone you think might get knocked out, if you do it on someone in a doorway they'll block it until the spell wears off.  A priest that casts consecrated ground followed by withdraw on himself is an invincible healing battery.

Anyways, if you can't figure it out, just leave and come back when you're stronger, there's tons of easier fights and Xp in Defiance bay.

"Should I just come back to get him later?"

You already knew the answer. No fun if you kill everything whatever level you are. Also, not everyone opts to fight him.

"Funny, I finished ALL the quests in that village, except for this battle. The area and other quests were quite easy for level 5 party, which is why I thought the game was unbalanced. If all the quests and enemies were easy, but the final boss un-beatable, then there is something wrong."

The ogre in the cave is brutal for low levels, as is the spider queen. Of course, difficulty of each encounter varies wildly depending on your party and your playstyle (which is the case for any good CRPG). For some parties, they can actually be worse than Wyrmund.

Firstly your comment is not even entirely correct, because IIRC the game will put your Watcher in one of the two front positions for this confrontation (or rather for the dialogue) no matter how you arrange your party. I always make my Watchers tanks partly for this reason so I don't know if it still happens.

Secondly, as someone who prefers to send his tank in alone while the rest of the party buffs up from some distance, I can tell you the impact made by party re-arrangement is rather subtle when my casters are easily in range of enemy archers and generally close enough that their melee will happily bother to run the short distance past my tank to hack at them, not to mention that we're all gathered nicely for AoE.

My Deadfire mods

"Should I just come back to get him later?"

You already knew the answer. No fun if you kill everything whatever level you are. Also, not everyone opts to fight him.

"Funny, I finished ALL the quests in that village, except for this battle. The area and other quests were quite easy for level 5 party, which is why I thought the game was unbalanced. If all the quests and enemies were easy, but the final boss un-beatable, then there is something wrong."

The ogre in the cave is brutal for low levels, as is the spider queen. Of course, difficulty of each encounter varies wildly depending on your party and your playstyle (which is the case for any good CRPG). For some parties, they can actually be worse than Wyrmund.

True. Killing enemies that are supposedly too hard for my level makes me feel like a superior player!  Anyway, its settled - I shall venture to Defiance Bay!

I GOT AN IDEA! Here's my SaveGame (Zipped) on Normal (latest patch 1.04) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93831976/Wyrmund.zip

Can someone defeat Wyrmund with my party?  That is without venturing anywhere, just from that location. Just out of curiosity. I want to defeat him on my own, so I don't need a SaveGame after he was beaten. I am just curious if some veteran players can do it with my party.

ALSO, any advice on spells, party, equipment (armor, weapons), my castle/fortress would be appreciated!!

I will give it a go forthwith.

I have some great advice already. You should click Defender on Edér to enable it :p

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods

C:\Users\yournamehere\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\

My Deadfire mods