Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Metacritic: Universal Acclaim !

reception success review metacritic

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

kaiki

kaiki

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Less than half finished the first act and less than 6% finished the game? Huh.

I wonder what the average is.

Not sure about all games but there was a good article that listed the stats for Bioware games. It came out to be around 40% finishes their games.

http://www.eurogamer...d-mass-effect-2

Rosveen

Rosveen

Obsidian Order's Prophet of Woe

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Due to recent paid mods shenanigans, angry users voted Skyrim down to 8.0. I'm sure Bethesda haters will take some comfort in knowing that PoE is now officially better perceived. ;)

mystang89

mystang89

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

Ok. So, the average between those two numbers is roughly an 88%. An 88% is LESS than an A. A solid "A" would be 94-97%. That is practically impossible on metacritic, so the real number to achieve is probably 92-93%.

For instance:

Baldur's Gate. Critics 95, Players 93. That averages to 94%.
http://www.metacriti...-shadows-of-amn

Baldur's Gate: Critics 91, Players 90. That is basically a 90%.
http://www.metacriti...pc/baldurs-gate

Kotor 2: Critics 85, Players 83. That is an 84%, though I personally feel it was slighted.
http://www.metacriti...-the-sith-lords

Kotor: Critics 93, Players 90. 91-92%.
http://www.metacriti...he-old-republic

Arcanum: Critics 81, Players 90. Averages to roughly 86%.
http://www.metacriti...-magick-obscura

F: NV: Critics 84, Players 84. 84%.
http://www.metacriti...llout-new-vegas

Planescape: Torment: Critics 91, Players 94. Averages to around 92.5%.
http://www.metacriti...nescape-torment

So, basically, it is under-performing. Almost all of those games scored higher scores, and that is over time (meaning, far more reviews). A handful had slightly lower scores (Kotor 2, F:NV and Arcanum), but it wasn't by much. That basically just affirms that it IS a really good game, but it ISN'T an AMAZING game. Hopefully, POE 2 will surpass even those games that still hold that title.

I won't say whether this game is great or not. It's fun for me and that is all I really care about but I did want to point out something that you said. With most of those games the reviews are over time which also means there is more time to correct mistakes and bring out expansions for the late comers to give better reviews.

McMayhem

McMayhem

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Steam:Doc Valentine

Let's not forget the current status of consumers today. Look back at all the "Holy crap, I have to actually read?!?" posts from a while back and you will see that most of today's gamers can barely keep their concentration focused for one act, let alone a full game. 

Naurgalen

Naurgalen

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Note that I and at least 2 friends haven't finished the game because of time reasons. PoE is a long game and we study and work at the same time.

• gogocactus likes this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5199 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I haven't finished because I keep restarting around the beginning of Act II... :sweat:

• kaiki likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5891 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I wasn't so surprised about the low number of finishers but I was surprised only 44% made it through Act 1. Whats my excuse? Im waiting for patches. Yeah...that's it. :ermm:

Captain Shrek

Captain Shrek

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 580 posts

Act 1 is easy to get past. Its act 2 you gotta contend against. Ohmanohmanohman. Those copy pasted encounters suck the life outta me, 

Act1 has the advantage of being something new and exciting, despite also having copy pasted stuff all over the place. 

kaiki

kaiki

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I wonder if those numbers would have been higher if PoE had been released in an episodic format like Telltale games or Life is Strange.

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

None of the Kotors, nor Torment, nor Arcanum had expansions.  Obviously, all had patches.  Personally, I haven't found POE to be buggy at all, so I doubt that will really impact matters.  I tend to think that there is more enthusiasm for a game when it first comes out, which naturally decreases over time.  So, I doubt that the ratings will get better, especially since it was Kickstarted, meaning the people that really wanted it already have it and have been playing it.  It is unlikely to gather a huge amount of late-comers, because it IS a niche market. 

Captain Shrek

Captain Shrek

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 580 posts

The issue with Obsidian producing buggy games is overhyped anyway. Their games are as buggy as anyone else's. In fact obsidian produced some of my favorite games ever, such as AP, F:NV, MoTB and NWN2 in general for its mods. It really baffles the mind that these other games did not receive acclaim. 

• DCParry likes this

Rosveen

Rosveen

Obsidian Order's Prophet of Woe

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The issue with Obsidian producing buggy games is overhyped anyway. Their games are as buggy as anyone else's. In fact obsidian produced some of my favorite games ever, such as AP, F:NV, MoTB and NWN2 in general for its mods. It really baffles the mind that these other games did not receive acclaim. 

NWN2 is a godawful game and I quit it in frustration every time I tried to play it. The camera controls are some of the worst I've ever seen. It entirely killed any desire I had to play MoTB despite hearing good things about it.

New Vegas didn't receive (enough) professional acclaim because... actually, I've no clue. It has better user scores on both Metacritic and Steam, thought it sold fewer copies. I guess BGS > Obsidian in the eyes of the public.

Edited by Rosveen, 27 April 2015 - 11:30 AM.

Captain Shrek

Captain Shrek

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 580 posts

Play NWN2 mods or MoTB or SoZ. Also, they fixed camera issues in updates. There is a strategic camera mode. 

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

Pillars of Eternity on Metacritic:

90/100 based on 59 critic reviews

85/100 based on 1525 user reviews

:D

I think this speaks louder than any rpg codex review.

:lol:

There, there. Here's something to soothe that butthurt.

qB9hAbt.jpg

Ohioastro

Ohioastro

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 221 posts

Play NWN2 mods or MoTB or SoZ. Also, they fixed camera issues in updates. There is a strategic camera mode. 

Will try that, thanks - the default one is driving me nuts.  I'm trying to get into it for the first time, but the camera is annoying as the devil.

Longknife

Longknife

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's always like this. Makes you wonder how many people get games and never play them.

Also, why the hell do we give a damned about reviews now that we....yknow, own the game and can decide for ourselves if we like it? I see an earlier example that's highlighting Pillars got a higher average review score than New Vegas, does that make it a better game? I'm sorry but if you gave me a choice between never playing New Vegas or never playing Pillars again, I'd throw Pillars under the bus in a heartbeat. Reviews are worthless once you own the game and have your own opinion on the matter.

Due to recent paid mods shenanigans, angry users voted Skyrim down to 8.0.

It's also worth noting Pillars dropped several points when the limerick fiasco happened.

Edited by Longknife, 28 April 2015 - 06:42 AM.

ShadowStorm

ShadowStorm

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 32 posts

After seeing the metacritic scores "professional" reviewers gave DA:Inquisition, I realized that their score can be completely ignored. That game got a 5.8 from players, and that's pretty kind. If any metacritic score should be considered, it is they user score. 

Even so, there's plenty of great games that have been shafted through the years by heard-mentality, such as Alpha Protocol and Daikatana. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reception, success, review, metacritic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users