If I have ranged dps who never get attacked, should I just remove all their chest pieces?

So at the moment I have decided to make all of my dps into ranged, since after 2 battles, it seems the enemies really will stay on just my tank as long as others arent nearby, so my question is this.

Since Chest pieces hinder recovery time, and since Im planning on having my ranged dps not get hit to begin with, should I just remove chest pieces? For better dps?

It's worthwhile to change armor based on the dungeon and the actual range of the DPS.  Many times a tank and spank strategy works, and then it's best to have as little armor as possible.  

There are other situations where light armor is better:

Certain enemies will break or overwhelm engagement.  Specters, Fampyrs, and xaurip hordes are particularly bad at this.  

Some enemies target your back lines with AoEs, especially kobold priests.  Dragons and some drakes have larger aoes that are hard to dodge.

Some enemies use dominate and confusion, like vithracks, spore mushrooms, and fampyrs.  In those cases a well equipped party member can sometimes cut through your back line.  Or worse, if they dominate your tank, you're basically ****ed.

Basically, having one character in heavy armor and the rest in none gives you a lot of strength, but it's a brittle sort of strength that the right enemy can take advantage of.

Edited by anameforobsidian
  • Like 1

Totally anecdotal, but I found when I had my Cipher wear no armor (or just clothing), many of the mobs would target her specifically and relentlessly. Once I gave her some heavy armor, they totally ignored her. Not sure if there's an AI routine that gives lightly armored targets a higher priority, but it sure seemed that way to me. Probably worth checking out what happens in your game.

I think too that ennemies prefer attacking characters with no armor. (Not sure.)

And yes, ranged dps are more efficient with no armor... but it's more dangerous. (Not a good idea with "iron man" mode? :) ) If the armor is really good quality, and with special abilities, I think it worth it.

(Anyway, I probably played most of the game with one tank, and others without armor. Then, I put heavy armor on an second one, to have an emergency tank. But at the end, I felt better with a "medium" armor on everybody.)

if you are going agains a group with archers/spelcasters/other rangeds, or a masive group that swarms around your tank(s) into your back row,then put aarmor on your ranged chars

late game special armors have ofen enchantments that offset their recovery penalty

other than that equip yor rangeds with light armor/cloth(enchanted if possible)

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

What worked for me was to have your 1-2 tanks up front and have your 4-5 ranged dps in back. 1-2 ranged dps should have medium-heavy armor with 1-hand weapons and shields in the other item slot. This way your other ranged dps can get away with wearing light armor and if enemies break past your tanks your heavier dps can engage allowing your squishies to pull further back. That is especially useful when dealing with teleporting enemies as they will focus down your squishies.

Totally anecdotal, but I found when I had my Cipher wear no armor (or just clothing), many of the mobs would target her specifically and relentlessly. Once I gave her some heavy armor, they totally ignored her. Not sure if there's an AI routine that gives lightly armored targets a higher priority, but it sure seemed that way to me. Probably worth checking out what happens in your game.

I noticed this also actually. I didn't do a whole lot of experimenting with it, but it annoyed me when I noticed it and I did do a bit of double checking. There is certainly something they lock on to due to the nakedness there. I know in NWN2 the enemies are set to attack the lowest AC party member this also annoyed the **** out of me.

I noticed this also actually. I didn't do a whole lot of experimenting with it, but it annoyed me when I noticed it and I did do a bit of double checking. There is certainly something they lock on to due to the nakedness there. I know in NWN2 the enemies are set to attack the lowest AC party member this also annoyed the **** out of me.

"Appear at points the enemy must hasten to defend; march swiftly to places you are not expected."

"So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak."

Sun Tzu, Art of War.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."