I have just picked up Lead Spitter. I am intending on using it to replace my cipher's current primary weapon (a Fine Arbalest with Burning Lash and Kithslayer.) I have upgraded it to Exceptional (and corrosive lash), but - when money allows - I now have to make a decision on what to do next.

As I see it, I can either go with exceptional/corrosive lash/kithslayer as soon as I have some more cash, or I could hold out until much later when I can make it superb/corrosive lash/[something else] slayer.

What do you think is the best option?

(I'm leaning towards the first one at the moment.)

Well, superb is going to be really late game - so if it where me I'd rather not wait until virtually end game. Regardless of stats or min/maxing.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

You can enchant it over with superb anyway, even if you first did exceptional. This does only work with quality enchantments and not with lashes/slayer, but corrosive and kith are solid choices.

You can enchant it over with superb anyway, even if you first did exceptional. This does only work with quality enchantments and not with lashes/slayer, but corrosive and kith are solid choices.

But if you go with kith and lash, there isn't enough space for superb.

Capture.jpg

Exceptional and kithslayer it is, then, I think.

This will make the... third weapon my cipher has used in anger (and I think the first crossbow only lasted a very short time before I found my arbalest). I think I'm beginning to see what people are saying about the magic items.

Mind you, it has been a LONG time since I played BG 1, and the loot was pretty muribund there too, as I recall! (I do have to keep reminding myself I'm playing something mechanically closer to BG 1 than the later games, which were able to build on it.)

I wouldn't bother with Slayer. It only means bonuses against one type of enemies and lack of them in every other cases.

And Kith enemies are least danguerous enemies in game and easiest to kill so imo it is waste of 4 enchant points.

Go Excelent and Corrosive or Fire Lash and after that Superb if it will be one of your main weapons. Leave Slayer at the end or just do not bother with it at all. I only find it good against Vessels for last boss fight, but that is if you solo min-max.

Just don't bother with slayer. Quality and Lash are most important.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1

I wouldn't bother with Slayer. It only means bonuses against one type of enemies and lack of them in every other cases.

And Kith enemies are least danguerous enemies in game and easiest to kill so imo it is waste of 4 enchant points.

Go Excelent and Corrosive or Fire Lash and after that Superb if it will be one of your main weapons. Leave Slayer at the end or just do not bother with it at all. I only find it good against Vessels for last boss fight, but that is if you solo min-max.

Just don't bother with slayer. Quality and Lash are most important.

What he said

Here's the thing: you're only going to get the materials to upgrade one or two weapons to Superb, so at some point you'll have to make a decision about who in your party needs an upgrade and who's going to stick with Exceptional weapons (or switch to unique weapons that start Superb but don't have the specials you want). If you have someone in your party who's main role is dealing damage with their weapon, you might want to upgrade theirs instead of upgrading the weapon of a Cipher who spends more time using powers than shooting.

• Like 2

I have just picked up Lead Spitter. I am intending on using it to replace my cipher's current primary weapon (a Fine Arbalest with Burning Lash and Kithslayer.) I have upgraded it to Exceptional (and corrosive lash), but - when money allows - I now have to make a decision on what to do next.

As I see it, I can either go with exceptional/corrosive lash/kithslayer as soon as I have some more cash, or I could hold out until much later when I can make it superb/corrosive lash/[something else] slayer.

What do you think is the best option?

(I'm leaning towards the first one at the moment.)

kithslayer on a fine weapon is quite a waste tbh  :cat:

If you enchant a melee weapon you can do two, if a ranged it will use both eyes. Not sure whether curiosity shop in stronghold spawns eyes or scales...

Two-handed weapons use twice as much materials as one-handed, IIRC.

Here's the thing: you're only going to get the materials to upgrade one or two weapons to Superb, so at some point you'll have to make a decision about who in your party needs an upgrade and who's going to stick with Exceptional weapons (or switch to unique weapons that start Superb but don't have the specials you want). If you have someone in your party who's main role is dealing damage with their weapon, you might want to upgrade theirs instead of upgrading the weapon of a Cipher who spends more time using powers than shooting.

As you mention, there are plenty of Superb unique weapons over the course of the game so that your damage dealers will be covered without the need for enchantment.

Those weapons will be better than anything you could enchant by yourself from scratch, and are likely best for DPS purposes anyway.

E.g.: 

Superb two-hander - Tidefall, Blade of the Endless Paths;

Superb one-hander - Edge of Reason;

Superb ranged - Aedrin's Wrecker, The Rain of Godagh Field;

Superb dual wield - Vierina's Leaves, Drawn in Spring;

etc.

BUT: There is no Superb Blunderbuss. So if you've got a Cipher, then enchanting him a Superb Lead Spitter could be the way to go.

Other good candidates for Superb are Spell-striking weapons. But there are very few of them, and they require focused builds to be used for maximum efficiency (e.g. Azureuth + Bleak Fang dual-wielding Barbarian).

One other consideration may be that for role-play purposes you might want your protagonist to be equipped with the absolute best. I know I often do.

Beast and Vessel are also good Slaying choices if you have no place for Kith, as these categories cover the most powerful and/or annoying enemies in the game.

Slaying is always situational, of course, but I like having a Beast-slaying sword if only for the dragon encounters. Dragon Slayer FTW.

Edited by Lord Vicious
  • Like 1

As you mention, there are plenty of Superb unique weapons over the course of the game so that your damage dealers will be covered without the need for enchantment.

Those weapons will be better than anything you could enchant by yourself from scratch, and are likely best for DPS purposes anyway.

E.g.: 

Superb two-hander - Blade of the Endless Paths;

etc.

BUT: There is no Superb Blunderbuss. So if you've got a Cipher, then enchanting him a Superb Lead Spitter could be the way to go.

Other good candidates for Superb are Spell-striking weapons. But there are very few of them, and they require focused builds to be used for maximum efficiency (e.g. Azureuth + Bleak Fang dual-wielding Barbarian).

This is something that definitely comes down to who's in your party and what weapons you like to use. I like running a mid-liner DPS character with Tall Grass (best specials on a reach weapon), for example, so that's usually a higher priority for me. There also aren't any Superb Pistols, Arquebuses, Wands, Sabers, Great Swords, Pikes, War Hammers, Stilettos, or Flails. This is to say nothing of the weapon types for which the only Superb weapons are unimpressive apart from that quality (a list that would be shorter if the Speed property were actually functioning).

Now despite all that, Lead Splitter might still be the best candidate for using your two Sky Dragon Eyes, but it's far from a foregone conclusion.

E.g.: 

Superb two-hander - Blade of the Endless Paths;

etc.

This is something that definitely comes down to who's in your party and what weapons you like to use. I like running a mid-liner DPS character with Tall Grass (best specials on a reach weapon), for example, so that's usually a higher priority for me. There also aren't any Superb Pistols, Arquebuses, Wands, Sabers, Great Swords, Pikes, War Hammers, Stilettos, or Flails. This is to say nothing of the weapon types for which the only Superb weapons are unimpressive apart from that quality (a list that would be shorter if the Speed property were actually functioning).

Now despite all that, Lead Splitter might still be the best candidate for using your two Sky Dragon Eyes, but it's far from a foregone conclusion.

There is a superb (unique) great sword in Cail's cave actually.

Edited by Ormag
  • Like 1