Talking to Maerwald interrupts Two Sided quest?

I had my first talk to Maerwald and after that (he attacked me of course) in the upper left corner I saw the info that the quest Two Sided has ended unsuccessfully even though I didn't started it yet. It is strange for me to visit the city on the coast (where the quest Two Sided takes place) before talking to Mae. Why talking to him interrupts the quest? And going further, I should visit the city first and then talk to Maerwald?

I had my first talk to Maerwald and after that (he attacked me of course) in the upper left corner I saw the info that the quest Two Sided has ended unsuccessfully even though I didn't started it yet. It is strange for me to visit the city on the coast (where the quest Two Sided takes place) before talking to Mae. Why talking to him interrupts the quest? And going further, I should visit the city first and then talk to Maerwald?

You are supposed to visit Maerwald first considering you had to go to Od Nua to get to Defiance Bay in the first place.

Edited by Karkarov

Only thing I could think of is if Aloth isn't in your party, maybe he has some connection to Maerwald or the dialogue options you chose with Maerwald re: triggering Aloth's later quest, but since Eder is the one with the actual Maerworld bit, iirc, I doubt that's really it.

Could be a glitch? If you have a save before you kill Maerwald, reload and see if it still happens?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Wait, what? I don't think you can even go to Defiance Bay before talking to Maerwald. 

Usually Aloth's quest only fails if he dies permanently, or possibly if you finish Act 2 without doing anything about it.

• Like 1