Looting and Rioting in Baltimore

ktchong

"I didn't notice any evidence for your "cause they're white" interpretation."

Are you kididng, the 'protestors' in that video are clearly racist. They're also violent thugs. Why youa re defending them.  And, don't lump with the peaceful protestors.

\Calla spade a spade. If a gang of white punks jumped some black guy they'd be called racist.

It's cowardly to pretend this isn't racism.

PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What's with the weird colors on the flag?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You need to learn yourself quite a bit more geography and history.

Those are the colors of the 'Pan-African' flag. It has other names as well, but the gist of it is that it represents the people of Africa, their plight, their struggle for liberation, and African nationalism.

You need to learn yourself quite a bit more geography and history.

Those are the colors of the 'Pan-African' flag. It has other names as well, but the gist of it is that it represents the people of Africa, their plight, their struggle for liberation, and African nationalism.

That sounds problematic.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

As opposed to this?

600px-Confederate_Rebel_Flag.svg.png

That one goes without saying. Everything is problematic.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The bastardization of the US Flag with Pan African colors is indeed problematic on a number of levels.

The Confederate Flag isn't corrupting anything, nor does it represent a movement that seeks to undermine the culture of a nation. It represents quite the contrary to most of those who would fly it, and originally did.

Both the Confederate flag and the Pan-African flag have been misused to represent racism, and unfortunately have come to primarily represent it in the minds of many ignorants. Though it could be argued that the Pan-African flag was racist from day one given it's origin, it represents liberation to many.

Edited by Valsuelm

I don't think pan-Africanism, or the pan-African flags, are problematic.

I think it's problematic that they're necessary.

Being physically able to fight and liberate social structures where cis-het males are over-represented prolongs the suffering of the true minorities that do not adhere to any social norms. That's problematic.

I am now being opressed and triggered by your chauvinistic and toxic opinion, please donate to my Patreouuuuaaaaarrrrgh. **** it, i can't keep up with the charade without dying a bit inside. Back to normal.

//edit: Seems like some people in the press are trying to stir **** up: https://imgur.com/gallery/QVh32

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I don't think pan-Africanism, or the pan-African flags, are problematic.

I think it's problematic that they're necessary.

Being physically able to fight and liberate social structures where cis-het males are over-represented prolongs the suffering of the true minorities that do not adhere to any social norms. That's problematic.

I am now being opressed and triggered by your chauvinistic and toxic opinion, please donate to my Patreouuuuaaaaarrrrgh. **** it, i can't keep up with the charade without dying a bit inside. Back to normal.

The issue I have with the concept of " Pan-Africanism " is it  lacks real substance and therefore I question its real ability to implement change

If you look at the African continent and the AU you will see that the AU is basically a useless and impotent organisation that doesn't have the political will to impact change. It doesn't even enforce its own manifesto on member states, so you don't see consistency around ensuring Democratic elections or protecting basic human rights. Like protecting the sexual orientation of Africans, Homophobia is on the rise in several African counties

So the idea of "Pan-Africanism" just becomes relevant when people want to attack established institutions. But when it comes to actually adhering to what this really stands for I don't see much evidence of this. Especially on the African continent 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah it does need some work. I've no doubt Africa as a whole is on the way up though. We'll see pretty amazing stuff coming from there in the next 20 years or so.

I am an " Afro-optimist ", this is someone that believes in the future of the continent

And its not hard to actually resolve the systemic issues that the continent grapples with but it has to start with the AU doing the job it was created to do. And basically that means ensuring it enforces its own policies around the continent and member states. Yet it fails to do this and I think the main reason for the lack of credibility on the African continent is you have leaders who rule in direct contradiction to what the AU stands for.

So for example if a leader, like Robert Mugabe, hasn't had a free and fair election in the last 12 years and the AU does nothing to address this how seriously can you take them to implement other positive change on the continent that is needed to uplift the whole continent economically and socially ? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

//edit: Seems like some people in the press are trying to stir **** up: https://imgur.com/gallery/QVh32

Damn, compared to that left-wing city newspaper, even gaming journalists look like paragons of ethical and professional journalism.

So, the "left" for you is the Democratic Party? That explains a lot.

No. Only a very small fraction of left-wing progressives are actively involved in the Democratic Party on a day-to-day basis. In fact, most of them seem to be pretty displeased with the current state of it. At the same time, though, they still seem to see that party as their best shot at someday actualizing their dream of large-scale coercive redistribution and social engineering, and are willing to do much (incl. compromising their moral integrity and alleged "values") to help it stay in power.

Yeah it does need some work. I've no doubt Africa as a whole is on the way up though. We'll see pretty amazing stuff coming from there in the next 20 years or so.

In the parts of Africa where there's some semblance of a free market economy, anyway.

Edited by Ineth

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

As opposed to this?

600px-Confederate_Rebel_Flag.svg.png

That's a sort of weird retort, not like only one thing can be problematic

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's goddamn ugly for one. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, in theory not really - is just a flag to fly to represent blacks in America and something for them to rally under. I suppose in practice it can be as problematic as the Confederate battle flag if some try to use it as a statement on wanting to replace the regime in the US or as part of a statement to carry on a race war. 

Also as you said the real problem is people wanting to use that flag in the first place, the bastardization of the US flag.   Even assuming chunks of them are just playing at being a revolutionary, if they fly it as they don't feel part of America that's a problem.  As for whose fault that is, well that must vary from person to person.

Journal entry Day 2: I still have not received any redistributed wealth. Im starting to think the entire concept is yet more internet hot air. How will I pay for my wifes new car without the spoils of other peoples efforts?? Why cant the world see my disadvantages and take care of them for me?? Darkness approaches...

Journal entry Day 2: I still have not received any redistributed wealth. Im starting to think the entire concept is yet more internet hot air. How will I pay for my wifes new car without the spoils of other peoples efforts?? Why cant the world see my disadvantages and take care of them for me?? Darkness approaches...

There we go, you're an oppressed class.

The married man.

:D

• Like 1