Has someone made a mod to lower XP gain yet?

XP nerfing is a bit of a minefield, if you plan to play solo I wouldn't bother (the game seems very hard on PotD before hitting level 4 from my experience, which is tricky to do). If you're always doing party play, then by all means nerf XP like crazy.

IE mod ain't perfect. Best way would be to significantly lower all side quest xp gain.

No, it's not perfect. But it's either that, modify the xp requirements through a hex editor or nothing right now. There's no guarantee that Obsidian will ever tweak the xp values.

Edited by View619

In general, I think they should lower XP generally but buff it for party members missing from your team (maybe significantly so if you're running solo).

Such an XP system would encourage people playing parties of less than 6 to level a smaller party higher, which currently isn't really something people care for.

Edited by Jojobobo

I'm not sure I want everything that's in the IE mod, and it seems parts of it are mandatory. Could I get some tips on how much I should reduce it via hex editor? I haven't gotten more than 10% into the game so I really have no clue where to start. I'm not playing solo, full party, and plan on completing most if not all quests.

Nerfing XP across the board isn't enough, imo. What's needed is to drop the murderhobo experience and the lockpicking/trap experience, and then increase the necessary experience for levels exponentially, so that higher-level requirements gets bigger than the lower-level requirements.

My proposal was +3% per experience level.

Currently it looks like this:

Level 	1 	2 	3 	4 	5 	6 	7 	8 	9 	10 	11 	12
XP 	0 	1,000 	3,000 	6,000 	10,000 	15,000 	21,000 	28,000 	36,000 	45,000 	55,000 	66,000
My suggestion would result in:

Level 	1 	2 	3 	4 	5 	6 	7 	8 	9 	10 	11 	12
XP 	0 	1,030 	3,180 	6,540	11,200 	17,250 	24,780 	33,880 	44,640 	57,150 	71,500 	87,780
And:
  • No bestiary experience.
  • No experience for lockpicking instead of using keys.
  • No experience from disarming traps instead of evading/tripping.
  • No crazy 10-50% bonus for small parties.
  • Reduce the experience awarded for bounties by ~40%.
The result would be that instead of just shy of level 11 by the end of Act 2, you should be firmly in level 9, maybe just below, assuming you did ~7 levels of Endless Paths of Odd Nua. You would likely not reach level 12 until the very end of the game at best, which is as it should be.

For reference, currently, assuming that you do ~7 levels of Endless Paths, you end up with almost exactly 50 000 experience by the end of Act 2. Or, in other terms, halfway between level 10 and 11. My suggested changes should bump this down to approx. ~40 000 instead - so in the vicinity of "firmly level 8/just about level 9".

Which should actually result in a much better pacing overall.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Maybe, but if this happens (Im not worried, it won´t) you´re effectively punishing players who mostly play these kind of games for the min/max combat tactical experience such as myself.

For my first playthrough, I immerse myself in the world. But for any subsequent playthrough, I do as few quests as possible, and play the game for the combat itself and continous progression through the main quest line. Not getting any EXP from the beastiary (which is already too low IMO, and too much from quests) would feel really bad.

Maybe, but if this happens (Im not worried, it won´t) you´re effectively punishing players who mostly play these kind of games for the min/max combat tactical experience such as myself.

For my first playthrough, I immerse myself in the world. But for any subsequent playthrough, I do as few quests as possible, and play the game for the combat itself and continous progression through the main quest line. Not getting any EXP from the beastiary (which is already too low IMO, and too much from quests) would feel really bad.

It's a roleplaying game, not a combat sim. If you're playing PoE for the combat, my only question would be why.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Luckmann - you forgot "no exploration XP". It's mostly inconsequential in amount but so overly stupid in concept.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus