[1.04]Very short video proof that damage enchant on weapon and hit quality damage mod are additive for melee&ranged weapons

Can you please explain what does it mean in simple words? What is conclusion?

It was really hard to hear you in video btw. You speak very quiet, at least for me. From what I think I understand is that 1.45 from enchant do not modify base damage but add as bonus damage like all other modals etc- is that correct?

Thank you in advance for it!

Edited by Voltron

It means that weapon damage is (weapon's base damage) * (sum of all damage multipliers)

So for example you do critical hit against enemy with you fine sword your damage would be 11-16 * (1+ 0.15+ 0.5) =  18.15 - 26.4

What i wonder is does the might bonus change your base damage or is it just a multiplier like everything else ?

you could watch the 4 minute video, or you could keep wondering ...

You cant tell from the video because he makes the base damage a fixed value...

"He" who made this video and me who posted the link are actually one and the same .. And you CAN tell from the video - might bonus gets into the formula like everything else and it does NOT modify weapon base damage .. Only thing that I'm aware of altering weapon base damage numbers is the fighter skill "confident aim" .

WPNTVf7.jpg

"He" who made this video and me who posted the link are actually one and the same .. And you CAN tell from the video - might bonus gets into the formula like everything else and it does NOT modify weapon base damage .. Only thing that I'm aware of altering weapon base damage numbers is the fighter skill "confident aim" .

Pls check without fixing the base damage coz i'm not satisfied.

So Might is overrated ? It's mostly for spells and abilities like healing ?

Sorta. It's still pretty useful - 30% damage is two whole levels of weapon enchantment or over half a crit all the time. Which is nothing to shake a stick at.

But as PoE continues on to the expansion and sequel, Might will (if nothing is changed) become less and less important. As will graze/crit. It's a fundamental design flaw in the system - here's hoping they realize that and rectify it before coming out with more games in the series.

A few changes that would help to fix these issues:

1) Make Might multiplicative. Obviously this would solve the problem, but could also make Might more powerful than they want it to be.

2) Make weapon quality actually change the base damage of weapons. This increases the effect of Might (and all other modifiers) as the series progresses and weapons get more powerful.

3) Make graze/crit multiplicative. This keeps Accuracy important, but could again lead to certain things (crit multiplier stacking for one) becoming more powerful than Obsidian would prefer.

Personally, I prefer #2 the most. Since the base damage already changes in the UI, this would make things much more intuitive, but without severely disrupting the balance. Though honestly all 3 with appropriate balance adjustments would make the most sense.

They originally switched from multiplicative boni to additive because some classes (Rogue) were reaching hideous damage numbers by stacking lots of multiplicative boni. It was a necessary change, but they went too far IMO. Might, weapon quality, and graze/crit boni should've stayed multiplicative. It's just super counterintuitive otherwise - not to mention the original issue I was replying to which is that Might becomes much less important over time.

Edited by Matt516

I think those components of damage which are present in every damage roll - graze/hit/crit, might should be multiplicative. I understand the main concern when designing this was that it would get out of hand when player stacks too many buffs. But graze/hit/crit and might are always there.

Essentially it looks like Dexterity (action speed) is the only multiplicative part of the damage calculation. It's not just expansions, base game has plenty of enchantments, chants etc which add damage. Dexterity acts like time distortion, it lets you get more out of potions, enchantments and stuff.

Calling any damage bonus in the game "multiplier" is highly misleading.

Edited by b0rsuk

Tried watching the video, but due to either a very poor mic, or poor audio recording in general, I couldn't understand 80% of what was being said.

Yes a very cheap mic was involved and my accent it very thick - you could try turning up the volume ( OS & youtube player) .. 

But the video should work pretty well as self explanatory proof EVEN if you totally mute the audio.. All the numbers used are read from the game screens .. You would have to have a basic understanding of the game damage mechanics (associate + 0.2 + 0.2  with reckless attack + savage attack) and  ...+0.5 ... With sneak attacks ..

WPNTVf7.jpg

Good to know, might always seemed like the superior stat over dexterity.

Same applies to elemental and slaying enchants ?

No

Elemental enchants - work as % of weapon damage inflicted and always go against 25% of the appropriate target's resist 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78239-abilities-various-other-damage-related-mechanics-revealed/?p=1670860

(this makes the damage they do sort of multiplicative - is no longer truly multiplicative once you stack multiple lashes)

This mechanic applies to a plethora of abilities (flames of devotion (50%), torments reach melee component (50%), turning wheel (5% per wound), lightning strikes(10%), marked prey(40%), shapeshift wildstrike (30?%) ,elemental enchant on weapon (25%) ,to name but a few  )

Slaying enchant on weapon I didn't test yet - I did test beast-slayer in talent form and it was additive.. I'm 99.9% certain they'll turn up to be additive as well when I get the time to test them..

Edited by peddroelm
  • Like 1

WPNTVf7.jpg