Pallegina is Rihanna...

The jawline, chin, cheekbones, and forehead/brow are all very close. The nose ridge is slightly different, and obviously the lips are thicker.

But if you're gonna make a black female character, always take the least black famous attractive black chick you can think of and work from there. So it was either gonna be Rihanna, Beyonce, or Halle Berry. :p

Edited by Keneth

Except for the lips, nose, and jawline, sure.

I don't know, the nose and jawline is very close.

Pallegina is at least 50% more Subsaharan N.. African, though. The nostrils are wider and the lips are much bigger.

The ears also look different.

It is as if Pallegina was drawn with the picture of Rihanna and a fat tribal woman as references.

And a parrot.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Sounds like anthropology experts here ;)

If anything sounds remotely racist its the thought .. about making black female character. I mean, so what you gonna do if you intend to make white female character? You don't need to pick famous attractive white chick? lol

I love internet.

Sounds like anthropology experts here ;)

If anything sounds remotely racist its the thought .. about making black female character. I mean, so what you gonna do if you intend to make white female character? You don't need to pick famous attractive white chick? lol

I love internet.

There's plenty of white female characters who are modeled after celebrities. It's a common practice.

I mean, so what you gonna do if you intend to make white female character? You don't need to pick famous attractive white chick?

White women are by far the most universally liked of all the races, so you have your pick of the litter. I would also wager a guess that cRPGs are played most prominently by white people, so that would be a target audience as well. I know people like to pretend that we're all equal, but the simple fact is that there are differences between people of different descent, and negroid physical features in women are often considered less attractive than those of other races. So, if you're gonna try and make an attractive black woman character, the best selection of women to model your character on will likely be some of the famous "black" women (since fame is largely about appearance these days). But also more than likely is that you'll end up with a handful of mulatto women whose physical features are more white than black.

It's not racist to acknowledge the differences between the human races and how these features affect the perceptions of people around them.

Doing a quick google search, trying to find a picture of Rihanna with a closter facial angle the best I can say is that I think the nose and brow line might be the similar.  Mouth and jawline are pretty different IMO.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I mean, so what you gonna do if you intend to make white female character? You don't need to pick famous attractive white chick?

White women are by far the most universally liked of all the races, so you have your pick of the litter. I would also wager a guess that cRPGs are played most prominently by white people, so that would be a target audience as well. I know people like to pretend that we're all equal, but the simple fact is that there are differences between people of different descent, and negroid physical features in women are often considered less attractive than those of other races. So, if you're gonna try and make an attractive black woman character, the best selection of women to model your character on will likely be some of the famous "black" women (since fame is largely about appearance these days). But also more than likely is that you'll end up with a handful of mulatto women whose physical features are more white than black.

It's not racist to acknowledge the differences between the human races and how these features affect the perceptions of people around them.

There is no such a thing as biological race when it comes to humans, may wanna check on that with real anthropologist like AAA. However, can you support the claim about white women or is this something everyone knows? Not gonna even ask for evidence of your wager because .. lol  You got lot to work with now anyway.

Edited by knownastherat

There is no such a thing as biological race when it comes to humans

I agree, actually, but "race" is an accepted word, even in the scientific community, to distinguish between the ethno-racial groups within our actual biological race.

However, can you support the claim about white women or is this something everyone knows?

Nearly ever study, poll, and statistic I've ever seen ostensibly supports my claim. That is not to say I haven't seen claims to the contrary, but it's hard to say how much of the "evidence" on either side is just propaganda or undeliberate misinterpretation of data (which may or may not even contain a valid sample). As I am not an anthropologist, I have never put any of the research under scrutiny, nor would I care to do so, as it would require drawing some very hard lines and only lead to pointless arguments.

That said, I care little for being politically correct. I do not blindly believe that men of all races are equal or that men and women are equal. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. We are all different, wonderfully so in fact, and part of that is because of our genes (and sex chromosomes).

Not gonna even ask for evidence of your wager

I don't have any evidence to support my guess. Which is why I said it was a guess, merely based on my personal experience in the gaming industry.

I know anecdotal evidence isn't worth squat, but if you can find any evidence to the contrary with regards to cRPGs, I'd be more than willing to concede to my error. I'd actually be quite interested in making a poll for the PoE community, but that would probably be too tacky.

• Like 1

There is no such a thing as biological race when it comes to humans, may wanna check on that with real anthropologist like AAA. However, can you support the claim about white women or is this something everyone knows? Not gonna even ask for evidence of your wager because .. lol  You got lot to work with now anyway.

Of course there are races, it's a biological reality. Humans are in no way exempt from evolutionary variance. Exactly what constitutes a race is entirely debatable, but to say that there is no such thing when it comes to humans is childish and ignorant. The most commonly accepted term is "population".

As for the claim that white women is considered the most beautiful, there's been countless surveys and a few scientific studies. Nothing that Google can't find for you, honestly.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Stories (Spoiler Warning!)

Well, I guess  American Anthropological Association is childish and ignorant then. Link is posted but I have no choice but quote:

With the vast expansion of scientific knowledge in this century, however, it has become clear that human populations are not unambiguous, clearly demarcated, biologically distinct groups. Evidence from the analysis of genetics (e.g., DNA) indicates that most physical variation, about 94%, lies within so-called racial groups. Conventional geographic "racial" groupings differ from one another only in about 6% of their genes. This means that there is greater variation within "racial" groups than between them.

http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/racepp.htm

My bold. I am not sure about "entirely" debatable. It possibly is debatable given some grounds but I am afraid  " Of course there are races, it's a biological reality. Humans are in no way exempt from evolutionary variance." will not cut it. AAA argument seems pretty solid. Humans are not dogs.

I am not gonna repeat myself and everyone who reads this thread can judge for her/himself what sounds like racist remark and whatnot. What I learned here is that we have experts on African noses here which is great.

Edited by knownastherat

Except for the lips, nose, and jawline, sure.

Also the ears.  Pallegina's ears are attached, Rhianna's are separated.  But since we're naming random black stars, I think Pallegina is a dead ringer for Gabourey Sidibe:

precious2.jpg

In all honesty, Grace Jones is probably a better reference.

grace-jones-la-eyework.jpg

Edited by anameforobsidian

Stories (Spoiler Warning!)

Well, I guess  American Anthropological Association is childish and ignorant then. Link is posted but I have no choice but quote:

With the vast expansion of scientific knowledge in this century, however, it has become clear that human populations are not unambiguous, clearly demarcated, biologically distinct groups. Evidence from the analysis of genetics (e.g., DNA) indicates that most physical variation, about 94%, lies within so-called racial groups. Conventional geographic "racial" groupings differ from one another only in about 6% of their genes. This means that there is greater variation within "racial" groups than between them.

http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/racepp.htm

My bold. I am not sure about "entirely" debatable. It possibly is debatable given some grounds but I am afraid  " Of course there are races, it's a biological reality. Humans are in no way exempt from evolutionary variance." will not cut it. AAA argument seems pretty solid. Humans are not dogs.

I am not gonna repeat myself and everyone who reads this thread can judge for her/himself what sounds like racist remark and whatnot. What I learned here is that we have experts on African noses here which is great.

Yes, they are, because they seek to reinterpret rather than refute. What they are essentially arguing is what constitutes race, and on that basis, argue that race is not real. The bolded text makes this clear, because race has never been about the percentage of difference between individuals, but about the commonality within population groups relative to other population groups. We share 50% of our DNA with bananas, and 96% of our DNA with chimpanzees.

Boiling it down to semantics is meaningless if you don't even understand the terms being used. Whether you choose to call it race, subrace, ethnicity or population group is ultimately immaterial, what we're talking about is meaningful genetic differences between human groups and subgroups. This difference could be in anything from genetic resistances to disease (such as Malaria), hormone production, relative intelligence, to physiology (skin colour, eye shape, etc).

It is possible to discuss whether these things are meaningful or not, but to not discuss it and to deny that they are real is nothing short of foolish and ignorant; worse than ignorant, wilfully ignorant.

t50aJUd.jpg

...ella, ella, ay, ay, ay...

Actually I could kind of see Grace Jones.  Pallegina is definitely the type of character she would have played in movies too.  Slightly crazy, headstrong, loves to fight.

Come on, Adam.