Found a perfect description for PoE!

Deep as Mariana Trench, high as Olympus Mons, width as Equator, long as Nile, and flawed as Human.

Hahahahahaha ! Comedy !  If Pillars of Eternity is so big to you, I wonder what is your favorite RPG ? Some post-2006 trash? Ahahahh

You are by far the weakest troll in these forums. At least make some kind of effort. I wince every time I see you cry "Anal rape!" in the countless threads you start.

For someone who hates the game so much, you spend an inordinate amount of time riding it hard. Yes, that was a euphemism.

• Like 1

Knife-fight-plunger-lick.gif?

Big as the sea. Deep as a puddle. Isnt that cool?

big as purple and deep as banana.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Limiting the liberties the player has within the game engine doesn't do good to depth of a RPG.

Some reasons for which PoE is shallow compared to the classics, that quickly comes to mind:

- Locked chest / doors (without key) - PoE only allows you to open these with mechanics, no mechanics => no opened door. Most of RPGs allow you to lockpick, bash/destroy or open by spell. A minus to PoE.

- Being stuck in combat - why can't you flee if you have superior speed or a magical meanings to escape (like invisibility)? Fencing the player once the combat has started removes another layer of depth, most of the classic RPGs allows you to change the map if you run away.

- Cannot use items on neutral / hostile creatures to alter their stats or attitude towards PC. In Arcanum the humanoid creatures even picked up ground items near them, in PoE you cannot even drop an item on the ground.

- No routine for neutral creatures in the game world based by day/night cycles. Even in BG1 some shops were closed at night, in Arcanum the shopkeepers were locking their shops and went to their beds. Not to speak of the living world of Ultima 7

It seems that for every two steps forward in one aspect, PoE took two steps back in another.

- Locked chest / doors (without key) - PoE only allows you to open these with mechanics, no mechanics => no opened door. Most of RPGs allow you to lockpick, bash/destroy or open by spell. A minus to PoE.

Well, in BG/BG2/IWD it was FAR to easy to open chests BECAUSE of the spell. You didnt need to have an thief for that because of the open lock spell. It also worked 100%. In PoE you HAVE to train someone to open locks otherwise you cant open then. For me this is a plus because its it give me a reason to lean the mechanics skill.

- Being stuck in combat - why can't you flee if you have superior speed or a magical meanings to escape (like invisibility)? Fencing the player once the combat has started removes another layer of depth, most of the classic RPGs allows you to change the map if you run away.

LOL, realy... I have used this "tactic" in the IE games often : Enter a room, pull some enemies (mostly only a few followed me) and killed them, rewind and repeat until i have won. Also a great example : Pull some mobs and close the door. NPC in the IE games weren able to open doors. Sorry, again no valid point.

- Cannot use items on neutral / hostile creatures to alter their stats or attitude towards PC. In Arcanum the humanoid creatures even picked up ground items near them, in PoE you cannot even drop an item on the ground.

True, but :

NPCs in the IE games didnt use loot  too, also Fallout1/2 didnt worked this way. Do you blame these games that the npc´s didnt use stuff thats is lying on the ground?

You comparing ONE game with all other made before. Are you serious?

But why stop here : Lets blame that PoE doesnt allow me to ride horses or dragons...

- No routine for neutral creatures in the game world based by day/night cycles. Even in BG1 some shops were closed at night, in Arcanum the shopkeepers were locking their shops and went to their beds. Not to speak of the living world of Ultima 7

True, but AGAIN, you comparing PoE with all Features of all RPG that comes to your mind. 

BTW :  In BG2 there arent day/night routines too, BG2 sucks!

PoE is far from perfect, but it could be a great start of a new cRPG series. I think your main problem is that you have WAY to high expections into this game, because you wish ALL good things from the old RPG´s you love to play. This is not realistic, with this attitude you will not enjoy a new  RPG anymore in the future.

You have to compare PoE with BG1 without the expansion and in this case.. oh boy... PoE wished the floor with BG1.

Edited by Ramireza

Well, in BG/BG2/IWD it was FAR to easy to open chests BECAUSE of the spell. You didnt need to have an thief for that because of the open lock spell. It also worked 100%. In PoE you HAVE to train someone to open locks otherwise you cant open then. For me this is a plus because its it give me a reason to lean the mechanics skill.

LOL, realy... I have used this "tactic" in the IE games often : Enter a room, pull some enemies (mostly only a few followed me) and killed them, rewind and repeat until i have won. Also a great example : Pull some mobs and close the door. NPC in the IE games weren able to open doors. Sorry, again no valid point.

True, but :

NPCs in the IE games didnt use loot  too, also Fallout1/2 didnt worked this way. Do you blame these games that the npc´s didnt use stuff thats is lying on the ground?

But why stop here : Lets blame that PoE doesnt allow me to ride horses or dragons...

True, but AGAIN, you comparing PoE with all Features of all RPG that comes to your mind. 

PoE is far from perfect, but it could be a great start of a new cRPG series. I think your main problem is that you have WAY to high expections into this game, because you wish ALL good things from the old RPG´s you love to play. This is not realistic, with this attitude you will not enjoy a new  RPG anymore in the future.

You have to compare PoE with BG1 without the expansion and in this case.. oh boy... PoE wished the floor with BG1.

I only pointed out things that gives an RPG depth and PoE lacks, you can always abuse a game engine but that's another discussion (and the more complex the engine is, the easier is to find ways to abuse it).

I didn't say I don't enjoy PoE, I like it, but for me it's on the same level with other old-school RPGs released in the few last years, like Divinity Original Sin, Might & Magic X, Lords of Xulima, Avernum Escape from the Pit etc

Probably I expected more given the hype, but PoE brings nothing new on the table and doesn't stand out from the other good games listed above.

Edited by gunman78

This is really getting pathetic.  Sensuki's temper tantrums, the sudden flood of negative spam, the troll codex review, etc.  It's a bunch of incestuous communities realizing that their groupthink isn't dominant, and they don't own works of creative expression that they had no part in making.  The comments, like the original post, are neither valuable nor insightful.

If the game was really bad, people would be ignoring it.  I can't think of the last time I talked about Assassin's Creed 1 or the Syndicate FPS.  To give an rpg example, I'll talk the **** out of some Geneforge and Avernum/Exile, but I've mostly ignored Avadon.  People are still talking about and enjoying PE, despite the trolls.

Agree 100%.  Well said.

You absolutely can run away from enemies and exit combat.  If you go a certain distance, enemies give up, turn around, and go back to their spawn points.  You can even exploit this for fun and profit.  Few classes just have the speed required since many enemies (rightly) can move faster than humans.  Chanters, barbs, wizards, and I believe monks have abilities that let you move fast enough to get away if you haven't found boots of speed yet.

You absolutely can run away from enemies and exit combat.  If you go a certain distance, enemies give up, turn around, and go back to their spawn points.  You can even exploit this for fun and profit.  Few classes just have the speed required since many enemies (rightly) can move faster than humans.  Chanters, barbs, wizards, and I believe monks have abilities that let you move fast enough to get away if you haven't found boots of speed yet.

But not if you are fighting in a cave for example. You can't exit the cave (which is absurd) so you can't  put enough distance between you and the enemies. Placing artificial restrictions to prevent abuse is never good.

Also if a creature retreats from combat towards his spawn point and the combat ends, it has all his health automatically restored (another artificial and immersion breaking solution, why not reset health after 8 hours at least?)

I don't see how it's a plus, having only one way to open locked chests - hard tied to a skill. Which brings us to the skill system in PoE in which we have only two useful skills and the rest are dump.

Arcanum for example has all these feats.

Correct me if I am wrong (I haven't played BG2 in a while), but in BG2 the locations are populated based on day/night cycles. Eg. bandits or vampires appear in different parts of the city at night.

Edited by gunman78