Sooo, I just hit Level 3 with my newly built Dualwielding Barbarian, and I am not too satisfied so far (maxxed Str and Dex, using Cloth Armor, did not drop anything below 8 ). He just doesnt seem to be as devestating as I had hoped. (my other Try with a 2Hander worked better)

Now I know that One Stands Alone makes this path EXTREMELY powerful once you reach lvl 5 yet ... the consensus seems to be this ability will receive a HEAVY Nerf with the next patch.

So let me ask you "Barbarian-Users" with more experience: Is the Dual Wield Barbarian still valid if one stands alone is "mostly gone"?

Necessary Infos: Difficulty: hard, will be using at least 1-2 Story Companions (probably Kana and/or Durance).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Arkh`Cthuul

IMO the use of 2 weapons is encouraged on classes that get multiple uses of "full attack" abilities per encounter .. 

ex:

Monk will discharge 2 torments reaches per wound. (and its AOE component doesn't depend on equipped weapon damage) ..

Stun fist - get two chances to stun with DW ..

Rogues - various blinding , crippling, weakening .. for each of those you double your chance to apply the needed effect by using 2 weapons.. + Rogues get the damage bonuses to worry less about DR ..

Barbs only get HeartOfFury which is very cool in theory but sadly 1 per/rest (IMHO ability is not THAT good to justify this limitation)..  You can use this to apply 2 hits (hit/carnage to all hostile units surrounding your barbarian and carnage hits hitting even targets further back with 25% additive damage bonus .. Wait for blooded/fighting spirit to trigger and activate the ability  .. With two weapons you (should) be able to do this twice - 4 hits per neighbor )  .. Did not actually test this .. 

Vengeful defeat also lists full attack -> probably a must for dw barb ..

I would use peasant focus to try this - quarterstaff is great in crowded spaces, spears when you feel like making use of blooded/fighting spirit/HoF (move barb forward) .. Also remains to be seen what the balanced OSA will look like .. Will probably NEED things like vulnerable attack for your carnage hit/grazes to do damage (barbs don't really get that many damage bonuses like rogue does) ..  

Dual sabres are stronger than spears (would leave them for the rogue who can IMO make better use of them, but if you don't have a rogue) , but don't offer the fall back extended weapon option which is very useful (my pike barb stays "glued" to the back of my fighter - like the fighter carries him on its backpack everywhere he goes - even more hilarious if fighter is aumaua and barb  dwarf or orlan .. If you trust your "fighter shield" to stay up can drop heavy armor on barb (WILL NEED it with 2 weapons) and stay away from skills like blooded/fighting spirit which won't trigger very often    ) ..  

2w build should love fighting spirit/blooded/vengeful defeat/HoF  , retaliation gear (heard it triggers carnage - are the resulting canages also autohit ? EDIT yes they are) .. Would be interesting how much vengeful defeat could be "abused" - second chance item, healing spells (paladin one also providing the kill : ) in the same package )  ..

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

Think there was another reddit thread floating around with the actual DPS numbers even with DR factored in, etc.

Basically, two average weapons (not including sabres) were comparable about 4 dps (20 vs 24) less than 2 handers with the talents available.  Vulnerable attack + savage + two weapon, etc.  They just took a lot more talents to get there versus just using a 2 hander.  Adding in the other modifiers like OSA even if it gets "fixed" to 20% would put them on par with 2 handers then.

Now with barbarian, they have what?  66% dmg of their primary weapon via Carnage, so bigger chunkier hits = better for them.  This all said, the sabre is only like 2 dmg behind for a main weapon next to other 2 handers and when that is factored in, they surpass 2 handers.

TLDR:  Its fine, even if they "fix" it as you supposedly attack more with dual sabres and the Carnage doesn't suffer that much and should have more attacks anyway.

IMO the use of 2 weapons is encouraged on classes that get multiple uses of "full attack" abilities per encounter .. 

ex:

Monk will discharge 2 torments reaches per wound. (and its AOE component doesn't depend on equipped weapon damage) ..

Stun fist - get two chances to stun with DW ..

Rogues - various blinding , crippling, weakening .. for each of those you double your chance to apply the needed effect by using 2 weapons.. + Rogues get the damage bonuses to worry less about DR ..

[snip]

Would it hold for lets say weapons with additional effect like Stun or Prone*?

---

edit: *for classes without "full attack" abilities

Edited by knownastherat

Would it hold for lets say weapons with additional effect like Stun or Prone*?

---

edit: *for classes without "full attack" abilities

Not sure what you're asking ? Would dual wield be recommended for using presumably fast weapons  with proc effects on strike/hit ? I don't know the weapon list of this game to give an answer..  If such weapons exist, with good chance to trigger significant effects - yes - carnage will roll to hit for effect for each target in range .. The CC  2w  barbarian build is born :) ..

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg