Need help choosing for POD! Barbarian build

Hi all!

Ok so each time i play these type of games I take one difficulty below the highest make it mid-way and restart...dunno why i do that anyway...

I really want to make a Barbarian but I wanted to know if it a good class for POD.... I have some questions regarding that class also...

I also want to play with the original companions the game offer...

So here are my questions :

1) Since i want to play POD, should i focus only on DPS for the barb ? Or could I have a mid-tank mid-DPS guy ?

2) I would like to dual wield but everyone seems to say 2h is better for barbarian is that true ?

3) I would like to play God like...is it a good class choice ? And if yes which should i choose ? (the fire seems cool)

4) Is the class considered good for POD or just good in general in this game ?

5) Finnaly, what stats should I start with ? Talents ?

That it...I really searched for barbarian info and POD and found nothing so I would really apprciate you're help

P.S : Would a Paladin be a good choice for POD....that was my second choice

Thank all!

I'm playing with a solo barb right now on PoD.

1.  Build some tankiness into your barb, you will miss enemies a lot, and they will hit you a lot.   

2.  Dual-Wielding is uniquely good for barbs because of the one stands alone talent.  It can be viable from what I've heard.

3.  Moon-godlike is best, but fire could work for a solo run.

4.  It's received mixed reviews, unless you use retribution.  I love it.

5.  I would crank might, res, and probably int or perception.  Might is great for moon-godlikes, because your healing ability triggers every single battle.  Barbs do get a huge benefit from con.

My stats aren't the best, so I can't recommend a stat build.  I will say this for abilities:

At level 1 it's up to you, although the barbs terror will mostly be overwritten by a story power you get at the end of act 1, so Frenzy was the choice for me.

Get wild sprint at level 3 if you're soloing.  It lets you run away from bad fights.  Also, if you're careful, you can watch the enemies, and use it to pull groups of one or two at a time, which is easier.

One stands alone is awesome.  Get it when it pops up at level 5, because 20 static damage per hit can't be beat.  My barbarian is now more likely to survive a fight with multiple enemies than a one on one duel.

Talents:

You need to get proficiency talents as soon as possible.  Accuracy is a big issue in PoD.  Adventurer has some really nice ones, but no range, and the weapons are hard to find.

Also, I like accurate carnage a lot.  It means that you can target the weaker and less armored opponents, and it's easier to hit the armored ones.

Hi all!

Ok so each time i play these type of games I take one difficulty below the highest make it mid-way and restart...dunno why i do that anyway...

I really want to make a Barbarian but I wanted to know if it a good class for POD.... I have some questions regarding that class also...

I also want to play with the original companions the game offer...

So here are my questions :

1) Since i want to play POD, should i focus only on DPS for the barb ? Or could I have a mid-tank mid-DPS guy ?

2) I would like to dual wield but everyone seems to say 2h is better for barbarian is that true ?

3) I would like to play God like...is it a good class choice ? And if yes which should i choose ? (the fire seems cool)

4) Is the class considered good for POD or just good in general in this game ?

5) Finnaly, what stats should I start with ? Talents ?

That it...I really searched for barbarian info and POD and found nothing so I would really apprciate you're help

P.S : Would a Paladin be a good choice for POD....that was my second choice

Thank all!

#1 definitely balance between survival and damage - one stands alone does a lot to increase your damage output, so you can afford building in some defense.

#2 personally i prefer dual wielding 2 rapiers. they're fast, add +5 accuracy each, and 2 weapon style synergizes well enough with the attack speed bonus from frenzy and bloodlust that you won't need more then the default 10 dex to still hit fast and hard.

#3 Yes, godlike is the way to go. i would pick moon godlike over fire godlike any day though, the healing ticks once you fall to 75,50 and 25% are pretty crazy with a high int score, and a high int score also increases the range on your carnage (the passive ability that turns your melee hits into AoE) INT is a barbs most important score IMHO

#4 very good. 1st char i've seen that completed triple crown achievement was a barbarian, it's what i  based my character on.

#5 : just gonna quote myself on an earlier post in a diffrent thread where i was also discussing barbarians : 

My barbarians stats : 

16 Might - getting another +2 from my gauntlets for 18 total, gives me plenty of damage, also adds fortitude (one of the 4 defenses, fortitude will save you from poison/disease)

15 Constitution - getting another +3 from my belt, also at 18 total, More then enough endurance and health not to die this way, adds even more fortitude defense.

10 Dexterity - nothing here from items. 10 is just right, no bonus to attack speed and reflex defense (reflex defense works vs aoe attacks) but no penalty either. since my char is dualwielding 2 rapiers wich are very fast, and is getting 1.33 attack speed bonus from frenzy (which i use every encounter) and another 20% from the dual wield style talent, i attack fast enough. there's really not enough enemies using aoe atacks that you can't bring down fast to merit pumping dex just for the reflex defense either.

3 Perception - Minimized so i had points to spend everywhere else. gives me penalties to reflex defense (allready explained why thats not much of a problem) and also to deflection defense (deflection works vs melee and ranged attacks) but barbarian doesnt get much deflection anyway, and any penalty will be offset by a high resolve score anyway(wich gives a bonus to deflection) and lastly, low perception means i dont interrupt enemies as much - but this doesn't matter, i'd rather kill the enemy so fast he doesnt even have tome to get off an attack i have to interrupt. as far as melee dps goes, Perception is the stat you can skimp on the most, leaving it at 3 is fine.

18 Intelligence - +2 from my amulet for 20 total. (trying to find a  +3 int amulet) Most important stat for a barbarian, since it adds to the range of our carnage, wich makes all our melee attacks into aoe. also adds a ton of Will defense (will defense helps against things like confusion/fear/charm) 

16 Resolve - +2 from my armor for 18 total. - First off, offsets the penalty to deflection i get from my low perception score. More importantly, adds even more Will defense (mental attack effects are the worst in this game for sure) and most importantly, gives me a good concentration score. The higher your concentration is, the less chance enemies will interrupt you. very important in being able to apply the most DPS in the shortest time possible.

As far as abilities and talents go, here's what i have on my lvl 10 barbarian at the moment:

Lvl 1 : Frenzy - for obvious reasons, the +might and con are nice, the increased attack speed is very nice to have since i only have 10 dex.

Lvl 2 : Accurate carnage - more accuracy means more hits and crits.

Lvl 3 : Savage defiance - Gets you through lvl 3 and 4, nice to have all around - you can't do damage if you're laying on the ground unconscious.

Lvl 4 : Stalwart Defiance - beefs up savage defiance to give +10 to all defenses, really nice to have, since i usually use savage defiance after frenzy has worn off - this offsets the loss of offense by giving me better defense. nice for those longer battles.

Lvl 5 : One stands along - For obvious reasons. +20 damage on all hits and being able to engage 1 more enemy before being flanked is really OP, pretty much the ability that makes this class work as well as it does.

Lvl 6 : Two weapon style - More attack speed.

Lvl 7 : Bloodlust : It's easy to down 2 enemies fast as a barb because our melee AoE's, this passive gives you x1.2 attack speed for 8 seconds once you do. This, paired with the attack speed from 2 weapon style and frenzy, pus the fact that i am using 2 rapiers, wich are both fast weapons i hit very often. not as much of a shotgun as a monk with 20 dex and 2 weapon style, but close enough.

Lvl 8 : Weapon focus : Noble : Adds +6 accuracy to attacks with my rapiers. i use 2 rapiers because they get a +5 accuracy bonnus on their own. together with the bonus from accurate carnage that's +21 accuracy right there.

Lvl 9 : Thick skinned : 2 more DR vs melee attacks is never a bad thing. Barbarian shout is also a good contender, but i prefer thick skinned since  i dont need to activate it, it's allways 'on' since it's a passive.

Lvl 10 : Savage attack : my 2nd reason for stacking accuracy. this modal ability lets you trade in 5 accuracy for 1.2x the attack damage.

I've since also picked up heart of fury @ lvl 11.

Edited by Xosmi

xosmi.gif