I would have to agree on this one, you can't really define a rotation that would work all the time because not everything has the same defenses, and ideally you want to use spells that target the opposition's weakest defenses.  I will say that I opened with Chill Fog almost every encounter though, and I would almost be tempted to say that I think the spell itself is overpowered.  I'm not 100% sure before Secrets of Rime, but late game on lower DR targets it was ticking for 15-20 damage and usually landed a blind on that same target.  Blind has great offensive value for the deflection and reflex debuffs, while also having great defensive value for the accuracy debuff it gives.  With high INT the fog will last for 20-25 seconds, damaging and blinding creatures the whole time, and all of that for a level 1 spell.  After that I would say Essential Phantom is good against anything not highly resistant to shock damage, and makes exceptionally quick work of animats.  It has 81 accuracy, which is very high, targets reflex, which for most targets will be lower than deflection, and its attack have the blast component applied to them, although its version seems to be more powerful than the wizard talent.  It also has decent defenses and endurance so you can cast it between yourself and the creatures post pull and it will tank pretty effectively.  A lot of it is experimentation with what works and what doesn't, but also your spell picks may not be the same as mine based on your playstyle.  Sorry for rambling the main point though is that there are a myriad of effective ways to approach each encounter, and your way can and will probably be different due to how you play your wizard compared to how I play mine.

• Like 1

***SPOILER ALERT***

hmmm

I'm having a lot of trouble. Was doing fine up until the last few guilded vale quests. I can't complete Calisca's sister. The myconids are too tough. They spot me while casting the first spell, charge me, knock me down, kill me. BS isn't lasting long enough to make any difference. Even if I get all of them in a slicken knockdown which is almost impossible, they'll only be down long enough for me to get 1 fan off. I need 2 to kill them.

Blacksmith quest, same thing. No bottlenecks as it is also an outdoor fight. The bandits are too spread out. CCing one group will just have the other charge and kill me. Pretty much same deal with the myconids.

This is why I was asking for early game rotations. Obviously it's not going to be the same for every fight. But it helps with planning and strategy for common mobs such as these. Maybe even just adding general tactics would be helpful.

Any tips? Level 3 right now pretty much staying true to the guide. Though I have no points in stealth just yet.

Thanks again all.

You only need to kill one spore. There is one spore that likes to wander a little and you can catch it on its own by luring it to the cave entrance. That's how my ironman monk made it through. 

Blacksmith bandits, time-honoured way is to lure the 3 trolls to the West towards their location, provoking a pretty even (read: bloody) fight. 

I'll be trying a wizard TCS soon, excited for it.

• Like 1

It is not necessary to complete "A Mother's Plea" if you have hard time beating it. You can get experience elsewhere faster and easier. However, solo Wizard should probably not aggro them all at one. Sneak hugging the right wall and when in range cast Bewildering Spectacle or Silcken from stealth. Immediately after that run back to entrance. Ideally, only one or couple will follow.  

Blacksmith is done by sneaking from east without engaging the bandits. You can lure them to Trolls west or Lurkers east but its not straightforward.

Go south to the broken Bridge, but do not enter from Black Meadow, and complete one quest there. Go to Raedric, enter climbing from west and sneaking inside  and side with him.  

Rotation will do nothing for you in those encounters. Knowing the game and using right tools for given job will. Especially for playing without party.

---

edit: did you take Fast Runner? that will help with kiting/setting up. its not essential but I would recommended it unless you are "pro". before you cast fleet feet you are dead even if its "fast". or eat some Sugar ..

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 1

@Tigranes: hey thanks for the reply. Yeah I noticed one of the little snappers roaming around. Gonna try and pick em off solo, still tough though. He knowcs me down and does crazy damage. I'll give it another go. The troll method for bandits sounds freaken hilarious! I'll try it.

@Knownastherat:  Fast runner would have probably helped. unfortunately I didn't take it. The reason I keep coming back to the idea of "rotation" is because generally speaking, at least for trash mobs, most of them can probably be dealt with in  a similar fashion, albeit a few variables. People used to say the same thing about BG2, but  I can mage solo any encounter in SoA+ToB with less than 10 general strategies, barring a few per encounter variables. Maybe when I learn this game as well as I did that game, it will be possible.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys.

Trash mobs appear basically only in Raedrick at this point. You have relatively isolated encounters to overcome and mobs on  map, not essential for getting item or quest done, are to be left alone when solo. Its bother and unproductive. Even in Act 2 there are not that many trash mobs really. Again, quests with specific set up not fighting through hordes to get to boss. So instead of fighting through, progress through. If you check pinned threads on top there is thread about soloing with info you may find helpful.

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 1

First try: level 2 wizard needing a rest decided it'll just fan of flames Aloth along with the townspeople to get his armour. A wizard pied-a-pied ensues. 

I'll have to reroll tomorrow.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Blacksmith is done by sneaking from east without engaging the bandits. You can lure them to Trolls west or Lurkers east but its not straightforward.

This. People need to sneak more, more and more!

You can use the pile of boxes as a wall. They won't see you if you are coming from the east and go straight to pick up what you want.

Also, I don't see why you would want Athletics 3 ASAP. You have a very limited amount of spells on the early game. So you'll be likely resting quite a lot, no need to rush on Athletics. Now, on the other hand, there are (glorifying music) Stealth and Mechanics. Stealth will allow you to sneak past lots and lots of maps and gain a very decent amount of xp by exploring maps (Raedric's Hold has lots of them and most of them you can sneak past them). Mechanics will give you lots of XP by lockpicking stuff and disarming traps, not to mention loot on hidden areas (also, on high mechanics, your traps have a ridiculous amount of Accuracy).

• Like 1

Definitely not Athletics, not for "optimal" run.

Optimal - easiest, fastest and least risky - is Stealth 5 and Mechanics 3. With this is possible to complete The Old Watcher by level 3 or 4. Besides exp it will then allow for access to Defiance Bay and beyond for more exp and loot without getting into difficult fights.

Optional quests, quests not needed to complete to finish The Old Watcher, are: A Mother's Plea (Ranga at Compass), Vengeance from Grave (Bears in cave) and Buried Secrets (Temple in Gilded Vale). These can be finished after completing The Old Watcher when level 5 with more comfort.

To complete Raedric, Mechanic 5 is needed. There are however 2 useful items in the castle - Boots of Stealth and Gloves of Manipulation which can make things much easier. Sadly, those are RNG.

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 1

Going for TCS Solo... and it's turning out to be a bit of a pacifist run. Took a while to get it sorted but seems doable, I just need to figure out how to handle Thaos. 

The 1.05 Arcane Veil (+75 upgraded), the 3rd level mirror image (+25) = almost unhittable in the first half of the game, and Moon Godlike healing + Gaun's Flail or Corrosive Siphon also improves survivability. 1.05 boost to wizard health is also important. 

I basically skipped Ranga, the conclusion of Raedric quest, had the smith's bandits fight the trolls, lured Maerwald to the beetles, and got to Act 2 at level 4. Currently nearly level 7 and heading to Cilaban Rilag with about 55 kills to the main character's name. 

Athletics isn't necessary for any character in any playthrough. I stuck 3 on him but am regretting it a bit, more stealth would be helpful.

Of course, it's hilarious how you can run past 8, 9 enemies constantly engaging you, with Arcane Veil. 

• Like 1

"hey wizards dont seem to generate any hype, they just seem to be an ok class that does its job" said one of sawyerites

"give them like ton of deflection for no reason and add another 25 on top with cherry " said the master of balance

days later :

Of course, it's hilarious how you can run past 8, 9 enemies constantly engaging you, with Arcane Veil. 

Edited by Atchod

Yeah, wiz TCS is super fun now. I'm not going for pacifist though :D. I think essential phantom + dimensional shift is gonna be great for breaking  from any combat for pacifist. Thaos actually should be not too difficult. He either attacks deflection or reflex and mostly elemental damage. I think you can 1on1 him as wizzy (would prefer a pale elf here though). Petrify is also still strong enough to mess up both him and the statues if you manage to land it.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 2

Yeah, that sounds much better more balanced .. walk anywhere without anything being able to touch you. Chuck Norris mode. But God forbid figurines.

Besides, I was playing pure caster before patch and quite do not get the veil buff. I was running around in clothing, level 9 at the moment, with 0 DR so I do not think I lacked defense. But whatever, what do I know.

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 2

Great comments and tips guys thanks again. I'm actually doing a lot better now. How are you guys dealing with phantoms in Caed? I find I can get 1 spell off before they get to me and start perma stunning.

You can get enough deflection so they don't hit you at all now. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76328-solo-play-tips-not-exploits-potd/?p=1681427.

Old standard tactics included blocking with figurine summon.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 1

"hey wizards dont seem to generate any hype, they just seem to be an ok class that does its job" said one of sawyerites

"give them like ton of deflection for no reason and add another 25 on top with cherry " said the master of balance

days later :

Try it yourself, come back and tell me if it's seriously unbalanced or just a cool thing you can do if you do everything right in certain situations. 

You can't even hyperbole around here without a swarm of hyenas trying to scratch their own itches.

• Like 1

I dont need to try anything , differently than all of obsidian lapdogs i actually played PoE enough to know that 75 deflection from pressing 1 button is neither "doing everything right in certain situations" neither "balanced" 

but then again i ain't a disciple of "balance" in any way i am just mere mortal thinking Numbers ( and actually playing the game , you know PoE it is called did you played it ? I DOUBT IT ) 

also "around here" is best to stay quiet because levels of autism will overwhelm you on every step . 

wondering now if Moderators were forbidden to play PoE so they dont get into pointless discussions with consumers , it seems to be true , but other problem arises when comments that challenges reality are usually written by moderators .

Edited by Atchod

I dont need to try anything , differently than all of obsidian lapdogs i actually played PoE enough to know that 75 deflection from pressing 1 button is neither "doing everything right in certain situations" neither "balanced" 

but then again i ain't a disciple of "balance" in any way i am just mere mortal thinking Numbers ( and actually playing the game , you know PoE it is called did you played it ? I DOUBT IT ) 

also "around here" is best to stay quiet because levels of autism will overwhelm you on every step . 

wondering now if Moderators were forbidden to play PoE so they dont get into pointless discussions with consumers , it seems to be true , but other problem arises when comments that challenges reality are usually written by moderators .

Aha, so you're saying I'm not allowed to play the game, after saying my experience with the game proves you right. Okay!

Another troll this time with moderator tag . Autism over 9k .

Also try to read , and when you fail to do so try to read again , then ask somebody to help you to read and when you are sure you read it all then THINK and after you think then consider if its worth to reply .

Edited by Atchod

Autism over 9k .

People with this number over 9k.  Also... Goku would never use that word on anyone.  Raditz maybe, but I'd like to think he'd be politically correct too and call Goku a lowly peasant, dumb-tail, or similar insults than this.