Hey all, just completed the game with a solo wizard on PotD difficulty and wanted to share the build.  Though most of it will probably be pretty obvious.

Atrributes

15 Might, 15 Dex, 18 Int, Rest 10

I suppose this is more up to personal preference, I typically just stick with a balanced stat spread.

Skills

3 Athletics ASAP

After that typically mix and match between Mechanics and Stealth with a priority given to Mechanics

Key Spells

Level 1 - Chill Fog, Fan of Flames, Slicken, Eldritch Aim

Level 2 - Bewildering Spectacle, Curse of Blackened Sight, Mirrored Image, Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon, Vital Essence

Level 3 - Llengrath's Displaced Image, Deleterious Alacrity of Motion, Expose Vulnerabilities

Level 4 - Confusion, Essential Phantom, Minoletta's Concussive Missiles, Iron Skin

Level 5 - Call to Slumber, Llengrath's Safeguard, Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring, Blast of Frost

Level 6 - Gaze of the Adragan, Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar, Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst, Citzal's Martial Power

High Level Grimoires - Level 6 Spells

Winter's Woes (Noonfrost bookshelf, a single sorcerer patrols near it) with level 5 and level 6 Ninagauth's spells as well as Blast of Frost.  It also has the level 6 spells Arcane Reflection and Piercing Burst. 

Willbreaker (Sky Dragon grimoire) has Arkemyr's and Gaze

Minoletta's (Adra Dragon treasure horde grimoire) has Piercing Burst and Gaze.

The Leaves of Essence (Od Nua 11?) has Martial Power and Death Ring.

Talents

Arcane Veil

Hardened Veil

Weapon and Shield Style

Superior Deflection

Secrets of Rime

One-handed Style

Arcane Veil and then its upgrade are what will keep you alive in the early game while you blast things with spells.  A lot of times I would just drop armor all together and rely on my base deflection, with a small shield, and the veil ability to drop something within it's duration.  Once you grab Mirrored Image your temporary deflection will be very high and most creatures will have a hard time landing consistent hits.  I built primarily defensive, as damage isn't really an issue, and Secrets of Rime gave the most benefit to the higher level, harder hitting spells, as well as Chill Fog which is useful throughout the entire game.

Gear

Act 1

Plate Armor (Backer to the right of Temple)

Fine Sword on first level of temple until you get Gaun's Share (there is a hidden cache on a drake skeleton in Black Marsh with Primal Flames, this allows you to give it burning lash immediately)

Blunting Belt (Blacksmith, buy after quest)

Minor Ring of Deflection (Bear quest)

Cloak/Ring of Minor Protection (Cloak in Cilant Lis, Ring random?)

Act 2

Oaken Scarab Figurine (Hidden by the little middle group in Copperlane)

Iridescent Scarabe Figurine (Heritage Hill, Valtas Tomb)

Obsidian Lamp Figurine (Vailian Embassy in First Fires)

Ring of Deflection and Ring of Protection (Merchant in Copperlane)

Rotfinger Gloves (Cartugo in Ondra's Gift)  [Massively important, used as the main way to debuff higher defense enemies, also your Essential Phantom has access to the casts from the gloves]

Sura's Supper Plate (Locked door in the right section, first floor of Cliaban Rilag)

Finreah's Grace (Doemenel Merchant on second floor)

Lilith's Shawl (Top Floor of the lighthouse)

Boots of the Long March (Far right in Dyrford Crossing, guarded by a pack of Pwgra, Menpwgra, and Forest Lurkers)

Sanguine Plate (Vailan Embassy Task, The Forgotten)

Act 3

Blesca's Labor (Merchant in Hearthsong)

Purgatory (Archdruid in Blood Sands)

Cladhaliath (Lle a Rhemen) [Important] the only way I could get this item was by intentionally leaving a single mob or any amount you can safely not die to alive, then once you acquire the materials and answer the questions, lure that creature/creatures in the room and use figurine summons to stand on the floor icons, then just run up the steps to trigger the cutscene.

Girdle of Maegfolc Might (Leaden Key assassins in Stormwall Gorge)

He Carries Many Scars (Undead Raedric)

Broad Belt of Power (Random?)

Final Boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HvkQfN_-R8

• Like 7

Level 1 - Spirit Shield. Not for DR but for 20 concentration. Chill Fog does nothing in my experience. Slicken I used only to break up groups. Fleet Feet, for example, I used more frequently.

Act I - figurine else encounters like Bears are not pleasant.

Act II - why not Wizardy rings?

Personally, I prefer Fast Runner and Deep Pockets instead of One-Handed Style or Superior Deflection.

3 Athletics asap? Not for me. Stealth 5 and Mechanics 3 asap. Also I am not sure how damage is not issue? In my experience damage is everything because its not possible to endure encounters PoTD solo its only possible to finish them asap, hence damage. But if it worked for you alright.

---

edit:

btw I would be more interested in the Bear vid for example than final fight.

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 1

Chill Fog and Slicken were both amazing for me, with Chill Fog being pretty much my opener for most of the game.  For instance, the bear encounter can be done by opening chill fog, and then letting them mass up in it, then following up with a Slicken.  Typically, the bears will be blinded by the fog, then the slicken is a hit/crit due to the reflex penalty.  You can then follow up with back to back fan of flames, which do a lot of damage due to the massive Reflex penatly of blinded/prone.  I specifically did that encounter with no armor to cast faster.  Even if you get bad luck and the big bear isn't dead for instance, Hardened Veil will keep you up long enough to finish it off.  I did get the figurine in act 1, not sure why I didn't mention it, but I didn't have it for the bear fight.

For my gearing I pretty much focused on my defenses, which I believe allowed me to save spell casts overall, so I didn't have to rest as frequently.  I am defensively minded overall though, I have done PotD solo with Monk, Paladin, and now Wizard, so with the Wizard I had a good idea of the incoming damage I could possibly have to live through.  Though nothing can save you from Thaos's Cleansing Flame, god that is such a stupid ability.  With all buffs active I had I believe 52 Fire DR and it destroyed me regardless.

• Like 1

I did most of the side quests available, I did not do a single bounty though.  I killed Adra for the sake of upgrading to superb, though it was with Petrify so nothing special really.  I gave it a few attempts before resorting to Petrify, but even with a buffed to hell Wizard I just got wrecked regardless of my DR.  One thing I will say is despite almost needing to go there with a Wizard for the grimoire Noonfrost is terrible.  There are issues with both the Wizard's Arcane Dampener and Paladin's Deprive the Unworthy and permanently stripping talents and passives so be careful if you go there with your saves and consistently check to see if anything is missing.  The most noticeable is the loss of deep pockets since you're extra two slots will just go red.  I'm not sure I would change a lot about my build and such, so much of spell picks and talent choices are personal preference.  I'm sure somebody else will solo it with a much more offensive oriented build, but that's what's nice about wizard.  It has a lot of flexibility in how you play it.

• Like 1

Chill Fog and Slicken were both amazing for me, with Chill Fog being pretty much my opener for most of the game.  For instance, the bear encounter can be done by opening chill fog, and then letting them mass up in it, then following up with a Slicken.  Typically, the bears will be blinded by the fog, then the slicken is a hit/crit due to the reflex penalty.  You can then follow up with back to back fan of flames, which do a lot of damage due to the massive Reflex penatly of blinded/prone.  I specifically did that encounter with no armor to cast faster.  Even if you get bad luck and the big bear isn't dead for instance, Hardened Veil will keep you up long enough to finish it off.  I did get the figurine in act 1, not sure why I didn't mention it, but I didn't have it for the bear fight.

For my gearing I pretty much focused on my defenses, which I believe allowed me to save spell casts overall, so I didn't have to rest as frequently.  I am defensively minded overall though, I have done PotD solo with Monk, Paladin, and now Wizard, so with the Wizard I had a good idea of the incoming damage I could possibly have to live through.  Though nothing can save you from Thaos's Cleansing Flame, god that is such a stupid ability.  With all buffs active I had I believe 52 Fire DR and it destroyed me regardless.

You mentioned that you soloed PotD as Monk, Paladin and Wizard. Considering all games content, including Endless Paths 1-15 and bounties- which of those 3 classes you found to be best? Which you had easiest/smoothest solo?

And if you can please share your monk stat distribution. Thank you!

• Like 1

You mentioned that you soloed PotD as Monk, Paladin and Wizard. Considering all games content, including Endless Paths 1-15 and bounties- which of those 3 classes you found to be best? Which you had easiest/smoothest solo?

I just managed to beat Triple Crown Solo on Monk. I am planning to make a guide later on, but for now; here is the video (which shows stat distribution, items, and abilities/talents). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkf5NPMe0vw

Edited by Alnaimi
  • Like 2

I just managed to beat Triple Crown Solo on Monk. I am planning to make a guide later on, but for now; here is the video (which shows stat distribution, items, and abilities/talents). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkf5NPMe0vw

Have you made all Endless Paths 1-15? That is very important for me. I don't like to play only crit path and Endless Dungeon are the biggest factor for me if build/class is good or not. If you can kill everything in endless path solo (of course apart from Adra, for you need petrify)- then build is good :).

Pale Elf? Hmm, If that worked then cool. Moonlike is too good imo on monk to pass :)

And in the video you didn't show you spears, enchants on them etc. Can you tell me what spears did you use. I use Raz-something thorn (Draining) and D-something spear with 1.2 attack speed.

Cheers!

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1

Have you made all Endless Paths 1-15? That is very important for me. I don't like to play only crit path and Endless Dungeon are the biggest factor for me if build/class is good or not. If you can kill everything in endless path solo (of course apart from Adra, for you need petrify)- then build is good :).

Pale Elf? Hmm, If that worked then cool. Moonlike is too good imo on monk to pass :)

And in the video you didn't show you spears, enchants on them etc. Can you tell me what spears did you use. I use Raz-something thorn (Draining) and D-something spear with 1.2 attack speed.

Cheers!

I can assure you that endless paths 1-14 would be a breeze on the build above.

Sorry must of missed hovering over the spears. They are Superb (Had to kill Sky Dragon), with Vessel Slaying and Burning Lash enchantments.

I did all side quests, including all bounties; some of which brought me very close to wiping. I found Shod-in-Faith boots more than enough to keep me up, most of the fights; also on solo, you should be able to invest in Endurance Potions at all time (as really there is nothing else to spend the gold on).

EDIT: Removed previous quotes for readability :)

Edited by Alnaimi
  • Like 1

Cheers!

Sorry must of missed hovering over the spears. They are Superb (Had to kill Sky Dragon), with Vessel Slaying and Burning Lash enchantments.

I did all side quests, including all bounties; some of which brought me very close to wiping. I found Shod-in-Faith boots more than enough to keep me up, most of the fights; also on solo, you should be able to invest in Endurance Potions at all time (as really there is nothing else to spend the gold on).

Ok, give me some tips how would you fight with monk against petrify crystal spiders or perma-CC Vithracks? Once you are petrify against spiders- you are mostly insta-gibbed.

If you could try it with your monk (endless paths)- that be great to see some footage and tips for it. There is very few materials around here about PotD Endless Paths solo that such information is worth gold :)

Ow. And tell me you starting stat distribution points please. I know you dumped INT.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 2

Cheers!

Ok, give me some tips how would you fight with monk against petrify crystal spiders or perma-CC Vithracks? Once you are petrify against spiders- you are mostly insta-gibbed.

If you could try it with your monk (endless paths)- that be great to see some footage and tips for it. There is very few materials around here about PotD Endless Paths solo that such information is worth gold :)

Ow. And tell me you starting stat distribution points please. I know you dumped INT.

I will jump on and try Endless Paths as soon as I have the ability to play. I can tell you that Vithraks are a huge pain, and dealing with them was not easy, though I don't remember having too much difficulties with Crystal Spiders.

I have put up a post of my completion, with video and complete guide / strategies, make sure too check it out :)

Edited by Alnaimi
  • Like 1

Cheers!

I will jump on and try Endless Paths as soon as I have the ability to play. I can tell you that Vithraks are a huge pain, and dealing with them was not easy, though I don't remember having too much difficulties with Crystal Spiders.

I have put up a post of my completion, with video and complete guide / strategies, make sure too check it out :)

I am on it ;).

• Like 1

For pure caster, which imo is the most powerful variant, I would say Wood Elf. You will not be 4m away all the time but it can be arranged. Though its not gonna make or break the character. Even Wild Orlan. With high Will attack on Will is free buff  ;) For solo even Aumaua for stun/prone defense and super Mig. I would not worry about it much.

---

edit: someone mentioned Pale Elf + Bulwark of Elements ~ good to go to fire and ice

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 1

Awesome guide and comments, thanks! Any variation for normal difficulty? Also, is Godlike a requirement? I despise that race.

Generally moon godlike is just best for every class. However some classes can rely less on its self here. But if you plan to solo WHOLE gam, which also mean Endless Paths 1-15 and bounties and all side quests- moonlike self heal helps a ton! it is free 100-150 Endurance per fight.

But as Wizard you will mostly rely on- AOE debuff, AOE CC and AOE nuking enemies before they can get to you. So if you know how- you should be fine with other race. However if you solo first time and you have not perfect knowledge about every encounter- moonlike is safest choice.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Great stuff thanks!

Can we get any info on rotations? Maybe split into categories such as:

1. Early game trash mobs (ie: stealth>Spectacle>slicken>cloud>Fan of Flames>Fan of Flames)

2. Early game bosses (ie: cloudkill>run off screen>fireball+skull trap> crap wrong game!) :D

3. Mid game Trash Mobs

4. Mid game Bosses

5. End game trash mobs

6. End game bosses.

Leveling guides are also kind of nice.

Thanks again!

Find your own rotation :p

Its not necessary and maybe not even optimal to actually have rotation. The way I play is that I pick spells for each encounter that is why listing spell picks is not worth much to me. I mean its good to know what spell is worth slot and whatnot but that is about it. For example, Necrotic Lance. I've seen people say its trash but it wrecks havoc when used correctly.

This is listed: Level 2 - Bewildering Spectacle, Curse of Blackened Sight, Mirrored Image, Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon, Vital Essence

out of which I would probably cast only MI and Curse on regular bases/per encounter.

So no, no rotation.

• Like 1

Find your own rotation :p

Its not necessary and maybe not even optimal to actually have rotation. The way I play is that I pick spells for each encounter that is why listing spell picks is not worth much to me. I mean its good to know what spell is worth slot and whatnot but that is about it. For example, Necrotic Lance. I've seen people say its trash but it wrecks havoc when used correctly.

This is listed: Level 2 - Bewildering Spectacle, Curse of Blackened Sight, Mirrored Image, Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon, Vital Essence

out of which I would probably cast only MI and Curse on regular bases/per encounter.

So no, no rotation.

Fair point.

I had no real intention of mimicking the build and rotation exactly. I like to use proven power gaming builds and tweak them to my own preferences.

Were I in a younger man's shoes I would be developing my own templates. My word; you should have seen me with BG2.

Unfortunately those days have come and gone. I work 6 days a week, have a needy gf, and a massive Italian-Canadian family that wants to get together every other freaken day. Thankful for all of the above, but my little free time is usually not spent crunching video game numbers. I do miss those days though.

Thanks for the help anyhow :) Great posts.

Edited by Baron_Bathory
  • Like 1