How Good is this Game? Old rpg gamers only!

"Oh, not again Volo. That one got old more than a decade ago. =)"

Whereever people trash NWN, I will be there to defend it. It's tradition. :)

Sure, I know. Just like your constant failure to use the quote function on every message board you post on. :p

That doesn't make NWN a good game though. The expansions were good but the OC was probably the worst thing Bioware ever made. It's like a 40h Mass Effect 3 ending that just doesn't stop. Even Aribeth's bouncy pixel boobs couldn't save it. :>

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

You really can not compare this game to NWN because in NWN you got the tool set to create your own worlds and stories with the added edition of being a DM in a world whether you played network or online.  I had a create world which I hosted online for a few years.  This gave players more to work with and a lot of modules to play just like expansions not to mention the custom content via CEP.  I still play and create mods for it.

I loved DA I, II and III and just recently started playing Mass Effect.  Mass effect is almost like an upgrade for Knights of the old republic games for me.  However when people talk about old games all of these to me are not old especially when compared to SSI Gold box RPGS for Dungeons and Dragons (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Savage Frontier and even Kyrnn Series.  As I said before old games can include Bards Tale I, II and Might and Magic series.  In the end old or new each game has its ups and downs, bottom line if your having fun then its the game for you.  (I can name a lot more old rpgs than that which I have and still play).

Old games are not 1998 but closer to 1985 which is when Bards Tale came out.  Talk about dating ones self!

Never played "a bards tale", but my first rpg was Might and Magic - book one, released in the mid eighties.

Seem to recall it was more like a word processor than a game. Wonder what people today who constantly complain about the graphics would think :)

But the ones that really got me interested were "Quest for Glory" and "Warcraft: Orcs and humans." I don't like MMO's or the direction where Blizzard have gone with warcraft, but I will always have a soft spot for Warcraft.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

As good as BG and the like. It's worse in some ways but much better in other ways. If your main reason for liking BG was the combat though then you might not like PoE so much, but for me I didn't like the BG combat and found PoE's more fun

The backgrounds look so good. I know graphics aren't everything, but playing it makes me wish they updated the graphics of every single classic iso RPG to this lol

Edited by Bli1942

You really can not compare this game to NWN because in NWN you got the tool set to create your own worlds and stories with the added edition of being a DM in a world whether you played network or online.  I had a create world which I hosted online for a few years.  This gave players more to work with and a lot of modules to play just like expansions not to mention the custom content via CEP.  I still play and create mods for it.

I loved DA I, II and III and just recently started playing Mass Effect.  Mass effect is almost like an upgrade for Knights of the old republic games for me.  However when people talk about old games all of these to me are not old especially when compared to SSI Gold box RPGS for Dungeons and Dragons (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Savage Frontier and even Kyrnn Series.  As I said before old games can include Bards Tale I, II and Might and Magic series.  In the end old or new each game has its ups and downs, bottom line if your having fun then its the game for you.  (I can name a lot more old rpgs than that which I have and still play).

Old games are not 1998 but closer to 1985 which is when Bards Tale came out.  Talk about dating ones self!

Old is a relative term.

I'm having a lot of fun with PoE.

My main gripes are with some mechanics, particularly in relation to combat; everything else is very much to my liking.

(for reference, the BGs are my all-time favorites alongside PST.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So, as an RPG lovers, I want to ask, how good is this game? my opinions on what "good" games are like Baldur's gate, NWN, Dungeon Siege and Dragon Age origin. Comparing this game with those four, is this game as good as them, lesser, or even better?

I asked because, from what I see in youtube, this game is a slow paced game, too much strategy (pause) like Divinity Original Sin, am I correct?

If you buy it then install the mod which removes backer content, it's some of the worst fan-fiction I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.

I have all the Might and Magic games, one was like Wizardry sparse graphics a lot of text, Might and Magic II however had for the time some real good graphics and was in color. 

"Old is a relative term"  Atheosis it is indeed, but I have been playing RPGs for the better part of 30 years and D&D even longer......

Guest FlorianGh

They improved over the IE games with smooth, outstanding animations ( remember crappy Bethesda animations?) and art style. For me the graphics it's one of the best I have seen in years. It's as detailed as Temple of Elemental Evil and man I loved that graphics ( but it was so hard). It's much better then Divinity: OS because the story it's more interesting and the fact that you get info just about every stat it's amazing ( you don't need a guide). I love the fact that they took care of the little things as gathering the party and clicking on the door would result in immediate exit ( I hate in Wasteland 2 or old IE games that you need to watch you party move until exit). It does need improvement like better stronghold and faster loading screens but I'm used to Obsidian at having some little bugs now and then but compared to 2000 we are very lucky in terms of patches. I love the day/night cycle but I want to see that NPC have schedule, that the cycle really counts like in Arcanum. It's a celebration for all PC's to have such games made again and most important : improved!

Edited by FlorianGh

I'd really like to hear how PoE is better than BG2, I"ve seen that a few times on these boards and find it hard to parse.  Other than some ui and graphics, I would put it below BG2 in pretty much every catageory.  Speaking of categeories...

Combat:    BG2 > PoE > BG1 ~=~ DA:O   (I didn't play much IWD but that would probably be near the top, but I like more than just fighting in my games)

Graphics: look at screen shots and make your own choice, but probably PoE winner here.

Companions: BG2 > DA:O > PoE = BG1

Choice and Consequence: DA:O > BG2 = PoE = BG1.  Not a whole lot of this in the old games unless you consider "Gimme more money, I'm evil!" C&C.

Exploration/Setting:  BG2 > PoE = BG1 > DA:O.  (Never played Planescape but from what I've seen, that would win this cateogory)

Story:  If you want a good fantasy story, read a book.  Honestly folks, go into a bookstore and pick one based on a cover that catches your eye and you're virtualy guarenteed a better story than ANY game.

I'd really like to hear how PoE is better than BG2, I"ve seen that a few times on these boards and find it hard to parse.  Other than some ui and graphics, I would put it below BG2 in pretty much every catageory.  Speaking of categeories...

Combat:    BG2 > PoE > BG1 ~=~ DA:O   (I didn't play much IWD but that would probably be near the top, but I like more than just fighting in my games)

Graphics: look at screen shots and make your own choice, but probably PoE winner here.

Choice and Consequence: DA:O > BG2 = PoE = BG1.  Not a whole lot of this in the old games unless you consider "Gimme more money, I'm evil!" C&C.

Exploration/Setting:  BG2 > PoE = BG1 > DA:O.  (Never played Planescape but from what I've seen, that would win this cateogory)

Story:  If you want a good fantasy story, read a book.  Honestly folks, go into a bookstore and pick one based on a cover that catches your eye and you're virtualy guarenteed a better story than ANY game.

I was going to reply to the question in your post, but the fact that you think any of the of BG1 companions comes close to someone like Eder or Durance makes your post Null And Void.

Edited by bonarbill
  • Like 1

.. or play Planescape:Torment. It's more of adventure game anyway and is set in one of the most amazing worlds ever designed - Planescape. 

," get the Enhanced Editions. "

NO.

Have you looked at it since the huge 1.3 patch that came out several months ago?  Vastly improved pathfinding.  Also (not sure if this was from the patch) it has an aoe-loot system so you can grab stuff easily off the ground which is another really nice change.  And a ridiculous ream of bugfixes which probably shouldn't have been there anyway but whatever, as it currently stands, I would totally recommend BG2EE.

(Also many mods have been updated to work with it, unfortunately not Ascension, but most of the other good ones)

I was going to reply to the question in your post, but the fact that you think any of the of BG1 companions comes close to someone like Eder or Durance makes your post Null And Void.

Every companion sans maybe Wynn and some of the "comic relief" ones in DA:O were Ashley and Kaiden to me: Either boring, or boring and slightly grating. Really like the ones in PoE though. 

Edited by Lmaoboat

I can't remember their names but the emo witch and the blond knight guy were pretty fun to keep around together.  And the golem guy wasn't bad (although it kinda of reminded me of a poor man's HK-47).

Morrigan, Alistair and the 'guy' was named Shale.  Though Shale is actually a girl.  True story.

For me, PoE is very, very good.  Asking if it is 'better' than DA:O, which is a very different kind of game is a difficult question to answer...so I won't.  But I love both.

It's better than all those you mentioned except DA:Origins. 

Those you mentioned exactly, as in BG not BG2, NWN not NWN2 etc. 

It's a good game and there's nothing like it out there that is not old, so if you like these games it's worth it.

It will take a while for another such game to be released.