How Good is this Game? Old rpg gamers only!

"Everyone has their opinions, but this one cracks me up..." 

Truth hurts you? Truth hurts you.

What truth?  DA:O was bad...

yes, bad for you perhaps... It's always good to try and keep some perspective. Other people do like things you don't...

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

"Everyone has their opinions, but this one cracks me up..." 

Truth hurts you? Truth hurts you.

What truth?  DA:O was bad...

yes, bad for you perhaps... It's always good to try and keep some perspective. Other people do like things you don't...

Oh I'm aware but that's kind of what we are doing here right?  Discussing opinions on games?  And from my perspective the "truth" is that DA:O was an awful game.  Obviously I find the notion that it was better than PoE amusing...

It's not anywhere near the old ones. It's sort of dumbed down for "today's generation" or whatever, where broad appeal is more important than uniqueness or true memorability. I wouldn't even say it's dumbed down, it's just that the designer was not smart or elegant enough to touch on what made the old ones great, and had some really silly ideas of what makes a good rpg (for example in one interview he writes about how the player should be able to wear whatever he thinks looks cool and it'll still be good, because we don't want to hamper his sense of fashion), totally breaking the underlying system.

It's not his fault, it's impossible to suddenly turn into a Chris Avellone, but whatever. In the end, it's just not nearly as good.

All in all, you could compare it to maybe Divinity: Original Sin, because both have a so-so story, but where P:OE REALLY fails is the mechanics. The stat system, the combat system, everything that is about playing a fun game, is probably the poorest implementation I've seen in a serious RPG, whereas D:OS outshines most other RPGs in that area, making it a really good game

And you won't regret it. It is indeed a wonderful game with a great story, tonnes of stuff to do and explore and deal with. The atmosphere alone is fantastic, IMHO. I have a hard time comparing it to the CRPG classics, but I'd merrily go as far as to say that it certainly is at par with BG1 and NWN2 OC, for instance. Also, don't forget that it's only been out for a month now, so the room for fine-tuning and patching is very generous, and when those expansions and perhaps even PoE2 will land in the foreseeable future, I bet this will be a true classic, standing the test of time and all. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It's a nice game if you don't look to closely at any of it's components. There is however probably not a part of the game that doesn't need some serious work done. One only can hope that Obsidian will try and improve on it, rather then releasing the same thing again with possible expansions and sequels.

For me it ranks better than the BGs and the IWDs by a fair amount, though I prefer PS:T overall.

PoE is definitely not without its faults (neither is Fallout, my all-time favorite game, or PS:T for that matter), not at all. But I can safely count it among one of my all-time favorite RPGs

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

So, the majority of IWD/BG veterans hate POE? Serious question, can we get some statistics on this that don't point to this group being a "handful of people"?

For what it's worth, general notion from three RPG dedicated boards I poke in on somewhat regular basis is that BG fetishists hate PoE; BG veterans find it to be kinda okay but requiring loads of additional work to shine; people having vague idea of BG either like it very much or hate it just as much.

I don't claim that it's statisitically representative, but notion stands.

Edit: typos

Your first mistake was relying on message boards to get any sense of what people in general think. 

If you want to play the BG games again today, get the Enhanced Editions. You can even get them on your tablet. I have. The thing is, it made me realize that there was some stuff about them that could use improvement. Choosing spells and abilities based on fuzzy, hard-to-see icons? Was the magic missile the red squiggle or the blue squiggle? Ugh. Even worse when your tablet makes tooltip-popup a bit more sketchy. 

The bottom line is what I like about PoE is not that it tries to recreate 2001 in 2015, but instead takes what is good about those games and still tries to improve things with what else we can now do today. The characters aren't just silly rag dolls anymore. They have really reworked the XP gain system. The isometric graphics look way better. etc.

A lot of people when I raise what's good about classic RPGs accuse me of wanting to live in the past. No. I want what was done right in the past to stick around, and to keep innovating in other areas. I think PoE does this. That's why I like it. 

• Like 3

Well of course it's not a big deal if you just want to see the story. Just play on Normal mode, letting everyone autoattack to win most battles, not caring if you've lost half your inventory or all of your abilities because you still win. But for people who want a challenge and play on the hardest difficulty, those bugs definitely break the game.

Well, I did finish on TotD + Expert Mode. So your argument is kinda invalid...

At 66 I'm probably the oldest gamer in the thread :grin: -

I love it so far and think it stands up well to the old IE games as well as NWN 1 & 2.  :thumbsup:

:o

I am impressed, sir. Glad you're still enjoying pc gaming! 

It's a little tough getting these new fangled games to play on the Commodore 64 and of course none of the newer games can hold a candle to Zork, Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy or the Leather Goddess of Phobos but these kids at Obsidian are out there trying at least!  o:)

• Like 3

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Jeez Wanderon, I seem to remember you on the old NW2 forums, (think it was bioware forums). You would always get involved in arguments with countless. As a certain gnome would say, "good fun".

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

So, as an RPG lovers, I want to ask, how good is this game? my opinions on what "good" games are like Baldur's gate, NWN, Dungeon Siege and Dragon Age origin. Comparing this game with those four, is this game as good as them, lesser, or even better?

I asked because, from what I see in youtube, this game is a slow paced game, too much strategy (pause) like Divinity Original Sin, am I correct?

BG, NWN, and DA:O are new games, not old ones!  The oldest is what, 1998? :biggrin:

Anyway, NWN is a really mixed bag to compare, because of add-on modules, some of which were really great.  If you ignore that angle and just consider the original game itself, my preference order from best to worst would be:

BG2 > POE > NWN 

POE and BG2 are spot on each other respecting the times they were made. From a fantasy perspective BG2 world feels more "magical" in my opinion, but all in all POE is definitely worth the money.

Jeez Wanderon, I seem to remember you on the old NW2 forums, (think it was bioware forums). You would always get involved in arguments with countless. As a certain gnome would say, "good fun".

Aye, I remember him from the old NWN boards. I used to moderate them, actually. Good times. Oh, and kudos, Wanderon. I actually thought I was older than you, but you've got a decade and a half on me. :)

• Like 2

First my RPG street cred: I played Bard's Tale, Ultima and an obscure title called Questron on a Commodore 128 as a teenager back in 1988. Various RPGs on the Nintendo before that.

Pillars is a great RPG. I am 122 hours in and have still not exhausted all content. I am 2 quests from finishing the game and currently getting my butt kicked by the "Master" on level 15. I have all intentions of replaying the game with a different character and party makeup.

9/10

It's a nice game if you don't look to closely at any of it's components. There is however probably not a part of the game that doesn't need some serious work done. One only can hope that Obsidian will try and improve on it, rather then releasing the same thing again with possible expansions and sequels.

In other words it's pretty good if you don't nit-pick it? 

There's just too many moving parts in these RPGs to have everything worked out. There's inevitably going to be some logic conflict somewhere, just depends on how game-breaking it is. I haven't noticed too many things yet, most of the conflicts seem to correlate with the stronghold (perhaps it was rushed?).

decent game but with many flaws.

too many obvious bugs making it to gold, unclear and poor game mechanics that doesnt make much sense. its just not very fun the way its designed. its very bland and dumbed down.

they need to stop writing so many in game books and actually have proper documentation available in game or online.

If you are a dying of thirst in the desert, you won't complain too much about the taste of the water that is offered to you. Pointing out that it tastes like something died in it recently isn't nit-picking.

Aye, I remember him from the old NWN boards. I used to moderate them, actually. Good times. Oh, and kudos, Wanderon. I actually thought I was older than you, but you've got a decade and a half on me. :)

NWN boards were pretty recent - first official CRPG boards that hooked me were the original BG boards (prior to ToTSC) followed by the rest of the IE boards arguing with Silverbow (and others)...

Good fun indeed :thumbsup:   :w00t:

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

When you say old rpg gamers only do mean that I have to be old, or the rpg's I like have to be old.

Cuz I'm not old. I'm 24.

I like old school rpgs though.

Can I contribute?

Young man how dare you interrupt??

Now back to your room and play some more NWN/BG

I'll go to my room, but I'll never play NWN again. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

NWN = BEST. GAME. EVAR.

Oh, not again Volo. That one got old more than a decade ago. =)

NWN boards were pretty recent - first official CRPG boards that hooked me were the original BG boards (prior to ToTSC) followed by the rest of the IE boards arguing with Silverbow (and others)...

Good fun indeed :thumbsup:   :w00t:

Feels like an Eternity ago, doesn't it? That pun is so bad I can't possibly claim that it wasn't intentional.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.