How Good is this Game? Old rpg gamers only!

Potentially not bad game, but flawed from the beginning (and ultimately doomed to fail) by Obsidian's decision to use their own RPG system instead of some tried and tested ones. Add to that mediocre execution, terrible dialogs, uninspired quests, static world, no consequences for your actions, weak itemization, terrible combat and well, you are better replaying some old masterpiece like BG2 or P:T instead of wasting time on Pillars. 

Sometimes I wonder if I'm even playing the same game as some of the posters on here.

Just out of curiosity: what are examples of good writing in your opinion? Not just game-exclusive

DAO>Maskofthebetrayerr>POE>WITCHER2>BG2>

I don't know you, but if I did you'd be dead to me.

You should be ashamed.

And just to make sure we're clear here: Not "dead" in the PST-just-get-off-your-slab-say-hi-to-Morte-then-we-start-again-type-dead but the BG-God-of-Murder-sucks-your-soul-to-the-Abyss-never-to-be-seen-again-variety. :)

At 66 I'm probably the oldest gamer in the thread :grin: -

I love it so far and think it stands up well to the old IE games as well as NWN 1 & 2.  :thumbsup:

Sorry to burst your bubble but I am older than you are.  As a woman I reserve the right to not mention how old I am but I am old. :D  Glad to see you as I love having company even from a young whipper snapper like you.   

• Like 5

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Story: Subpar. Unconvincing villain and forced view on story development certainly didn't convince me. I honestly don't see it any better than horrible mess that was ME3.

Setting: Good. Animancy a bad cliche of forced liberal view on controversial progress, the rest very good. Guns, period armour and weapons, Gods squabble, factions, nations and overall mood fit together nicely.

Quests: Sufficient. Wasteland 2 beats it with both hands tied behind the back. It lacks reactivity and overall satisfaction in effecting the world just by walking through it. Still it also offers some really nice quests. They don't repeat, and often offer different resolutions.

Content: Sufficient. At time it almost feel like there is too much stuff thrown at you, then at other times you wish for more.

Mechanics: Great. Some discrepancies in unusable and overpowered abilities and classes, but overall an actual improvement over nearly all similar real time rpg systems. Definitely ahead of DAO, NWN1+2, KOTOR, and both Witchers, at the same time evenly competing with complexity of infinity engine, surpassing it in plain mechanical aspect, while loosing in scale and diversity of battles.

Graphics: Awesome. Maybe I'd prefer a smaller overall scale for maps to feel bigger, but that's a design choice, graphics by them self are amazing. Even completely unused areas feel unique and well designed.

I don't think the game leads the field in any specific area, and I'm certain I'll remember Wasteland 2 much better just because it allowed me to do some amazing stuff. But if I'm completely impartial, I can only judge Pillars as one of the best RPGs to come out in last decade.

Edited by dododad
  • Like 2

So, as an RPG lovers, I want to ask, how good is this game? my opinions on what "good" games are like Baldur's gate, NWN, Dungeon Siege and Dragon Age origin. Comparing this game with those four, is this game as good as them, lesser, or even better?

I asked because, from what I see in youtube, this game is a slow paced game, too much strategy (pause) like Divinity Original Sin, am I correct?

If those are considered old games, I'm even older. I've been playing party based CRPGs since I was a kid in the 80's: Bard's Tale, Ultima IV, gold box DnD games, etc.  Since I stopped playing party based CRPGs in the early 2000's because they started dying off (Temple of Elemental Evil/Pool of Radiance 2 were the last hurrah) in favor of First Person/MMORPG or Diablo clones, Pillars of Eternity (and Wasteland 2) has revitalized me. PoE is very much like playing Baldur's Gate 1 but with a lot of evolution. All I know is I've spent a few nights playing until 2am when I really shouldn't have. I don't know if the game is slow-paced, it isn't slower or faster than any of the Infinity Engine games.

Edited by darqleo

Simply cannot compare to BG 2 from a replayability aspect.

This ^^^

Eh. I couldn't replay BG2 until about three months after I beat the first time. Time will tell how PoE compares to the replay value of BG2 to me in about two months.

Though it's not really a fair contest as PoE's expansion hasn't come out yet. We don't know how much better the expansion will make PoE.

I never even finished BG2. I loved BG1, and expected to love BG2 but it just didn't quite do it for me, back then. Maybe I was just tired of that style of rpg at the time (I love 'em but it's not a genre I play almost exclusively, if that makes sense).

Pillars is a fun RPG with a few large flaws. But overall I liked it and had a good time and will replay it a bit.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, as an RPG lovers, I want to ask, how good is this game? my opinions on what "good" games are like Baldur's gate, NWN, Dungeon Siege and Dragon Age origin. Comparing this game with those four, is this game as good as them, lesser, or even better?

I asked because, from what I see in youtube, this game is a slow paced game, too much strategy (pause) like Divinity Original Sin, am I correct?

It's nowhere near the level of Baldur's Gate 2 or I would say even Icewind Dale.

It's a very dumbed down easy-for-everyone to play RPG. In BG2, you had to know how spells worked to adequately fight Beholders or Liches or Mindflayers. Here, there's no such thing as an enemy that's completely resistant to a certain attack, you can hit something with high Damage Reduction to fire with a fire spell and still do damage. It's all a bit too easy and combat becomes very redundant and repetitive. Many of the spells that the different classes get are totally OP and easy to roll over mobs with.

I suppose if what you want in an RPG is going around reading a lot of books off of shelves then this game would be the tops in that department. But I want tactical combat challenges, and this game does not provide that.

• Like 1

It's a decent game.

Nothing really different from other modern RPGs. Different view, less money to do fancy stuff and VO, less overall gayness and beeeewbs, same unconvincing story, few wannabe shock moments, dumbed down gameplay for all to enjoy. 

One big mix of NWN2, IWD2, ToEE and Lionhearth LotC in a different world.

Unfortunately, I was hoping for an upgraded bastard child of BG and PST with an original twist.  Didn't get it. 

• Like 1

Of course its a great game. Sadly the encounter design sucks.

Writing, Art, Lore, Story (and the connection between both) , characters, c&c and reactivity are top notch.

Its maybe not the best game for combat oriented players, because the weakest part is combat. (But its still ok imo)

And dont listen to the nostalgic ****tards with an IE fetish, they will never love a game anymore (besides the usual "classics")

Funny : As BG was released 1998 the Gold box lovers hated BG the same way like the IWD/BG-tards talk about PoE now.

Edited by Ramireza
  • Like 4

:w00t: I can't resist.

The best cRPG game ever was Betray at Krondor.  There will never be another game as good, as much fun, as awesome and wonderful.  Why?  Because it was my first cRPG game.  Thus began my love afair with role playing games.  The game was good and set the standards for its time.  There is always a nostalga for your first experience if it was a good one.  Nothing can ever rival it.

I have already given my opinion of PoE.  It is a great game and let no one tell you different. 

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

"Funny : As BG was released 1998 the Gold box lovers hated BG the same way like the IWD/BG-tards talk about PoE now."

\

No.  You are taking a ahdnful of people and making it sound like theyw ere the majority. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Funny : As BG was released 1998 the Gold box lovers hated BG the same way like the IWD/BG-tards talk about PoE now."

\

No.  You are taking a ahdnful of people and making it sound like theyw ere the majority. LMAO

So, the majority of IWD/BG veterans hate POE? Serious question, can we get some statistics on this that don't point to this group being a "handful of people"?

So, the majority of IWD/BG veterans hate POE? Serious question, can we get some statistics on this that don't point to this group being a "handful of people"?

For what it's worth, general notion from three RPG dedicated boards I poke in on somewhat regular basis is that BG fetishists hate PoE; BG veterans find it to be kinda okay but requiring loads of additional work to shine; people having vague idea of BG either like it very much or hate it just as much.

I don't claim that it's statisitically representative, but notion stands.

Edit: typos

Edited by Yellow Rabbit
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, general notion from three RPG dedicated boards I poke in on somewhat regular basis is that BG fetishists hate PoE; BG veterans find it to be kinda okay but requiring loads of additional work to shine; people having vague idea of BG either like it very much or hate it just as much.

Seems reasonable. I guess that would apply to me, at least (BG 'veteran' that finds PoE okay etc.)

Hard to say whether the OP would love it or not.  Oddly, I find I'm in no way compelled to play through PoE again, although I may try out a combination of classes that I didn't play through the first time (doubt I'll finish though). Interestingly, I played through Wasteland 2 several times and Divinity:OS three times. Go figure.

Old style D&D games for computers started with pool of radiance back around 1989/1990 but not the first rpg.  My first Rpg was Bards Tale 2 and Might & Magic 2 followed by SSI Gold Box D&D Games. 

Compared to this style which is based off BG and IWD I & II its a great game.  The only real complaints I have is no stat point every 4 levels which with 12 levels that would only be 3 points.  I think we should have had 5 more points in the pool for stats but I am an old time gamer that likes dice rolling vs a set amount.  I would like to have seen a setting to turn off hats from showing up and still getting the advantages, and a way to turn off friendly fire which is in most RPGs these days.  

Over all the graphics are better, and there are tons of quests and more styles of play with Pillars.  I love having the party of 6 again and love the ability to create those we hire to what ever we want.  It brings the IWD party back in a sense so I can create my party my way or mix and match with the NPCs we find along the way.  I have a mixed view on being able to use all weapons and armor regardless of class but that comes with playing D&D for 30+ years.  I still find my wizards using staffs, rods or wands and using Robes or clothing (which I have been upgrading) ;p

Bottom line I find myself looking forward to Pillars 2, 3 and so on... I just hope we can move characters up and we get more levels.  Only 12 levels seems like a downgrade in this time and age with most rpgs grant at least 20 levels for the first game.

Yeah, that seems fair enough.

Edited by View619

"So, the majority of IWD/BG veterans hate POE? Serious question, can we get some statistics on this that don't point to this group being a "handful of people"?"

Did I claim that? I'm a BG veteran and I enjoy PE. My comment was directed at the silly guy who claimed that those who liked GB disliked BG. I know that's silly because I liked the GB games and liked the IE.

"Everyone has their opinions, but this one cracks me up..."

Truth hurts you? Truth hurts you.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.