Why must you oppose Raedric VII?

Thanks a lot Elerond for filling us in on all the possible endings. But I must say that two of them are.. odd, because I see no reason why they'd be mutually exclusive. Or rather, they are mutually exclusive, but they shouldn't be. I mean.. uhm..

If you do nothing, Raedric turns out to have snapped when his wife birthed a hollowborn child, and continues to be crazy, and everyone loses.

If you kill Kolsc, things.. actually turn out pretty fine and dandy. But.. why? It's not explained in slides, apparently..? Why would that not be the result if you did nothing, too? Or vice versa?

Also, where is Kolsc in everything for ending #2? Slide #2 (from the ones you describe) makes it sound like you killed both Kolsc and Raedric.

Raedric kills Kolsc when he returns as a deathguard (if you didn't kill him yourself) and there is no way to prevent that from happening as far as I know and as there is no end slide for scenario where Kolsc is live if you have killed Raedric, I would say that it support my conclusion that Kolsc is doomed. Only option where he maybe life is one where you don't take part in the conflict and he is probably one that actually drives Raedric in full insanity. Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot Elerond for filling us in on all the possible endings. But I must say that two of them are.. odd, because I see no reason why they'd be mutually exclusive. Or rather, they are mutually exclusive, but they shouldn't be. I mean.. uhm..

If you do nothing, Raedric turns out to have snapped when his wife birthed a hollowborn child, and continues to be crazy, and everyone loses.

If you kill Kolsc, things.. actually turn out pretty fine and dandy. But.. why? It's not explained in slides, apparently..? Why would that not be the result if you did nothing, too? Or vice versa?

Also, where is Kolsc in everything for ending #2? Slide #2 (from the ones you describe) makes it sound like you killed both Kolsc and Raedric.

@Luckman, you have pretty much presuaded me that the best thing to do is ignore the quest, do nothing.  I am beginning to think the people of Gilded Vale deserve what ever happens to them.  The last time I did that quest I took a good look at the soldiers that Kolsc had.  He has a pretty big army but he waits for my character to defeat Raedric then prances in as if he was the conqueror nobly allows me to loot the castle.

My next character may be a Death Head Godlike who just kills everyone.   More fun and loot for all.   :devil:

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Because Raedric is not just paranoid about Eothasians and Hollowborn, he's also paranoid about Kolsc. And unlike the other two, Kolsc is actively trying to kill him, sending assassins and whatnot, so his paranoia is justified.

When he is sure that Kolsc is dead and his position is secure, he relaxes a bit and no longer executes people at the slightest provocation.

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

Because Raedric is not just paranoid about Eothasians and Hollowborn, he's also paranoid about Kolsc. And unlike the other two, Kolsc is actively trying to kill him, sending assassins and whatnot, so his paranoia is justified.

When he is sure that Kolsc is dead and his position is secure, he relaxes a bit and no longer executes people at the slightest provocation.

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

The thought did occur to me, but then I think that should be reflected in the slides. Even if you just kill Raedric and Kolsc takes charge, Kolsc isn't even mentioned, and if you don't kill either, Kolsc is also not mentioned as exacerbating Raedric's paranoid condition. It could be entirely true what you say, but then there should be some emphasis on that to make it clear.

t50aJUd.jpg

Even if you just kill Raedric and Kolsc takes charge, Kolsc isn't even mentioned, and if you don't kill either, Kolsc is also not mentioned as exacerbating Raedric's paranoid condition. It could be entirely true what you say, but then there should be some emphasis on that to make it clear.

Well, Kolsc bites the dust in any case sooner or later. Not that the consequences could have been handled better in any case, but Kolsc is the one, who goes, regardless of your decision. With Raedric's return he's history.

Raedric will always have someone defying him or at least assume someone is.  His paranoia is justified.  It is his  callous destruction of innocents I can't stomach.

nakia_banner.jpg

Wouldn't the Duc eventually send someone to replace the Raedric's? Wouldn't a small, mostly self sufficient village be fine without a leader? I mean there were lordless villages in the medieval times that didn't become a hollywood wild west town. Was there originally supposed to be a quest for solving the crop blight?

It's good to criticize things you love.

Wouldn't the Duc eventually send someone to replace the Raedric's? Wouldn't a small, mostly self sufficient village be fine without a leader? I mean there were lordless villages in the medieval times that didn't become a hollywood wild west town. Was there originally supposed to be a quest for solving the crop blight?

The fact is that small communities have a tendency to take care of themselves reasonably well without someone lording over them. So I don't disagree with you. But just to be clear, Raedric is the lord of Yenwood and the entire region goes lawless, not just Gilded Vale itself. I'm not saying that somehow invalidates what you said, just that.. it should be said.

I could see how it would go to s**t when people flee Defiance Bay, though, and come to Yenwood. Might turn into a bit of a wild west (which actually wasn't that wild).

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Dyrford Village does not seem to have an over lord and from what the inn keeper says I don't think they want one.  I get the feeling that for some reason Gilded Vale needs a strong leader maybe because it is close to the Northern border.   Maybe the people having had a strong overloard for so many generations just can't adapt to ruling and protecting themselves.  Maybe having so many people hanged as demorilized the.

Lots of maybes.

I agree why doesn't the duc, oh oh wait, the duc is dead so another maybe.  Maybe the new duc is so busy with other things he forgets or overlooks Gileed Vale.

nakia_banner.jpg

Considering that the Duc is dead, Defiance Bay is on fire and Raedric is dead in a lot of storylines, it's a wonder some foreign power isn't right by Dyrwood's doorstep to curbstomp them into the ground.

• Like 5

t50aJUd.jpg

The fact is that small communities have a tendency to take care of themselves reasonably well without someone lording over them. So I don't disagree with you. But just to be clear, Raedric is the lord of Yenwood and the entire region goes lawless, not just Gilded Vale itself. I'm not saying that somehow invalidates what you said, just that.. it should be said.

I could see how it would go to s**t when people flee Defiance Bay, though, and come to Yenwood. Might turn into a bit of a wild west (which actually wasn't that wild).

Yeah that is true. 

It's good to criticize things you love.

Yeah, I had a similar reaction when I first came across this conversation, though for slightly different reasons. I was playing a Rogue with no particular stake in this conflict either way and had Kolsc pretty much pegged as a manipulative little git from the start, so I came in hoping to confront Raedric about the mass hangings and strike some sort of deal with him for my own safety, but unfortunately your choices are a very stark divide between 'yay Kolsc, boo Raedric' and 'I don't like you Raedric, but I guess I'll do this anyway' when what I was hoping for was a 'Raedric, buddy, I'd love to help you out with your little problem here but you've got to meet me half way.'. I should add that I had already completed the Through Death's Door quest and had probable cause to believe Waidwen's legacy was not the way he claimed it to be, so it was pretty disappointing to find out that I had no option whatsoever to try and talk him into changing his approach. I mean fair enough if he's so set in his ways that he wouldn't listen (and I'd end up having to fight him anyway for my troubles) but I'd have appreciated being able to make the attempt. The same goes for an option to call Kolsc out after the scuffle and possibly turn on him as well. Sure, it'd be a pretty extreme anarchist position to take and not exactly considerate of Gilded Vale's needs, but considering that both of these two had pretty much made it clear that they'd make terrible rulers and that both had caused me trouble, I would have been sorely tempted to take that route if it was open to me.

• Like 1

Considering that the Duc is dead, Defiance Bay is on fire and Raedric is dead in a lot of storylines, it's a wonder some foreign power isn't right by Dyrwood's doorstep to curbstomp them into the ground.

This is an interesting thought.  We know the Vailians were more than willing to curbstomp their trade by taking advantage of the situation to go around them with the Glanfathans, I could see others taking advantage militarily, not necessarily by conquering the whole Dyrwood (since that would unify them and you still got to look at how the other nations would see an invasion like that), but taking contested land, 'to bring order' to the Gilded Vale etc. 

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

This is an interesting thought.  We know the Vailians were more than willing to curbstomp their trade by taking advantage of the situation to go around them with the Glanfathans, I could see others taking advantage militarily, not necessarily by conquering the whole Dyrwood (since that would unify them and you still got to look at how the other nations would see an invasion like that), but taking contested land, 'to bring order' to the Gilded Vale etc. 

"We're going to liberate you. And that lumber of yours."

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

The Dyrewood does have an army, most of it at Fleetbraker Castle. Everything can hit the fan in Defiance Bay and Lord Raedric's castle but as long as the Grand Marshall of the Knights Crucible is around to impose martial law then there is a valid reason why a neighbor does not invade. Certainly there should have been some pushback from the Glanfalans, but why would they want land that is troubled by the Legacy? 

As for why to oppose Lord Raedric, it is a very good paying job to kill a man who is clearly nuts. What more reason does a mercenary need? As for why we don't side with the man for his offer of coin, I just want to remind everyone that this is a man who hangs his people and killed his wife. How safe would you feel working for him?

Edited by Venatio

As for why to oppose Lord Raedric, it is a very good paying job to kill a man who is clearly nuts. What more reason does a mercenary need? As for why we don't side with the man for his offer of coin, I just want to remind everyone that this is a man who hangs his people and killed his wife. How safe would you feel working for him?

Raedric's a deeply dogmatic, paranoid man and definitely not a good person, but even in that he's still very much a man of his word, enough so that he refuses to even consider an exception for his own wife. Given his tendencies I certainly wouldn't want to be in his permanent employ or be one of his subjects, but unlike with Kolsc's case which is based on deception from the start, I have no reason to expect that Raedric would reneg on a deal he's agreed to. If I were playing a conscienceless killer who isn't compelled to action by the suffering of innocents, I could see how his offer would be tempting. If I were playing an aristocratically minded character who takes the divine right of kings before all, I might even see it as an ideological must to defend his rightful rule.

If anything, Kolsc is the dubious bet from a purely mercenary standpoint since his ability to hold the throne is questionable at best, you have no guarantees of him having the kind of money to pay for assassinating a landed noble (or the incentive to do so once the obstacle between him and a position of leadership is gone), and especially since he tries to talk you into doing his dirty work by appealing to your conscience rather than your personal interest. Raedric's backing also has political value for you, since mad or not, he's still the rightful ruler of the land and his favor can give you leverage in negotiating your way through Defiance Bay.

There's also the possibility of wanting to reason with him rather than simply depose him, which would be the case for a more idealistically minded good character. In particular, if I were playing a Priest of Eothas, I'd consider it the path dictated by my faith that I confront him about the purges and try to either redeem him or convince him to abdicate for the good of his realm (Benevolent and Honest). But then, I already banged on for quite a bit about that missing  chunk of the spectrum, so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Aea
  • Like 1

I am considering playing a character who has no conscience, not care for others in my next play through.  In which case I would take Raedric up on his offer.  His soldiers, mercenaries themselves, are loyal to him.  Yes he has hung a lot of people, some because of a misguided religious belief and some because he believed them charlatans and from what the dward woman says they probably where even including her.  His paranoid of Kolsc and other possible dissidents is valid.  He can use all the military help he can get so it would benefit him to have me on his side and maybe on call if needed.

Kolsc offers you nothing and is not honest with you. Based on the number of soldiers in the castle after Kolsc takes over he has managed to gather quite a few people but he conveniently turns up after you have defeated Lord Raedric.  

In this scenario Raedric wins with no problem.

nakia_banner.jpg

i played in expert mode so i did not have all the [ ] to tell me what i was choosing... i picked my answers based on what i would say if i was there in any given situation. i have to post a screenshot of my reputations... 

as for that lord, i simply followed the least confrontational aproach until i got some answers

in the end i let him rule instead of his cousin, because he cared for his people despite the twisted way he tried to save them with nad the ending proved my decision was a good one. besides, siding with the legitimate ruler of the province looks better on your resume when dealing with politicians.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 3 weeks later...

For me the quest "Lord of a Barren Land" is the hardest to decide what to do.  Raedric is the lawful ruler of the area and he takes his duties as Thayne very seriously.  He does want what is best for the area.  He is convinced that what he is doing is right.  Kolsc tries to persuade you that Raedric is evil but he isn't completely open with you.  The more I play the more I question siding with either one.

You don't have to side with Osya.  

You can climb the vines on the clock tower upper left hand side of map, disguise yourself as a Berath Priest. find the Archmage mentioned by Kolsc do a little quest for him and get a key that will open the way to where Raedric is.  You can also do a lot of fighting which has the advantage of giving you a ot of loot.

nakia_banner.jpg

Climbed the vines--I had fought my way up there already--killed all the priests because they had enemy circles but could not open many doors because not enough Mechanics. After killed Osya there was a rusty key but I seem to have lost it. Alternatively, while cooperating with Osya, she told me to kill a priest (Nedham?); since all were dead (?) I went back to her but there was no conversation choice other than Goodbye.

So, I'm stuck. Can't advance on the world map either. Kolsc? Eothan? Beasts? Never met any of them.

The priest Nedham is behind a locked door so that may be your problem  I never have sided with Osyra so I have no idea if there is a bug.

Can you fight your way down to the Throne Room?  I understand it is a very tough fight to get there that way but others have done it.

nakia_banner.jpg

I've cleaned out most of the dungeon floor, but  I see another area which I can't enter because not enough Mechanics. How would I recognize the throne room?

Someone above has a graph of his difficulty; he did not reach the castle tll level 6. I'm stuck on three. I kill dozens of priests and it does not grant me one xp. Frustrating.

philares3, I do not understand why you are stuck at lvl 3.   I usually do the Raedric quest at  party level 4, sometimes higher and I have even skipped it altogether.  In order to get the quest you had to do at least some of the Gilded Vale sub-quests.  Did you sleep at the inn, have the vision of the dwarf woman hanging on the tree, then go talk to her?   That should open up the "Old Watcher" quest for yo.  Then you can pick up Eder as a companion if you wish.

Could you give us more information on what you have done?  You could even start thread asking for help.  Most gamers love to help other gamers.  :)  Makes us feel good.

nakia_banner.jpg