Installation from Disk

dturtle1

Question

The Installation from disk doesn't install the whole game, requiring a further 3 Gb download once it painfully installs some from disk.

I understand there have been patches since the release of the game, but half the game seems excessive and i believe that something with the installer is forcing me to download extra data.

Due to where i live i can only get wireless internet, and 3gb is roughly $40, or almost what i paid for the game. Needless to say i am not very happy :(

Can you please look at this? 3gb patch on 6.5gb game would piss me off even if i had cheap internet  

4 answers to this question

Steam patches are always pretty big.  Nothing Obsidian can do about that, I gather.

Half the game ???, Some are big, others are small but never half the size of the installed game.  I bought  a few games retail that install through steam and this is the first game that had to download half the game to install. If Obsidian literally patched 3 gb of data since release then i can understand there is not much they can do about it, i find this hard to believe though

The main game when uncompressed/installed is actually more like 13GB. Download size is not installed-size.

The patches may not be as compressed as the initial game download, although that's just conjecture on my part. How big they are depends a lot on how the game is coded re: what is being patched, specifically, and how the info of the patches are applied/integrated (it's not always the same process for all games) as well as any Steam quirks.

Example: in order to patch something, you may have to download a new version/s of an entire file/s, vs. a tiny add-on of some sort, if that makes sense. Just depends.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Due to where i live i can only get wireless internet, and 3gb is roughly $40, or almost what i paid for the game. Needless to say i am not very happy :(

Unforuntately, the physical release only contains a copy of the Steam version - Paradox/Obsidian aren't the only ones to pull this stunt, so I'm afraid you need to be careful to check the specifics when buying games in future (the back of the box should mention the need for a Steam account).

If you have limited Internet access, then realistically your best option is to purchase from GOG - you'll still have to download the game but you can do so using another system or Internet connection (e.g. use a public library to copy the installer onto a USB stick) which you can't do with Steam.

As for patches, this is a new game and all new games tend to require large patches. Your best option may be to wait for a few months (the next patch, 1.05 is due in May) and then (re)purchase the GOG version since Steam is inevitably going to require more bandwidth.