just a comment on the rpg codex review.

I am a member of the codex and I like Real-time with pause, action combat AND turn-based.

If you can do good combat of any type - that's cool with me

[and no, Pillars of Eternity is not good real-time with pause]

I am a member of the codex and I like Real-time with pause, action combat AND turn-based.

If you can do good combat of any type - that's cool with me

[and no, Pillars of Eternity is not good real-time with pause]

True, its not good, its awesome.

That said, I like turn-based combat much more than RTwP.

And D:OS was friggin amazing, especially in co-op

As I said in the other, appropriate thread for this discussion...

The Codex review wasn't entirely spot-on. A lot of what it had to say about gameplay was. Pretty much every complaint about the writing wasn't. But this is what happens when you get an otherwise sane reviewer and have them spend 40 hours slogging through unfun gameplay. They're in the middle of yet another copypasta fight and think to themselves "that writing had better be spectacular." They overhype themselves in a grim way. The result is that they're underwhelmed when good things do happen.

PoE has good story, good music, good art. Its gameplay, however, is simply attrocious. It's actually a pain in the behind to actually *play* this game. So it should surprise no one that the joy of the story, art and music are soured for anyone who actually trudges through the whole thing... unless they are very, very forgiving.

What this game needs is to keep its visual, audio, and writing assets as they are, but make broad, deep, and sweeping changes to its mechanics, and perhaps more importantly to its encounter design.

Edited by scrotiemcb
  • Like 1

I love that the RPGCodex is probably the most successful anarchist project I've seen online, yet it weathers near-constant accusations of fascism from self-appointed liberals and leftists, while the actual fascists are like "Hey, cool beans."

I have heard RPGcodex called many things but never fascist. Do they demand society be controlled by a supreme leader and embrace corporatism? Anyway I knew you were an anarchist revolutionary.

Codex this, Codex that.... 

What does it matter if they don't liked the game? Since when does their opinion matter more than the majority of the bakers of the game? Heck why they even matter more than journalists, reviewers, or other community's?

If they cant see how PoE is a decent game that can become a ****ing classic via updates, expansions and eventually  sequels... well, their problem. They are too late to bash it to pieces (*). The game was a success, most people - even young gamers that never played this kind of games- liked it and now the genre has become alive again. No codex tears can change that.

(*) And there is a really big difference between bashing (bad facts, not event trying to be objective, sensationalist claims etc...) vs constructive examination and/or criticism (The kind of Sensuki has done several times, even if I don't share many ways of thought - FE. I see potential in the engagement system-)

True, its not good, its awesome.

That said, I like turn-based combat much more than RTwP.

And D:OS was friggin amazing, especially in co-op

Congrats. PE combat was made for people who prefer turn-based.

• Like 2

I don't see anything here we can't do in the other thread, however much some people believe their post deserves a new thread unlike everyone else's:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78279-rpgcodex-review-1-h%C5%B5rpa-dwrp/page-29